Coronavirus and Employment

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Saints11

Coronavirus and Employment

Post by Saints11 »

Currently on the job hunt during the worst recession in 300 years (I believe that’s what I read) and it is getting a bit frustrating already.

So far the biggest gripes are

A lack of reply from potential employer

When they do reply, an email staring with ‘unfortunately. . .' :lol:

Endlessly long applications for relatively simple jobs.

Filling out an online form with work and education history and then attaching a CV after all of that.

Then there is the experience circle, everyone wants someone experienced, but how do you become an experienced without the opportunity.

Salaries seem lower than what I remember here for positions I have looked at, I feel some companies are taking advantage of peoples desperation.

Today I was turned down for a job I actually wanted, I felt the telephone interview didn’t go well, so not overly surprised but was hoping I’d get the Skype opportunity.

Fortunately, I have roof over my head (no rent to pay) and a lot of flexibility (no wife, kids, etc) so I can move theoretically anywhere.

I’m worried I’ll have to settle for just about any job I’m given, which in the circumstances I should be grateful for.

I know there are plenty of people worse off than me though.

I’d like to hear how this has affected everyone at work and lives in general.
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Re: Coronavirus and Employment

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

300 years ago we were all farming for wheat and stealing sheep.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm Currently on the job hunt during the worst recession in 300 years (I believe that’s what I read) and it is getting a bit frustrating already.

Filling out an online form with work and education history and then attaching a CV after all of that.

Then there is the experience circle, everyone wants someone experienced, but how do you become an experienced without the opportunity.

Salaries seem lower than what I remember here for positions I have looked at, I feel some companies are taking advantage of peoples desperation.

Today I was turned down for a job I actually wanted, I felt the telephone interview didn’t go well, so not overly surprised but was hoping I’d get the Skype opportunity.

Fortunately, I have roof over my head (no rent to pay) and a lot of flexibility (no wife, kids, etc) so I can move theoretically anywhere.

I’m worried I’ll have to settle for just about any job I’m given, which in the circumstances I should be grateful for.

Welcome to austerity-land. It's a race to the bottom for all.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

The Tick wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:54 am
And endless open-door immigration , legal or illegal makes it all much much worse.
Soon they will run out of taxpayers to support the welfare state . Then it will be an explosion of burglaries and muggings.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

AlcoholBrazil wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 am
The Tick wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:54 am
And endless open-door immigration , legal or illegal makes it all much much worse.
Soon they will run out of taxpayers to support the welfare state . Then it will be an explosion of burglaries and muggings.
A bigger one you mean.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

AlcoholBrazil wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 am 300 years ago we were all farming for wheat and stealing sheep.
The northern sweaties may have been sheep stealers and the six-fingered from the east, growing wheat, but us in the Northern Powerhouse were down t'pit, fueling the Industrial Revolution.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm Currently on the job hunt
Me, too.
I finish my current job in two weeks' time, so am looking around.
Bit of a pisser, because I enjoy my current job a lot, but we've just lost too many clients and my boss can't afford to pay my wages at the moment, unfortunately :(
WOKE AND PROUD

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Have you tried an agency?

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm Currently on the job hunt during the worst recession in 300 years (I believe that’s what I read) and it is getting a bit frustrating already.

It's natural to get disheartened when you don't receive anything back from job applications that you've submitted. However rest assured it happens all the time. Irrespective of recession, depression or a booming economy you'll be lucky to receive anything back from a potential employer if you've not made the interview stage. Even then I've been in the situation several times where I've gone along for the interview and the employer hasn't bothered to tell me i didn't make the shortlist for the next round. That boiled my piss.

With regards to filling out applications. Create a template with all of the standard questions etc. Use the template template going forward. Spend a bit of time creating the template it'll save you time in the long run.

In terms of interviews I've found it's generally around the third interview that i hit my stride. First couple are essentially practise. Come the third one the confidence is there and i'm ready for whatever left field shit house questions they have stored up.

Salaries. Sadly a good number of employers are taking advantage of the depressed economy. However this can work to your advantage. If you're in a situation where needs must and you take a job well below market rate then bide your time for the next 12 - 18 months and move on. Zero loyalty should be your mantra :D

Not sure what field you're in but have you thought of re-training?
A joyless arsehole.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Sadly it’s the sign of the times, I would suggest as well getting on LinkedIn and posting on there. See lots trying that and some are successful.

Still, never fear. Come the New Year we will no longer be tied to the EU and there will be trade deals galore creating loads of employment. Well thats what I have been reading on here. Those lads apparently know their stuff. :rolleyes:

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

shabbado wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 pm

It's natural to get disheartened when you don't receive anything back from job applications that you've submitted. However rest assured it happens all the time. Irrespective of recession, depression or a booming economy you'll be lucky to receive anything back from a potential employer if you've not made the interview stage. Even then I've been in the situation several times where I've gone along for the interview and the employer hasn't bothered to tell me i didn't make the shortlist for the next round. That boiled my piss.

With regards to filling out applications. Create a template with all of the standard questions etc. Use the template template going forward. Spend a bit of time creating the template it'll save you time in the long run.

In terms of interviews I've found it's generally around the third interview that i hit my stride. First couple are essentially practise. Come the third one the confidence is there and i'm ready for whatever left field shit house questions they have stored up.

Salaries. Sadly a good number of employers are taking advantage of the depressed economy. However this can work to your advantage. If you're in a situation where needs must and you take a job well below market rate then bide your time for the next 12 - 18 months and move on. Zero loyalty should be your mantra :D

Not sure what field you're in but have you thought of re-training?
Good advice Shabba and best of luck, Saints. :smt023
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Keep applying; do whatever you can. Set targets – complete several applications per day, or several per week, whatever. Don't become emotionally attached to vacancies; move on quickly if you don't hear anything within days after the deadline.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

subsub wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm
Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm Currently on the job hunt
Me, too.
I finish my current job in two weeks' time, so am looking around.
Bit of a pisser, because I enjoy my current job a lot, but we've just lost too many clients and my boss can't afford to pay my wages at the moment, unfortunately :(
Sorry to hear that, it’s been a similar position for me.

Got the notice a few weeks back they they were entering a consultancy period. Reading between the lines I jumped straight onto the job hunt. Since then I’ve had weekly meetings at work to “explore options” but I’ve suspected all along that they’re going through the motions. Then Friday’s meeting confirmed my suspicions that I, along with quite a few others, are being made redundant.

Fortunately I went straight from that meeting to an interview with another firm. Seemingly that went well as they called me on the way home to offer me the job, it’s a more senior role and the money is better so it’s worked out not too bad.

It’s a shame though because I really enjoyed working where I was and we had a good team, but the directorship has been abysmal and they’ve sleepwalked into the situation we ended up in. It does just go to show the importance of having qualifications, the last two times I’ve been looking for work it’s been a really quick process.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Congrats for you, Sadact. And all with job worries. Must be an awful situation to be in and good luck to you all. :smt023
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?