Coronavirus and Employment

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: Coronavirus and Employment

Post by Carlos J »

lambrini wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:59 am Keep applying; do whatever you can. Set targets – complete several applications per day, or several per week, whatever. Don't become emotionally attached to vacancies; move on quickly if you don't hear anything within days after the deadline.
Wise words, Lambo. The worst you can do, though human, assuming you in the 'new' role.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

Glad to hear it, Sadster.
I've been given an extra month by current employer, and have been offered a couple of decent freelance projects which will cover me to the New Year, which is a weight off my mind :)
WOKE AND PROUD

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

subsub wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:43 pm Glad to hear it, Sadster.
I've been given an extra month by current employer, and have been offered a couple of decent freelance projects which will cover me to the New Year, which is a weight off my mind :)
Good stuff bud, sounds like the current employer is a decent sort at least
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Nice one, sub-o and sad-o.

Difficult times. I work for a FTSE 100-listed company who have announced a load of redundancies. I'm safe but that doesn't make me feel any better. Some great people out of work.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

shabbado wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 pm
Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm Currently on the job hunt during the worst recession in 300 years (I believe that’s what I read) and it is getting a bit frustrating already.

So far the biggest gripes are

A lack of reply from potential employer

When they do reply, an email staring with ‘unfortunately. . .' :lol:

Endlessly long applications for relatively simple jobs.

Filling out an online form with work and education history and then attaching a CV after all of that.

Then there is the experience circle, everyone wants someone experienced, but how do you become an experienced without the opportunity.

Salaries seem lower than what I remember here for positions I have looked at, I feel some companies are taking advantage of peoples desperation.

Today I was turned down for a job I actually wanted, I felt the telephone interview didn’t go well, so not overly surprised but was hoping I’d get the Skype opportunity.

Fortunately, I have roof over my head (no rent to pay) and a lot of flexibility (no wife, kids, etc) so I can move theoretically anywhere.

I’m worried I’ll have to settle for just about any job I’m given, which in the circumstances I should be grateful for.

I know there are plenty of people worse off than me though.

I’d like to hear how this has affected everyone at work and lives in general.
It's natural to get disheartened when you don't receive anything back from job applications that you've submitted. However rest assured it happens all the time. Irrespective of recession, depression or a booming economy you'll be lucky to receive anything back from a potential employer if you've not made the interview stage. Even then I've been in the situation several times where I've gone along for the interview and the employer hasn't bothered to tell me i didn't make the shortlist for the next round. That boiled my piss.

With regards to filling out applications. Create a template with all of the standard questions etc. Use the template template going forward. Spend a bit of time creating the template it'll save you time in the long run.

In terms of interviews I've found it's generally around the third interview that i hit my stride. First couple are essentially practise. Come the third one the confidence is there and i'm ready for whatever left field shit house questions they have stored up.

Salaries. Sadly a good number of employers are taking advantage of the depressed economy. However this can work to your advantage. If you're in a situation where needs must and you take a job well below market rate then bide your time for the next 12 - 18 months and move on. Zero loyalty should be your mantra :D

Not sure what field you're in but have you thought of re-training?
I've had that very experience this week (well the Skype equivalent). I asked when will you let me know regarding the job, they said "At the latest tomorrow"

That was on Tuesday.

Sent a follow up email today, no reply.

A real piss take :x
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

subsub

Post by subsub »

Sadact7 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:00 pm
subsub wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:43 pm Glad to hear it, Sadster.
Good stuff bud, sounds like the current employer is a decent sort at least
Cheers, sad-o.
He's pretty good. He really didn't want to give me the boot, but he had no choice, and I certainly don't take it personally.
He's a big disorganised, so I hope he makes a go of it after I've left.
WOKE AND PROUD

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:34 pm
shabbado wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:55 pm
Saints11 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 pm Currently on the job hunt during the worst recession in 300 years (I believe that’s what I read) and it is getting a bit frustrating already.

Filling out an online form with work and education history and then attaching a CV after all of that.

Then there is the experience circle, everyone wants someone experienced, but how do you become an experienced without the opportunity.

Salaries seem lower than what I remember here for positions I have looked at, I feel some companies are taking advantage of peoples desperation.

Today I was turned down for a job I actually wanted, I felt the telephone interview didn’t go well, so not overly surprised but was hoping I’d get the Skype opportunity.

Fortunately, I have roof over my head (no rent to pay) and a lot of flexibility (no wife, kids, etc) so I can move theoretically anywhere.

I’m worried I’ll have to settle for just about any job I’m given, which in the circumstances I should be grateful for.

It's natural to get disheartened when you don't receive anything back from job applications that you've submitted. However rest assured it happens all the time. Irrespective of recession, depression or a booming economy you'll be lucky to receive anything back from a potential employer if you've not made the interview stage. Even then I've been in the situation several times where I've gone along for the interview and the employer hasn't bothered to tell me i didn't make the shortlist for the next round. That boiled my piss.

With regards to filling out applications. Create a template with all of the standard questions etc. Use the template template going forward. Spend a bit of time creating the template it'll save you time in the long run.

In terms of interviews I've found it's generally around the third interview that i hit my stride. First couple are essentially practise. Come the third one the confidence is there and i'm ready for whatever left field shit house questions they have stored up.

Salaries. Sadly a good number of employers are taking advantage of the depressed economy. However this can work to your advantage. If you're in a situation where needs must and you take a job well below market rate then bide your time for the next 12 - 18 months and move on. Zero loyalty should be your mantra :D

Not sure what field you're in but have you thought of re-training?
I've had that very experience this week (well the Skype equivalent). I asked when will you let me know regarding the job, they said "At the latest tomorrow"

That was on Tuesday.

Sent a follow up email today, no reply.

A real piss take :x
Yeah, it's frustrating. As others have said don't dwell on it. Move on to the next opportunity.
A joyless arsehole.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

How have you been getting on lad?

In a bit Foam Moe

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Sadact7 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:38 pm

I am a fully fledged full time employee once more, not a particularly great job or well paying, but its work from home and seems straightforward enough (just need to work out the nuances and process of things which will take time). I think after that though I should be ok with it.

Already have an eye on next years travel plans
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Saints11 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:17 pm

I am a fully fledged full time employee once more, not a particularly great job or well paying, but its work from home and seems straightforward enough (just need to work out the nuances and process of things which will take time). I think after that though I should be ok with it.

Good on you mate, great news 👍

In a bit Foam Moe

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Saints11 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Congrats! Good luck! Are you on a probation period?
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

I got a bit bored of this place so had an interview with another firm last week.

In Senior Estimator here but in truth being a QS is my profession and what I'm trained for so wanted to get back to doing that. Been offered the job and start a week Monday. That was an awkward conversation to have :lol:

Nonetheless it's even more money so I've gone from redundant a few weeks ago to having gained a £10k p/a pay rise.

I win Binman.

In a bit Foam Moe

subsub

Post by subsub »

Last day of my job today :(
Just had confirmation of redundancy package - will keep me going til end of November, anyway.

Start my first freelance project tomorrow - good timing :)
WOKE AND PROUD

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Started on the bins today. Lasted three minutes.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 pm Started on the bins today. Lasted three minutes.
If only we had a meme involving waste management operatives on this forum I could turn to right now..l

In a bit Foam Moe