Coronavirus and Employment

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Zippy

Re: Coronavirus and Employment

Post by Zippy »

Sadact7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 pm I got a bit bored of this place so had an interview with another firm last week.

In Senior Estimator here but in truth being a QS is my profession and what I'm trained for so wanted to get back to doing that. Been offered the job and start a week Monday. That was an awkward conversation to have :lol:

Nonetheless it's even more money so I've gone from redundant a few weeks ago to having gained a £10k p/a pay rise.

I win Binman.
Great stuff lad. That's a result.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Congrats!
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
Treat me right
I'm still a good man's daughter
Let me in if I break
And be quiet if I shatter

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

Zippy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 pm
Sadact7 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 pm I got a bit bored of this place so had an interview with another firm last week.

In Senior Estimator here but in truth being a QS is my profession and what I'm trained for so wanted to get back to doing that. Been offered the job and start a week Monday. That was an awkward conversation to have :lol:

Nonetheless it's even more money so I've gone from redundant a few weeks ago to having gained a £10k p/a pay rise.

I win Binman.
Great stuff lad. That's a result.

lambrini wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm Congrats!

Thanks folks

Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

blues4ever

Post by blues4ever »

I win Binman.
Congrats and good luck with the new job.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Congrats to Saints, Sadact and Sub on therir new jobs. :smt023
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

S Club 3
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:39 am S Club 3
None want to be racist old cunt O'Meara though:

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

Carlos J wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:23 am Congrats to Saints, Sadact and Sub on therir new jobs. :smt023
Cheers, Carlos.
WOKE AND PROUD

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Lol 😂

( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 pm Lol 😂

“You can’t go in there and go...alright there you wanker, where’s the fuckin’ job mate?”

Worked for me :smt102

Although come to think of it I was brandishing a felling axe at the time
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Sadact7 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:35 pm
lambrini wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:28 pm Lol 😂

“You can’t go in there and go...alright there you wanker, where’s the fuckin’ job mate?”

Worked for me :smt102

Although come to think of it I was brandishing a felling axe at the time
m8!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
( ◡‿◡ )
Treat me right
Let me in if I break

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

To give an update, yes I am on a probation period, but it is a temporary job regardless.

I will be looking for something better as of January, because truth be told, I hate the job I have haha.

But I shall digress now. I was walking to the supermarket earlier this evening and I got thinking about my previous employer, a multi national where I worked for the best part of 5 years. I moved around a bit within the company and they gave me an opportunity which I will always be grateful for by being able to move abroad with them. Then I began thinking about the people I worked with, and how they acted whilst at work. Now this company will have been ravaged by the Coronavirus and will do well to get back to anywhere near what it was like before.

But the people, I worked with some really good, funny, honest people and on the flip side some absolute bell ends. One manager in particular made our working lives a misery, a proper company person; every morning was a bollocking about sales, targets, and generating new business. No matter what you did it was never enough. Fortunately I never took this laying down and the pair of us often had verbals (sometimes because I was sticking up for other employees), other times just backing myself. I think back to some of the things that were said to me and my colleagues and I can honestly hold my head high and be proud that I challenged it.

I was never a company man, I refused to network in my own time, I did not go to the work socials (other than the Christmas party), and I tried to live a healthier work life balance than alot of people within that company. Now I wonder, does she think back to all her actions; the relentless meetings, ripping off customers, working non stop and think "Yeah, I don't regret any of that" or does she maybe realise that there is more to life than the company;s bottom line. Does she think, given everything that has happened now in the world, "was it worth it?"

Does anyone else have similar experiences, people they worked with who took it all too seriously(?), or maybe you were the one obsessed by making yourself and the company money? Its an open forum. . .
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Where I work it's nepotism city. It'll only get worse. I have a temp / rolling contract thing. The only people who get fulltime contracts are FAFs (Family and Freinds). And this is a fucking council-run, publicly-funded organisation (I hate to use that term, there is no fucking organisation). Local Government agencies, in my experience are corrupt and shit. A friend works at the local library. It's just the same. As Boris would say ... spaffing money up the wall.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.