Delightful Places in the UK.

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Delightful Places in the UK.

Post by Basualdo »

As a balance to the 'Depressing places in the UK' thread.

Groomsport, County Down.
A small unpretentious seaside village only about four miles from my house. My favourite place to walk my dog at the weekends. Two pubs (pre lockdown fascism anyway), a small harbour, some relatively quiet beaches, looks out over Island Magee (not an island), Belfast Lough and Scotland - on clear days even the Mull of Kintyre is visible.
Despite the former local manor house hotel being converted into luxury apartments and an upmarket American style beachouse development beside it, it hasn't gone gentrified quite yet. Still has a relatively decent sized and well kept housing estate for us scum to live in.

It was long ago described as being a little bit of Scotland in Ireland. And it, and a lot of the seaside villages further down the peninsula, still do have a bit of an Ayrshire feel.

ImageImageImage
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Rowntree

Re: Surprisingly delightful places in the UK.

Post by Rowntree »

Could they not have built those two tennis courts somewhere else?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Re: Surprisingly delightful places in the UK.

Post by Basualdo »

Rowntree wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:20 pm Could they not have built those two tennis courts somewhere else?
Never really noticed them before to be honest. :D
You can't really see them from the road as they're lower down.
They're on the way in from Bangor, the beaches, pubs and shops are further on past.
Proud Gammon

Sadact7

Re: Delightful Places in the UK.

Post by Sadact7 »

Basualdo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:17 pm
It was long ago described as being a little bit of Scotland in Ireland.
Backhanded compliment or straightforward insult?

Either way, it sounds like the worst thing since ISIS.
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Proud Gammon

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Here's a picture I took in the Spring while walking the dog there one evening. It was a lovely afternoon and all of a sudden a spring storm rolled in. The light was wonderful, almost ethereal but of course I couldn't catch it on the picture. And I liked the way the clouds seem to mirror the skyline.
It started lashing like fuck minutes later. The dog was not happy.

Proud Gammon

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Looks lovely Bas, did you take the picture with a potato?
A joyless arsehole.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Basualdo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:46 pm Here's a picture I took in the Spring while walking the dog there one evening. It was a lovely afternoon and all of a sudden a spring storm rolled in. The light was wonderful, almost ethereal but of course I couldn't catch it on the picture. And I liked the way the clouds seem to mirror the skyline.

Bas, first rule of photography of a lovely scene. Don’t use sepia or photograph when there’s a motherfucking cloud overhead. It doesn’t really paint a favourable picture.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:10 pm
Basualdo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:46 pm Here's a picture I took in the Spring while walking the dog there one evening. It was a lovely afternoon and all of a sudden a spring storm rolled in. The light was wonderful, almost ethereal but of course I couldn't catch it on the picture. And I liked the way the clouds seem to mirror the skyline.

Bas, first rule of photography of a lovely scene. Don’t use sepia or photograph when there’s a motherfucking cloud overhead. It doesn’t really paint a favourable picture.
Who do you think you are? David Bailey?
Proud Gammon

subsub

Post by subsub »

Seaton in Devon. Mrs Subsub and I have spent some very pleasant weeks there:

WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Basualdo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Sorry Bas, I appreciate your waxing lyrical and your words as always are highly descriptive and captivating. I was just being pithy. Are there a lot of coastal beauty spots close to Belfast? On the Scottish side, I drove some years back from Glasgow and for some reason wanted to go to Ayr. There was a really lovely drive there but the place itself was a bit meh.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Durness in the North West Highlands.

The most North Westerly village in the UK. Some of the best beaches in the country are in the area and the fearsome sounding Cape Wrath isn't far away.

The Mrs and i stumbled upon it when we did our own pre-cursor to the North West 500 about 15 years back +

Been back several times since. Lots of changes since we first went. A lot more choices of accommodation.

The nearest city is Inverness and it's a good 2 and a half hour drive away. You're quite literally in the arse end of no where.
A joyless arsehole.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

kancutlawns wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:07 pm
Basualdo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:37 pm

Sorry Bas, I appreciate your waxing lyrical and your words as always are highly descriptive and captivating. I was just being pithy. Are there a lot of coastal beauty spots close to Belfast? On the Scottish side, I drove some years back from Glasgow and for some reason wanted to go to Ayr. There was a really lovely drive there but the place itself was a bit meh.
The Antrim coast road starts about 45minutes drive from Belfast, that's supposedly a world class drive, not sure of that myself.
Strangford Lough is about 20 minutes away.

Newcastle is about an hour away. The town itself is a shithole but the countryside is lovely.

Proud Gammon

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Stunning.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Almost all parts of devon/cornwall.