In-depth debate on all topical issues
Petingo

Re: Last night's Question Time

Post by Petingo »

birdie wrote:
Petingo wrote:
birdie wrote:
Petingo wrote:
finchman wrote:I was once abused for speaking English in the Outer Hebrides, it was in 1974.

They probably thought you were Polish or sommat.

They don’t meet many Wiganers in t’ Outer ‘ebrides, Finch :(

You probably sounded very exotic to the locals

I wonder anyone can understand some of the people from the Isles, there are a few Scots MP's in the Chamber who have very broad accents which I do have difficulty in getting my ears around and I'm not the only one, a few months ago during questions one of them asked Sir Paul Beresford (New Zealand by birth) a question, Sir Paul couldn't quite get the gist so asked him to repeat the question, again, he couldn't understand it so said that perhaps it was because of his antipodean brain but he couldn't understand what the 'honorable gentleman' was saying but if the honorable gentleman put his question in writing he would make sure to reply to him. :P

Going back to what Bonnie Greer said about her Polish friend, she said that the friends daughter was losing her maternal tongue because the mother couldn't speak to her in it on the bus.
That is utter tosh, if the mother speaks to her in Polish at home the couple of hours outside the home isn't going to make any difference, that remark could, by some, be considered just a racist as the alleged abuse quoted by Greer.

That is not what I took from Bonnie's remark, Bird.

I think she said she didn't speak to her in Polish at home because she did not want the daughter speaking to her in that tongue whilst out and so she was trying not to normalize the speaking of it between them.

I was a big taken aback at first and thought "No...that can't be right...not in my liberal England".

But then I realise how the tolerant England of liberal values is under attack from demagoguery spouted by Johnson, Farage and the rest of the Brexit cheerleaders and what she says resonates.

No one on this forum knows how non natives in this country are feeling and as such we are in no position to contradict her.

As much as I don't wish to contradict an elder of the forum, but, with the greatest of respect, I think ole Pet has it slightly, err, incorrect.
If you click on the link Zambo put up to the hated DM you will see that on the video clip la Greer clearly says that the woman doesn't speak to her daughter in Polish whilst in public, she also said, although it isn't on that clip but can be found on catchup, that the daughter was losing her maternal tongue because the mother wont use it in public, that remark is just plain stupid and aimed at stirring up exactly what Greer says she deplores, and anyway, unless the woman came to the UK as a very young child she will speak English with an eastern European accent, a prime example of this is the MP Daniel Kawczynski, who came to England at the age of six and speaks English without any trace of accent.
No child will lose the ability to speak a parental language if it is used at home, so the short time spent on public transport will have no effect whatsoever so Greer is talking sheer twaddle, my husbands father was Italian born, he spoke only Italian at home, English, with an Italian accent, in public, my husband spoke English in public and Italian only with his family, but with an English accent :lol:

I don’t know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.... :)

And never worry or feel apologetic about contradicting ol’ Pet, Bird.

I am well used to being contradicted both online and, more frequently, right here in my own home by both the big girl and the one remaining daughter I have under this here roof :(
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The irony of pro-Brexit Julia Hartley-Brewer shouting that Extinction Rebellion is a quasi-religious death cult thriving on the misery of others. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

kancutlawns wrote:The irony of pro-Brexit Julia Hartley-Brewer shouting that Extinction Rebellion is a quasi-religious death cult thriving on the misery of others. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well the last bit's right anyroad.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

When you see kids crying their eyes out because they have been taught they won't reach adulthood, then she is right.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

To be fair you have managed.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

kancutlawns wrote:The irony of pro-Brexit Julia Hartley-Brewer shouting that Extinction Rebellion is a quasi-religious death cult thriving on the misery of others. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What about this (tasty enough looking) bint?

She “doesn’t know what’s going to happen” yet nowt will convince her she might just be mistaken. :roll:

Brexit in a nutshell: Part CXXII
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

:lol: Flippin’ eck!

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Petingo wrote:

She “doesn’t know what’s going to happen” yet nowt will convince her she might just be mistaken. :roll:

"I knew exactly what I was voting for"

to

"Nobody knows what’s going to happen"

in seconds.

Those two things can’t both be true, yet in her head her argument makes total sense. Doublethink.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Ralph wrote:
Petingo wrote:

"I knew exactly what I was voting for"

to

"Nobody knows what’s going to happen"

in seconds.

Those two things can’t both be true, yet in her head her argument makes total sense. Doublethink.

Absolutely crazy.
Leave voters in a nutshell.
WOKE AND PROUD

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

So Remoan voters have the power of precognition . Pity they never saw the Crashes in 87,93,2001,2008 all under the protective umbrella of the EU in their various guises . Their Nostradamus talents could have been pretty useful .
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

This is the kind of look I get from the big girl when I say sommat which rationally contradicts sommat she has said but refuses to acknowledge it :roll:

She just contorts her gob like the (tasty enough looking though not in this shot) bint did last night :drinkers:

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Anyone watch question time last week?
Laurence Fox looks like a breath of fresh air in the near-100% woke universe that is the acting profession:

Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

The woman in the audience, calling Fox a racist, is a lecturer on race within the education system at a top university.

Any more plants in the audience and they'll have to merge the show with Gardeners World

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hardly a surprise then, with lecturers like that, - immediately pulling out the race card, that we are where we are with the new and upcoming generations of snowflakes.
At least he more than gave as good as he got.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

subsub

Post by subsub »

Roy Twing wrote:Anyone watch question time last week?
Laurence Fox looks like a breath of fresh air in the near-100% woke universe that is the acting profession:

Ha, what a surprise, someone like you sticking up for him... :rolleyes:
WOKE AND PROUD