Re: It's fucking freezing

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

T-Shirt weather for REAL MEN !
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:T-Shirt weather for REAL MEN !
Yup and when they hit 55You will see those real men on their mobility scooters
I heard gods fast but I'd have to go up against him before I believe it

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

The weather forecast we plebs are given is consistently wrong. A few weeks ago I cancelled some work as we were told it was going to hammer down from 9 til 1pm. It spat a bit , sent a small shower but otherwise the weather was fine.

We were promised ten foot drift and the entire country would grind to a halt. BE home by 6pm or risk being stranded. Don't go out unless your journey is essential .. blah blah. :roll:

Nothing happened. They are promising it all on Friday now but that remain to be seen.

I'm sure there is a two tier forecast. One for those who definitely need to know like aircraft, shipping and farmers and the other one we get which costs a fucking fortunes to get wrong. It must be global warming which makes it all so unpredictable.

They predict thunderstorms we don't get and where they might crop up next yet you can see them live on sites like this where each lightning bolt shows up after 2 seconds anywhere in the world : https://www.lightningmaps.org

Or you can see the weather in real time detail on other sites like this https://www.ventusky.com - (this seemed to bear out the lack of torrential rain predicted above)

I looked at this last one on Monday and told a few friends we'd not be getting any snow as the wind currents looked like they were taking it away from us , at least here in the Midlands. Tuesday morning nothing.

Anyway I touted this two tier idea to several people and there did seem consensus that the met office bill is a waste of money and many of their predictions way off. One bloke told me his brother was a farmer and he never ever listened to the BBC forecast. He uses a Norwegian one which happens to go down as far as warwickshire and which is invariable much more accurate.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

m4rkb wrote:The weather forecast we plebs are given is consistently wrong. A few weeks ago I cancelled some work as we were told it was going to hammer down from 9 til 1pm. It spat a bit , sent a small shower but otherwise the weather was fine.

We were promised ten foot drift and the entire country would grind to a halt. BE home by 6pm or risk being stranded. Don't go out unless your journey is essential .. blah blah. :roll:

Nothing happened. They are promising it all on Friday now but that remain to be seen.

I'm sure there is a two tier forecast. One for those who definitely need to know like aircraft, shipping and farmers and the other one we get which costs a fucking fortunes to get wrong. It must be global warming which makes it all so unpredictable.

They predict thunderstorms we don't get and where they might crop up next yet you can see them live on sites like this where each lightning bolt shows up after 2 seconds anywhere in the world : https://www.lightningmaps.org

Or you can see the weather in real time detail on other sites like this https://www.ventusky.com - (this seemed to bear out the lack of torrential rain predicted above)

I looked at this last one on Monday and told a few friends we'd not be getting any snow as the wind currents looked like they were taking it away from us , at least here in the Midlands. Tuesday morning nothing.

Anyway I touted this two tier idea to several people and there did seem consensus that the met office bill is a waste of money and many of their predictions way off. One bloke told me his brother was a farmer and he never ever listened to the BBC forecast. He uses a Norwegian one which happens to go down as far as warwickshire and which is invariable much more accurate.

I use Wunderground.

https://www.wunderground.com

A US site which I have found to be far far more reliable than the Climate change Met Office.

Type your location in the search bar and thats all you need.

It tells me what is likely to within a few hundred yards. And there is even a sky webcam that is just down the road from me and I am not exactly in the midst of throbbing metropolis. Though to be fair, looking out my window gives me the same thing, but still, at least, unlike the Met Office they are making an effort.
They have hundreds of weather stations all over the UK alone. Its in Fahrenheit too if you are fond of being old school. Or if like me you play both sides and use garlicky ℃ for the cold because its sounds better. And then switch back to proper ℉ when its warm for the same reason.

Its currently about -2 here but clear and no sign of snow. But I've heard of small flurries in Belfast 10 miles away. ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

pugsly

Post by pugsly »

Had about 5" of snow up here today and last night temperature about 5- ,no road services i live in a little village on the south west side of Edinburgh, always gets the worst of it, but the roads are quiet and you can drive no problem if your careful and know what to do[ i lived in Canada for a couple of years and learned a few little tips], just been for fuel.
CUNT out running on the roads,nearly clipped the twat and he gave me the finger after i blew the horn, must be training for the world championships next week, another hero out on his bike slipping and sliding all over the place no lights no helmet no hi-viz[ no fuckin brain] good grief.apart from that its a pleasant evening. 8) 8)

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Basualdo wrote:
m4rkb wrote:The weather forecast we plebs are given is consistently wrong. A few weeks ago I cancelled some work as we were told it was going to hammer down from 9 til 1pm. It spat a bit , sent a small shower but otherwise the weather was fine.

I use Wunderground.

https://www.wunderground.com

A US site which I have found to be far far more reliable than the Climate change Met Office.

Type your location in the search bar and thats all you need.

It tells me what is likely to within a few hundred yards. And there is even a sky webcam that is just down the road from me and I am not exactly in the midst of throbbing metropolis. Though to be fair, looking out my window gives me the same thing, but still, at least, unlike the Met Office they are making an effort.
They have hundreds of weather stations all over the UK alone. Its in Fahrenheit too if you are fond of being old school. Or if like me you play both sides and use garlicky ℃ for the cold because its sounds better. And then switch back to proper ℉ when its warm for the same reason.

Its currently about -2 here but clear and no sign of snow. But I've heard of small flurries in Belfast 10 miles away. ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!

Cheers Bas. I shall add that one to the list.

BiB - Exactly!!

The Climate change Met Office's report seems to contradict even a task as simple as looking out of the window. :?

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

When I was in the RAF in Scotland I never rode my M/cycle home without first visiting
the bases met station they'd give me a report of what weather I was likely to meet on the trip when I would meet it and they were always correct. The forecasters on the telly haven't a clue.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

m4 colin wrote:

When I was in the RAF in Scotland I never rode my M/cycle home without first visiting
the bases met station they'd give me a report of what weather I was likely to meet on the trip when I would meet it and they were always correct. The forecasters on the telly haven't a clue.

Which was presumably correct given it was the RAF.

On a more important note. What was the bike?

m4 colin

Post by m4 colin »

BSA A65L 650cc Quite a big bike for those days But not nowadays

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

This is world record paranoia
Now they are lying to you about the weather are they?
In my experience, the Met Office,which the BBC use, is pretty much invariably right. Where it is inaccurate sometimes is the time it will take for a weather pattern to arrive.
I did work that often involved being outdoors for the majority of the day and I can't remember a wrong forecast.
Seems like the rest of the world agrees that it is excellent
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/w ... /forecasts
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Less than 4 weeks until the county cricket season starts.

#firstdayofspring
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Hillman avenger wrote:

In my experience, the Met Office,which the BBC use, is pretty much invariably right. Where it is inaccurate sometimes is the time it will take for a weather pattern to arrive.
I did work that often involved being outdoors for the majority of the day and I can't remember a wrong forecast.

You did work that often involved working outside. :lol: :lol:
God. If only I'd have had that benefit before making my comment.

But I guess that explains why people like farmers (as mentioned) prefer different sources and won't listen to it.

Your trust in everything BBC is about 30 years out of date mate. Their insistence on accuracy has been replaced by propaganda and bullshit.

Two Crows

Post by Two Crows »

What gives with all the snow? Metres deep. Just as well we live on a bank as all below us looks avalanched.

I'm surposed to go to work at 3pm, need to get my trusty snowplow revved up.

Took this photo outside our garden this morning. Scary stuff man. :?

Dieu Le Roi.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

m4rkb wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

You generalise from one experience. But get upset when others do it.

But I guess that explains why people like farmers (as mentioned) prefer different sources and won't listen to it.
To be precise one farmer. The great majority use the BBC which provides forecasts especially for them, as with the shipping forecast.
Your trust in everything BBC is about 30 years out of date mate. Their insistence on accuracy has been replaced by propaganda and bullshit.
It's actually the Met Office not the BBC. Try looking at the link.

It's interesting that it's the current snow that has prompted this thread. People are surprised by its severity. Yet when I was growing up it happened probably two winters out of three. And for longer. But nothing like that pattern for 20 years now. I imagine you believe this is all bullshit but actually it's a product of shifting weather patterns due to climate change. If you really know a farmer, talk to him about how climate change is affecting farming. It is, substantially. You appear to think that reporting the weather , which demonstrates the validity of climate change, is a lefty plot. Much like the BBC reporting news that doesn't suit your prejudice.
One of dozens
https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report ... griculture
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Hillman avenger wrote:
m4rkb wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

You generalise from one experience. But get upset when others do it.

To be precise one farmer. The great majority use the BBC which provides forecasts especially for them, as with the shipping forecast.
It's actually the Met Office not the BBC. Try looking at the link.

It's interesting that it's the current snow that has prompted this thread. People are surprised by its severity. Yet when I was growing up it happened probably two winters out of three. And for longer. But nothing like that pattern for 20 years now. I imagine you believe this is all bullshit but actually it's a product of shifting weather patterns due to climate change. If you really know a farmer, talk to him about how climate change is affecting farming. It is, substantially. You appear to think that reporting the weather , which demonstrates the validity of climate change, is a lefty plot. Much like the BBC reporting news that doesn't suit your prejudice.
One of dozens
https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/report ... griculture

There is a difference between climate change and global warming.

Climate change has always happened. Or at least, for as long as we can tell.