High street collapse

In-depth debate on all topical issues
theleader82

Re: High street collapse

Post by theleader82 »

Since m and s stopped making their clothes in the uk the quality went downhill. Also with the middle classes shrinking in numbers they were losing their customer base.
Man U and rangers

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

I have often seen myself as Dr Harold Steptoe from the movie KORNBURGER, likening most situations to dusty african townships
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

LordLaret

Post by LordLaret »

theleader82 wrote:Since m and s stopped making their clothes in the uk the quality went downhill. Also with the middle classes shrinking in numbers they were losing their customer base.

I find myself spending more in M+S on food then I am getting clothes there and I do get some clothes there. Surprised they don't just seperate the clothing and food as the food seems to be more profitable for them then the clothing.
"My Profile Signatures Were Crap, So I Got Rid Of Them."

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Thing with M&S, is its good gear, but its SO unfashionable, to the point where they sell virtually timeless items like suits, but the cut is decades behind what anybody else whos not a member of the british legion would dare to wear.
Build Back More Betterer

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

This is very frustrating because people are focussing on the quality and price of their underpants instead of the important issue

'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

L

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

House of Fraser is the latest large employer to begin the slow process of winding up by closing stores and sacking people.

What needs to happen before people notice the globalists are packing up their belongings and setting off for other places to asset strip ?

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Royal24s wrote:House of Fraser is the latest large employer to begin the slow process of winding up by closing stores and sacking people.

What needs to happen before people notice the globalists are packing up their belongings and setting off for other places to asset strip ?

I checked.
Virtually all owned by Nanjing Xinjiekou Department Store Co,

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Royal24s wrote:House of Fraser is the latest large employer to begin the slow process of winding up by closing stores and sacking people.

Not a lot can be done really. Brexit has made them staying here unprofitable.

Weird that, innit. Trying be insular clowns turns the world away. Who woulda thunk it.

But honestly, it's a good thing.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Eaststand on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build Back More Betterer

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Eaststand wrote:

Not a lot can be done really. Brexit has made them staying here unprofitable.

Weird that, innit. Trying be insular clowns turns the world away.

People losing their jobs is a price worth paying for the Brexiter zealot politicians. As long as it benefits them they don’t care.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/ ... ket/07/02/

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

It's got to get worse to get better.

Said no one sane ever.

Build Back More Betterer

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

So you think the owners are happy to take a hit in the hundreds of millions to move on?
And you think HOF is an example of asset-stripping...as they junk dozens of assets?
It has been badly managed for decades.
I don't know where they taught you economics or business, but you deserve your money back.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Has anyone actually ever bought anything from house of fraser? I know I haven't.

That might be the cause as to why they're fucked. Just a thought.

Build Back More Betterer

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

It's the same old story of be special or be cheap.
HOF thought it was in the "be special" category but it wasn't; or at least its customers didn't perceive it as such.
If you go into a business like this, unless it owns valuable properties (which it didn't) pretty much all you are buying is stock and goodwill. I suspect that HOF hadn't got much goodwill when its current owners bought it.
It's interesting that it had/has Chinese owners. In China at present any "bling" business does really well and they may not have detected the differences here.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Their Manchester store was, for decades, the store to visit. It was actually owned originally by Harrods.
Quality goods, especially clothes, excellent staff, and however crowded, it always seemed quiet. That was because all the sales floors were carpeted.
Since being taken over by HoF it has always seemed to e going slowly down-market.