T.V advertising

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Roy Twing

Re: T.V advertising

Post by Roy Twing »

warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:I think Roy’s missing the point of adverts (unless he thinks adverts are going persuade people to start multi racial families?)
They’re to advertise a product to as wide a spectrum of people in the shortest time, if you see an advert for something and in it all the people are white for instance black people may subconsciously think that said product isn’t for them, this course works any way round you wish, so obviously to try to include as many variations of people would be the obvious way of achieving the maximum power of the advert.

My point was that broadcasters in general over-represent vastly the actual level of integration in society.
It happens equally in tv shows but this is a thread about advertising.
My brief check last night (as anyone else who watched can verify) showed that my point was proven, - only one of the ads where friends or families were shown was not multi ethnic,

The question really should be why do you perceive that as a problem, what difference will it make to your life?

The question really should be why do you (apparently) perceive misrepresentation of british society into an 'idealised' version as acceptable, given the well known power of manipulation by broadcast media.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I think the BBC are worse than any advertiser considering they push this agenda to the extreme and do not do adverts anyway.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Actually on second thoughts you can add all other broadcast media to that as they are now refusing to consider BAFTA nominations on the ground of lack of diversity. And the films are bombing.

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

You wouldn't mind ugly people on adverts will you?

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:I think Roy’s missing the point of adverts (unless he thinks adverts are going persuade people to start multi racial families?)
They’re to advertise a product to as wide a spectrum of people in the shortest time, if you see an advert for something and in it all the people are white for instance black people may subconsciously think that said product isn’t for them, this course works any way round you wish, so obviously to try to include as many variations of people would be the obvious way of achieving the maximum power of the advert.

My point was that broadcasters in general over-represent vastly the actual level of integration in society.
My brief check last night (as anyone else who watched can verify) showed that my point was proven, - only one of the ads where friends or families were shown was not multi ethnic,

The question really should be why do you perceive that as a problem, what difference will it make to your life?

The question really should be why do you (apparently) perceive misrepresentation of british society into an 'idealised' version as acceptable, given the well known power of manipulation by broadcast media.

You really don’t get advertising do you, plus I live in London, there’s no misrepresentation from where I’m standing.
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

ccreds wrote:You wouldn't mind ugly people on adverts will you?

Ugly people used to be the best musicians. Now they're unacceptable

Come to think of it ugly people were picked on ability. Something else which went out of the window especially with politicians.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

ccreds wrote:You wouldn't mind ugly people on adverts will you?

Ocean finance didn't.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:

I live in London, there’s no misrepresentation from where I’m standing.

Therein lies the nub of the issue.

'Tailless foxes', I call them.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:

Yeah and I call them bigoted old dinosaurs ;-)
Brilliantly Honest

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

The advertising industry exists to sell us stuff (we don’t need). That’s it. Anyone seeing some other agenda is drifting into the realms of paranoia.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Ralph wrote:The advertising industry exists to sell us stuff (we don’t need). That’s it. Anyone seeing some other agenda is drifting into the realms of paranoia.

Ignoring the fact that there may well be additional agendas at work, don't you find the methodology at all worrying?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

subsub

Post by subsub »

m4rkb wrote:I wouldn't bat an eyelid if a mixed race couple passed me in the street

:---)
WOKE AND PROUD

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Royal24s wrote:
Ralph wrote:The advertising industry exists to sell us stuff (we don’t need). That’s it. Anyone seeing some other agenda is drifting into the realms of paranoia.

Ignoring the fact that there may well be additional agendas at work, don't you find the methodology at all worrying?

I’m concerned about the ability of incredibly wealthy zealots to spend as much as they like on social media influencing elections under a cloak of secrecy. That needs to be reigned in ASAP.

I’m not worried about too many pretend mixed race families in insurance & yoghurt adverts during episodes of Coronation Street. I’m baffled why anyone would be.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Royal24s wrote:

I don't.
And i have to ask what exactly would this agenda be trying to achieve? Everyone has a choice whether or not to watch ads, whether its by fast forwarding past them, or simply making a cup of tea, this isn't George Orwell's 1984 with one channel you can't turn off.

I know i saw some ads during yesterdays episode of the chase, and i genuinely can't remember a single one, that's how much of an impact they have.

I'm also now wondering how long before the phrase " do the research sheeple" appears in this thread.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
warmleatherette wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:

Yeah and I call them bigoted old dinosaurs ;-)

Indeed, that's the tailless fox default setting :wink:
E & OE