T.V advertising

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

T.V advertising

Post by Royal24s »

Prompted by the thread on Syria and the general comment I made, I'm genuinely interested to know somerthing.
What do people here think about the commercials they see on TV ?
Do you like or enjoy any if them ?
Which ones do you find most informative and entertaining ?
Do you think they're pretty honest on the whole, and are you satisfied that this aspect is effectively monitored by the State for your protection ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Roy Twing

Re: T.V advertising

Post by Roy Twing »

Food for thought.
Although I rarely watch tv (much less adverts) these days, one of the most blatant bits of 'brainwashing' (for want of a better word) in, it seems, all adverts of late, is the fact that in advert land, every family and group of friends is now multi-cultural/racial, - just like in the real world, eh folks?
I assume there is some sort of advertisers' (and of course broadcasters, it seems) code of conduct which stipulates the makeup of such groups (to what end I can only speculate)
When you sit back and think about it, it is frightening just how easily a society on the whole can be manipulated.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

ffs Roy, is this the first thing you think about when judging everything in life. Do you actually count the number of non-white people wherever you go? :roll:

I can't remember ever buying anything which I've seen in a TV ad, although maybe I have once or twice. Have always thought they were a waste of advertisers money. It can cost £40k for one for 30 secs during peak periods apparently. Many of them are ridiculous. I've just seen one where a bloke is ravishing a bird up against a wall, and it's about a packet of crisps. What's that all about :D Car adverts also piss me off, with vehicles been driven 'Top Gear' style, going through sandstorms, tsunamis, driving to the edge of a cliff etc etc. Just tell us about the fucking car.

I do have a favourite though which makes me laugh every time I see it, and that is the Specsavers ad, with the vet and the hat and the cat.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

Roy Twing wrote:in advert land, every family and group of friends is now multi-cultural/racial, - just like in the real world, eh folks?

:roll:
WOKE AND PROUD

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Zambo wrote:ffs Roy, is this the first thing you think about when judging everything in life. Do you actually count the number of non-white people wherever you go? :roll:

Well, I must say, I expected that reaction from the usual apologists zambo, but you have surprised me.
Perhaps you could comment as to whether my observation is justified or not, and then debate it, rather than this silly ad hominem knee-jerk reaction that is engendered to kill such debate.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Roy Twing wrote:
Zambo wrote:ffs Roy, is this the first thing you think about when judging everything in life. Do you actually count the number of non-white people wherever you go? :roll:

Well, I must say, I expected that reaction from the usual apologists zambo, but you have surprised me.
Perhaps you could comment as to whether my observation is justified or not, and then debate it, rather than this silly ad hominem knee-jerk reaction that is engendered to kill such debate.

Roy, it was a genuine question. You seem to find a way of bringing multiculturalism into almost every thread. You often call those who disagree with you blinkered, but just try and see how your posts look to others, and make some allowance for and be tolerant, of that. So there are some black people, they may also be gay, in tv adverts. If you look through your window you may well see some out and about in the street just going about their daily business. Surely recognising that this is the norm isn't being brainwashed.

If you are saying there is some over-representation, quota fulfilling, and prejudice, let's have some backup.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

Don't expect evidence from the guy. This is the modern world where experts are treated with disdain and evidence is frowned upon. I just saw the Haliifax ad with Top Cat and the gang and by golly one of those cats was brown. So maybe he has a point. :shock:
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Serious question:

Does anyone actually see TV adverts now?

I don't.

I/we (in my house) record everything & just zap through the ads.

Even live football games I don't sit down to watch until 20 or so mins after the start.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Strawman. Godwins.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Lou Grant wrote:Don't expect evidence from the guy. This is the modern world where experts are treated with disdain and evidence is frowned upon. I just saw the Haliifax ad with Top Cat and the gang and by golly one of those cats was brown. So maybe he has a point. :shock:

You can't say golly anymore, Lou

No longer the Bridesmaid

He just did

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

And got away with it :shock:

I called the internet police, but the cunts aren't answering

No longer the Bridesmaid

That gif on speed dial in this bailiwick

theleader82

Post by theleader82 »

Roy Twing wrote:Food for thought.
Although I rarely watch tv (much less adverts) these days, one of the most blatant bits of 'brainwashing' (for want of a better word) in, it seems, all adverts of late, is the fact that in advert land, every family and group of friends is now multi-cultural/racial, - just like in the real world, eh folks?
I assume there is some sort of advertisers' (and of course broadcasters, it seems) code of conduct which stipulates the makeup of such groups (to what end I can only speculate)
When you sit back and think about it, it is frightening just how easily a society on the whole can be manipulated.

I’ve noticed it too Roy. You’re not the only one .
Man U and rangers

Desolation

Post by Desolation »

Roy Twing wrote:Food for thought.

You are not alone Roy, I've noticed it too and commented such to some friends/family recently.
Proud Gammon and imperious Little Englander!