T.V advertising

In-depth debate on all topical issues
kancutlawns

Re: T.V advertising

Post by kancutlawns »

Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:the evidence is there for all to see - you are the one denying that evidence

Oh dear.
Roy makes a ridiculous claim and when people call him out on it, he tries to say that they're the ones with the problem.
Same old, same old… :rolleyes:

I will give it another try this evening between 5 and 6pm - if back in time.
(Remember, the claim was 'every family and group of friends is now multi-cultural/racial').

I can hardly wait.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

genehunt1973 wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:Food for thought.
Although I rarely watch tv (much less adverts) these days, one of the most blatant bits of 'brainwashing' (for want of a better word) in, it seems, all adverts of late, is the fact that in advert land, every family and group of friends is now multi-cultural/racial, - just like in the real world, eh folks?
I assume there is some sort of advertisers' (and of course broadcasters, it seems) code of conduct which stipulates the makeup of such groups (to what end I can only speculate)
When you sit back and think about it, it is frightening just how easily a society on the whole can be manipulated.

+1

And another. Seems like there's more of us than you'd think.

It's not that anyone dislikes any of the people in these adverts because of their background which is the usual brainless accusation made by the usual brainless suspects, it's an aversion to an obvious and deliberate agenda which is being forced down our throats , now seemingly by some code of conduct or even the law.

Some people just don't like being told what to think or silently brainwashed into what the correct thought processes should be.

But as far as adverts themselves go , I can't say I've ever been influenced by one regarding the product being advertised. An advert for beer will most likely result in me fancying the one of my choice not what they're pushing.

I have noticed one thing though, people are amazingly responsive to imagery which seems to be the best way to promote a product. Some rarely even mention the product but have lavish background sets which somehow appeal most to people.

For instance, if you've got a tense nervous headache the tablets would work equally well on some bloke whose just fell out of bed from the night before but we always get a beautifully groomed middle class housewife from plush suburbia.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

But seriously, in this day and age you can watch most telly, and dodge the ads quite easily, when i watch programmes i want to be totally immersed in it, and not have tradepoint don yelling about cylinder switches right after a dramatic plot point, so as has been mentioned above I'll pause a programme or set it to record, buzz off and do something else, and start watching after enough times gone by to scoot though the ads.

However, i have been thinking for a while that when I'm fast forwarding ads at 30X i can still get the point of them, some sinister way of still making you see them i wonder?
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:the evidence is there for all to see - you are the one denying that evidence

Oh dear.
Roy makes a ridiculous claim and when people call him out on it, he tries to say that they're the ones with the problem.

(Remember, the claim was 'every family and group of friends is now multi-cultural/racial').

:lol: make sure you give Rishtey or any West African channels a swerve, Roy. Make sure you focus on whites only TV :lol:

warmleatherette

Post by warmleatherette »

I think Roy’s missing the point of adverts (unless he thinks adverts are going persuade people to start multi racial families?)
They’re to advertise a product to as wide a spectrum of people in the shortest time, if you see an advert for something and in it all the people are white for instance black people may subconsciously think that said product isn’t for them, this course works any way round you wish, so obviously to try to include as many variations of people would be the obvious way of achieving the maximum power of the advert.
Brilliantly Honest

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

warmleatherette wrote:I think Roy’s missing the point of adverts (unless he thinks adverts are going persuade people to start multi racial families?)
They’re to advertise a product to as wide a spectrum of people in the shortest time, if you see an advert for something and in it all the people are white for instance black people may subconsciously think that said product isn’t for them, this course works any way round you wish, so obviously to try to include as many variations of people would be the obvious way of achieving the maximum power of the advert.

Nail on head.
It just boils down to company A trying to convince you to buy their stuff, and they don't want some twitter arsehole creating a shitstorm, so the advert is made as bland as a Microsoft website stock photo.

But i have to say i love the AA ad with the little girl seemingly singing Tina turner, if i wasn't already a member i would genuinely consider a membership with them.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

As someone who listens to ten times more ads on the radio than I watch on telly, It's a personal safe space against it.

warmleatherette

m4rkb wrote:As someone who listens to ten times more ads on the radio than I watch on telly, It's a personal safe space against it.

Against what?
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

warmleatherette wrote:
m4rkb wrote:As someone who listens to ten times more ads on the radio than I watch on telly, It's a personal safe space against it.

Against what?

The alleged problem.

Like I say I have no gripe with any of the people involved but it does seem to be driven more by obsessive diversity freaks than a natural progression. You don't get any of it on the radio so it's not likely to be an issue there.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Zambo wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:

Oh dear.

I still haven't seen any opinions of why the fuck it matters who it is, who is trying to persuade you to buy a hoover, some washing up liquid, or get your eyes tested. Maybe it's just another example of paranoia about the invaders taking over the natives, or something like that.

Well some people might think it matters that there's a whole science and a lucrative industry in creating false impressions in the minds of stupid people and thus taking advantage of them. Indeed, some people might notice that there are striking similarities between the methodologies of advertisers and political spin doctors, and even wonder whether this is quite ethical.

Now, if you still can't see a problem, try to consider the potential outcomes of such methodologies, such as big wars , disenfranchisement and hollocausts. Goebbels more or less invented this, or at least developed it into a precise discipline, ( subject). He rewarded those who unquestioningly implemented it with minor positions of power you know.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

warmleatherette wrote:I think Roy’s missing the point of adverts (unless he thinks adverts are going persuade people to start multi racial families?)

My point was that broadcasters in general over-represent vastly the actual level of integration in society.
It happens equally in tv shows but this is a thread about advertising.
My brief check last night (as anyone else who watched can verify) showed that my point was proven, - only one of the ads where friends or families were shown was not multi ethnic,
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:
Zambo wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
subsub wrote:

Oh dear.

I still haven't seen any opinions of why the fuck it matters who it is, who is trying to persuade you to buy a hoover, some washing up liquid, or get your eyes tested. Maybe it's just another example of paranoia about the invaders taking over the natives, or something like that.

Well some people might think it matters that there's a whole science and a lucrative industry in creating false impressions in the minds of stupid people and thus taking advantage of them. Indeed, some people might notice that there are striking similarities between the methodologies of advertisers and political spin doctors, and even wonder whether this is quite ethical.

Now, if you still can't see a problem, try to consider the potential outcomes of such methodologies, such as big wars , disenfranchisement and hollocausts. Goebbels more or less invented this, or at least developed it into a precise discipline, ( subject). He rewarded those who unquestioningly implemented it with minor positions of power you know.

Sorry, you lost me, and it might be in there somewhere, but what has that got to do with a mixed race family advertising a box of Kelloggs Rice Krispies, and why it matters who advertises it?

As for advertisers taking advantage of stupid people, that's their problem, but the country is full of them, otherwise Blair would never have been PM.

The point I was discussing with Roy, was the perceived over representation of non white people being used in broadcasting advertising, not Nazi politicians or Holocausts.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

warmleatherette

Roy Twing wrote:

My point was that broadcasters in general over-represent vastly the actual level of integration in society.
It happens equally in tv shows but this is a thread about advertising.
My brief check last night (as anyone else who watched can verify) showed that my point was proven, - only one of the ads where friends or families were shown was not multi ethnic,

The question really should be why do you perceive that as a problem, what difference will it make to your life?
Brilliantly Honest

warmleatherette

Royal24s wrote:

You’ve just used advertising and ethics in the same paragraph, that’s comedy gold, I bet you’re upset that the BBC don’t have adverts, I wonder what they would be like?
Brilliantly Honest

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I don't think it remotely matters to most people in real life. But we're talking advertising here and my gripe is not that it does not represent reality but it deliberately distorts the levels amongst adults.

Kids don't give a fuck who their friends are so a multi ethnic row of them tucking into a bowl of rice crispies is far closer to the truth than the enforced use of mixed race partnerships in adults. Again this would not bother me in reality as I wouldn't bat an eyelid if a mixed race couple passed me in the street.

Unfortunately when we tune into the tv or see other adverts it seems to be yet another forced agenda by the burgeoning diversity industry whose job it is to spend all day causing trouble and creating divides by pointing out there are too many white people everywhere.