Debate and Discussion

In-depth debate on all topical issues
AlcoholBrazil

Re: Debate and Discussion

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Being called Racist in the 2020s will become a badge of honour as well as the new word for patriot.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Sid Pervcat wrote:
Zambo wrote: No, I'm 560 days younger. You old codger.

:shock: :shock:

You're 68??

Fuck where did that come from :oops: Did I mean months? :D

No, must be somewhere in between :wink:

Age is just a number anyway, well that's what I keep trying to tell my body.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:Being called Racist in the 2020s will become a badge of honour as well as the new word for patriot.

Well hopefully, people will be able to hold a grown-up conversation about the matter. At the moment, it's like the Salem witch trials, or McArthyism in the 1950s.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Darkyboy wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:Being called Racist in the 2020s will become a badge of honour as well as the new word for patriot.

Well hopefully, people will be able to hold a grown-up conversation about the matter. At the moment, it's like the Salem witch trials, or McArthyism in the 1950s.

Labelling people anti-Semites, traitors or racists just because you don’t agree with them is not grown up conversation. You need to examine your own behaviour before you start complaining about other people.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

'The Echo understands Sir Christopher objected on the grounds the measure had not been subject to a full debate.'

wtf is there to debate. A poor attempt to cover up his warped agenda,
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Darkyboy wrote:

Each side says they want to have a grown-up conversation as if they think they have the higher moral ground. It’s only opinions on a faceless messageboard though. Does it really matter unless someone’s trolling to get a reaction? I do remember posters getting into a flap with the word “gammon” and turning it into a term of racist abuse when it is nothing of the kind.

Are you saying that posters here are subject to Salem witch trials?

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Zambo wrote:'The Echo understands Sir Christopher objected on the grounds the measure had not been subject to a full debate.'

wtf is there to debate. A poor attempt to cover up his warped agenda,

He’s got a bee in his bonnet about private members’ bills. I don’t understand what his complaint is.

He’s blocked a number of bills that 99.9% of the population would support. It’s time he packed it in. It’s juvenile. If he doesn’t he shouldn’t whinge when people (even MPs in his own party) get furious with him.
Last edited by Ralph on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

kancutlawns wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:

Each side says they want to have a grown-up conversation as if they think they have the higher moral ground. It’s only opinions on a faceless messageboard though. Does it really matter unless someone’s trolling to get a reaction? I do remember posters getting into a flap with the word “gammon” and turning it into a term of racist abuse when it is nothing of the kind.

Are you saying that posters here are subject to Salem witch trials?

Of course people claim the moral high ground continually. That is why the "gammon" term was discussed at length. It was to show that the section of the forum that shout "racist" most often, are more than capable of using ethnic slurs. If you do not think that the term is an ethnic or racist term, then that is your opinion. But if a term of abuse is based on ethnicity, then it can be interpreted as so. To paraphrase Zambo "it's not black and white", as other factors determine what makes a term racist eg, is a black person calling another black person "nigger" racist; because it usually is when a white person says it...

Posters here are subject to trial by social media. The results are not the same as witch trials, but the mentality that drives the finger-pointing, is exactly the same. People feel the need to accuse others of whatever is deemed socially unacceptable at that time. Whether it's witchcraft, communism, being gay or whatever. More often than not, they are driven by the fear of having the finger pointed at them.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

It's the Muslims and Jews that are missing out. Porcine-derived meat is one of the tastiest and finest you can cook.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

There’s abolutely no parallel bereeen calling someone gammon and nigger. Nigger’s been used as a derogatory and offensive word over decades in this country and I genuinely have never heard ‘gammon’ used to describe someone before this year. There are absolutely no parallels between calling someone a niigger, wog, coon, Paki, nip, Yid and gammon. darky, are you genuine offended personally by ‘gammon”.

How do you mean that posters here are subject to trial by media? There are probably no more than half a dozen regular posters in D&D and unless one says anything libellous or offensive, you’re hardly likely to lose your livelihood, marriage or home. I go back to Roy whose lazy, vindictive retort to being questioned on his posting style was to call others racist. He was doing the same that he accused others of doing to him. I think that people really need to stop being precious and take it as well as giving it out. Who is worried by the fear of having fingers pointed at them?

I really am struggling to get my head around the racism you accuse others of showing white people by calling them gammon.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Would it be acceptable to describe an irate brown person as an 'angry curry face'?

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

If you don't want to be thought of as a racist, don't post racist stuff. If you say anything like "I've got nothing against" "I'm not saying all of them" "disproportionate" the stuff after those statements are racist.

Its pretty simple.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

kancutlawns wrote:There’s abolutely no parallel bereeen calling someone gammon and nigger. Nigger’s been used as a derogatory and offensive word over decades in this country and I genuinely have never heard ‘gammon’ used to describe someone before this year. There are absolutely no parallels between calling someone a niigger, wog, coon, Paki, nip, Yid and gammon. darky, are you genuine offended personally by ‘gammon”.

How do you mean that posters here are subject to trial by media? There are probably no more than half a dozen regular posters in D&D and unless one says anything libellous or offensive, you’re hardly likely to lose your livelihood, marriage or home. I go back to Roy whose lazy, vindictive retort to being questioned on his posting style was to call others racist. He was doing the same that he accused others of doing to him. I think that people really need to stop being precious and take it as well as giving it out. Who is worried by the fear of having fingers pointed at them?

I really am struggling to get my head around the racism you accuse others of showing white people by calling them gammon.
It's called being upset for being called out on their own opinions. People want to hate and blame minorities for everything with no repercussion.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Kowalski wrote:Would it be acceptable to describe an irate brown person as an 'angry curry face'?

It was make the name caller look rather stupid and they would be laughed at if they said such a thing. Curry is a food dish associated with people who originate from the subcontinent so to call someone ‘curry face’ isn’t the same as calling someone a non-indigenous meat product.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

It's still calling someone names on the basis of their colour.

If you find that acceptable then that is fine but you have to be consistent.

If you don't like the insult 'curry face' then you shouldn't really go around calling people 'gammon'.

It just stinks of hypocrisy and double standards.