Debate and Discussion

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Darkyboy

Re: Debate and Discussion

Post by Darkyboy »

Eaststand wrote:Its not a racial insult though. Any sane person knows that. There is no connotations of ownership, no history of serious degradation to generations of your family. But you know this, I know you know what racism is, this is just playing a forum game, it has to be.

I'm white. I cant think Im superior to the white race when I say gammon. I can just think some of my counterparts are thick racist cunts. Thats not racist.

Jesus christ this is stupid, I'm out.

Again. You are not looking at the whole picture. You are seeing things purely from the point of view, of you insulting another white person. An insult is all about context. Me calling a pal of mine "my nigger" is ok, if he is happy with being called that by close friends. A group of white men baiting a black guy by using the same phrase is totally different. And if you are saying that racism is purely a white trait, then you are wrong; by dictionary definition and in law. If you were on your own and were surrounded by a group of black or Asian men calling you "white trash" or "gammon scum", would that not be a racial insult? You seem to have a very yes/no attitude to the situation and do not realise, life is not like that.
Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

White people only turn gammon if they are too stupid to use adequate sun-screening protection.
White people can get a lovely shade of Christian Ronaldo if they take care.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Darkyboy wrote:
Eaststand wrote:Its not a racial insult though. Any sane person knows that. There is no connotations of ownership, no history of serious degradation to generations of your family. But you know this, I know you know what racism is, this is just playing a forum game, it has to be.

I'm white. I cant think Im superior to the white race when I say gammon. I can just think some of my counterparts are thick racist cunts. Thats not racist.

Again. You are not looking at the whole picture. You are seeing things purely from the point of view, of you insulting another white person. An insult is all about context. Me calling a pal of mine "my nigger" is ok, if he is happy with being called that by close friends. A group of white men baiting a black guy by using the same phrase is totally different. And if you are saying that racism is purely a white trait, then you are wrong; by dictionary definition and in law. If you were on your own and were surrounded by a group of black or Asian men calling you "white trash" or "gammon scum", would that not be a racial insult? You seem to have a very yes/no attitude to the situation and do not realise, life is not like that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing is, you can stop being a gammon by stopping being a racist piece of shit.

You cant stop being black.
Build Back More Betterer

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Zambo wrote:Calling someone gammon face is no way racist. It's just taking the piss out of people who blow a gasket and turn red, neck and above. It's not even an insult really. We are talking about a group of white people calling another group of white people gammon. If anyone cares they can start a petition, and they get over 100,000 sigs, the Commons may debate it.

Is there a Gammon race, no, then it aint racist.

btw never heard the term curryhead, only curry muncher.

This is red, white and black as most things are.

I refer you to my previous post. Context is everything when it comes to racial insults. Otherwise, why would the law be framed to account for the victim's perception of the insult?

As for there being no gammon race, there's no abid race, no wetback race or spic race. But they are insults used in a derogatory way about groups of people. It's not a question of starting a petition or anything like that. But it is a question of pointing out that once ethnicity is brought into an insult, it can take on racist connotations.

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Eaststand wrote:
Darkyboy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The thing is, you can stop being a gammon by stopping being a racist piece of shit.

You cant stop being black.

No, because "gammon" doesn't mean racist piece of shit does it? It specifically refers to a white person and you cannot stop being white; the same as you cannot stop being black.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Yes it does. It's referring the mindset.

But you know that anyway.
Build Back More Betterer

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Eaststand wrote:Yes it does. It's referring the mindset.

But you know that anyway.

No it doesn't. Check the definition that you supplied:

A term used to describe a particular type of Brexit-voting, middle-aged white male, whose meat-faced complexion suggests they are perilously close to a stroke.

ie, nothing to do with racism, but quite a lot to do with being white.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Oh yeah, I totes forgot brexit voting is a skin pigmentation and not a mindset.

Silly me.
Build Back More Betterer

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Eaststand wrote:Oh yeah, I totes forgot brexit voting is a skin pigmentation and not a mindset.

Silly me.

So you missed the "white" part of the description? Yes, silly you.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Why would you call a pal of yours a n*gger and why would he be happy with you calling him a n*gger? :? By the same token, would you be happy with your mate calling you 'white trash'? I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to be associated with anyone calling me derogatory names. And 'gammon scum'? Seriously?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Darkyboy wrote:

I didn't say racism is purely a white trait, nor did I remotely suggest it. I do agree with context though, and if I was surrounded by a gang of black people calling me gammon scum, then I would consider that racist. However, we are not talking about that here are we!? I remind you of your own opinion about context. I haven't seen any report of the word gammon or gammon face which I consider to be remotely racist.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

exactly. But he knows this.
Build Back More Betterer

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

kancutlawns wrote:Why would you call a pal of yours a n*gger and why would he be happy with you calling him a n*gger? :? By the same token, would you be happy with your mate calling you 'white trash'? I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to be associated with anyone calling me derogatory names. And 'gammon scum'? Seriously?

Again you are not reading what has been written and it's all about context. "My nigger" can be a term of affection, especially in the US. Would I be comfortable using it, no, but some people are. A black mate calling me honky or white trash, wouldn't bother me, if we were joking around, but a stranger using those terms would be different. If you call a mate a "stupid cunt" it's not the same as yelling it at a stranger when stuck in traffic is it?

Darkyboy

Post by Darkyboy »

Zambo wrote:I didn't say racism is purely a white trait, nor did I remotely suggest it. I do agree with context though, and if I was surrounded by a gang of black people calling me gammon scum, then I would consider that racist. However, we are not talking about that here are we!? I remind you of your own opinion about context. I haven't seen any report of the word gammon or gammon face which I consider to be remotely racist.

But that is why it's not "black and white". Just because it hasn't happened, that does not mean it cannot and will not happen. It's something that will be open to interpretation. The insult could become a general term for white people, the same as other racial insults, that were used to denigrate other peoples. Any number of terms viewed as racist today, were not considered racist by previous generations. And if ten years ago, you said that transphobia would be a thing, people would have laughed at you.

PG30

Post by PG30 »

Darkyboy wrote:
Zambo wrote:I didn't say racism is purely a white trait, nor did I remotely suggest it. I do agree with context though, and if I was surrounded by a gang of black people calling me gammon scum, then I would consider that racist. However, we are not talking about that here are we!? I remind you of your own opinion about context. I haven't seen any report of the word gammon or gammon face which I consider to be remotely racist.

But that is why it's not "black and white". Just because it hasn't happened, that does not mean it cannot and will not happen. It's something that will be open to interpretation. The insult could become a general term for white people, the same as other racial insults, that were used to denigrate other peoples. Any number of terms viewed as racist today, were not considered racist by previous generations. And if ten years ago, you said that transphobia would be a thing, people would have laughed at you.

Take some time

Did you ever imagine that grow up be the kind of person who pretends to get offended in some kind of faux outrage over a cut of meat?

I don’t see why you’re going out of your way to defend a wall of gammon

Hit a bit too close to home?