Hurricane Florence

In-depth debate on all topical issues
m4rkb

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by m4rkb »

Hillman avenger wrote:
m4rkb wrote:Anyone who works outside and / or requires an accurate forecast knows all about the BBC's efforts. I've lost countless days due to their ineptitude and one day earlier this year cancelled everything due to the dire warnings only to see the sun shining brightly.

Whilst moaning about this to one of my suppliers, he said his brother was a farmer and got his weather from Norway which went all the way down to Warwickshire and would not go near the BBC.

Nowadays I use Ventusky.com where you can literally see it for yourself and make your own mind up.

We were recently told we'd have loads of violent thunderstorms here in Brum yet a quick look on that site suggested otherwise. You can instantly see who will get them due to their superbly accurate arrows pointing in various directions about all kinds of weather related things.

It was so accurate I could predict we's be getting a rumple of thunder in about half and hour but nothing much. Almost to the minute, it happened.

The BBC is frankly more interested in bollocking on about global warming than giving us the weather. Plus the hundreds of millions going into the met office are ending up in someone's back pocket rather than being invested in proper forecasts.

Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers runs a weather site as well called Action Weather of something like that which strives to overturn the GW narrative and simply give us better forecasts. Fair fucks to him I say.

Even for you, a truly ridiculous post.
The weather forecasts never refer to global warming.
Perhaps you would also like the news to eliminate reference to major weather events, in case it makes people wonder what's going on?
After all you seem to see any intrusion of reality as some kind of a plot.

But you surpassed it. :D

All true. Ask any roofer or anyone really reliant on the weather. I am often reliant on a good forecast otherwise I'd not have noticed.

Not that you know anyone who does anything as menial as working outdoors in a typical working class job.

That blokes brother who's a farmer mean more to me than anything you've got to say.

subsub

Post by subsub »

m4rkb wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
m4rkb wrote:Anyone who works outside and / or requires an accurate forecast knows all about the BBC's efforts. I've lost countless days due to their ineptitude and one day earlier this year cancelled everything due to the dire warnings only to see the sun shining brightly.

Whilst moaning about this to one of my suppliers, he said his brother was a farmer and got his weather from Norway which went all the way down to Warwickshire and would not go near the BBC.

Nowadays I use Ventusky.com where you can literally see it for yourself and make your own mind up.

We were recently told we'd have loads of violent thunderstorms here in Brum yet a quick look on that site suggested otherwise. You can instantly see who will get them due to their superbly accurate arrows pointing in various directions about all kinds of weather related things.

It was so accurate I could predict we's be getting a rumple of thunder in about half and hour but nothing much. Almost to the minute, it happened.

The BBC is frankly more interested in bollocking on about global warming than giving us the weather. Plus the hundreds of millions going into the met office are ending up in someone's back pocket rather than being invested in proper forecasts.

Jeremy Corbyn's brother Piers runs a weather site as well called Action Weather of something like that which strives to overturn the GW narrative and simply give us better forecasts. Fair fucks to him I say.

Perhaps you would also like the news to eliminate reference to major weather events, in case it makes people wonder what's going on?

All true. Ask any roofer or anyone really reliant on the weather. I am often reliant on a good forecast otherwise I'd not have noticed.

Not that you know anyone who does anything as menial as working outdoors in a typical working class job.

That blokes brother who's a farmer mean more to me than anything you've got to say.

Your paranoia/stupidity knows no bounds.
Now bleating about the Beeb because you claim it ruined your day because the weather didn't quite go as planned.
Desperate stuff.
WOKE AND PROUD

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

m4rkb wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

Have you ever fallen off a roof before ?

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Jonathan wrote:
m4rkb wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

Have you ever fallen off a roof before ?

Good question and the answer is no. I fucking hate heights and generally refuse to go up them after a certain point but fortunately I know plenty of lunatics who like to do things like handstands on the edge of a block of flats.

I don't do ladders much either as everyone I've ever know who goes up one has fallen off - bar me :D

Send some other cunt up instead has always been my philosophy. But I do own a drone

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Nobody doubts that weather forecasts are important to people, including me.

And I'd say it's at least 90% accurate, and when it's wrong that's more often than not misjudging the speed at which a weather front will arrive.

WTF does this have to do with Brexit anyway?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Hillman avenger wrote:Nobody doubts that weather forecasts are important to people, including me.

And I'd say it's at least 90% accurate, and when it's wrong that's more often than not misjudging the speed at which a weather front will arrive.

Who mentioned Brexit?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Hillman avenger wrote:Nobody doubts that weather forecasts are important to people, including me.

That's strange, I find about 90% inaccurate. Must be because I voted Leave. Is that the connection you are looking for? People who voted out, are crap at analysing the accuracy of weather forecasts as well.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Hillman avenger

Isn't it?
No, I am not looking to associate Leave with distrusting weather forecasts.
I was asking what the topic had to do with Brexit.
I pay attention to the forecast maybe 4 or 5 days a week because I will be out walking, in the garden or so on.
I don't remember the last time it was wrong except in the timing of showers, etc.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Hillman avenger wrote:Isn't it?
I pay attention to the forecast maybe 4 or 5 days a week because I will be out walking, in the garden or so on.
I don't remember the last time it was wrong except in the timing of showers, etc.

That's funny, maybe it's hard to get forecasts correct where I live. I also used to try and plan outside activities based on weather forecasts, but gave up a long long tie ago. The only time they get it right, is if there is either a ridge of high pressure stretching from Lands End to beyond the Azores, or the Atlantic is teaming with depressions all coming our way.

Hillman avenger

Don't know
Where do you look for your forecasts?
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/w ... /forecasts
Have a look where it tells you how many forecasters licence its model.
The forecasters in the US have identified Florence about week ago and since then predicted its track, especially on land, to within about 10 miles either way.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Hillman avenger wrote:Don't know
Where do you look for your forecasts?
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/w ... /forecasts
Have a look where it tells you how many forecasters licence its model.
The forecasters in the US have identified Florence about week ago and since then predicted its track, especially on land, to within about 10 miles either way.

Yeah, hurricanes tend to be big and easy to spot, but the day to day stuff is very poor in the main.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Zambo wrote:

That's funny, maybe it's hard to get forecasts correct where I live. I also used to try and plan outside activities based on weather forecasts, but gave up a long long tie ago. The only time they get it right, is if there is either a ridge of high pressure stretching from Lands End to beyond the Azores, or the Atlantic is teaming with depressions all coming our way.

Really ? Where do you look ? I find the weather app I use pretty accurate as are the local forecasts on BBC news.
Its not 1987 :wink:

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Jonathan wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Really ? Where do you look ? I find the weather app I use pretty accurate as are the local forecasts on BBC news.
Its not 1987 :wink:

Weather apps are shit, on my iPhone anyway. I actually go onto the Beeb website for the weather and they tend to be quite reliable.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

As I said, the forecasts where I am are shite. I have no idea why, nor do I care, as I pay no attention to them. What are particularly laughable on the BBC web forecasts are the frequency they change them. ITV are no better. I used to tweet the local presenter, and it became a joke, with things like 'you said it would be dry so I cleaned the car and one hour later it was pissing down'. His standard retort was they couldn't get it right all of the time. They could manage it most of the time during settled weather, but when it was changeable, I may just as well have stuck my fucking head out of the back door.

If I'd have been that shit at my job, I would have been sacked.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

This hurricane never happened, the MET office got it wrong, as usual.
Build Back More Betterer