British backpacker Grace Millane murdered in NZ

In-depth debate on all topical issues
carcinogen

British backpacker Grace Millane murdered in NZ

Post by carcinogen »

Back in my youth I did the whole back-packing bullshit, albeit I didn't have millionaire parents to back my sojourn. I spent many a night in yoof-hostels so I do have some sense of the scene although 20 years ago social media didn't exist.

This is what I don't understand. Apparently Grace used Tinder and hooked-up with some random guy. A guy who murdered her. Now, from what I read, Grace is a vivacious confident, intelligent and pretty young woman. A girl like Grace, in a hostel, would have absolutely no problem finding a cute bloke to have fun with. Why on EARTH would she use Tinder to find a date? It just doesn't add-up.

I think the real story is this: Social Media has profoundly affected the confidence of young women today. They seek to curate an image of themselves to the world to their own detriment. They are deeply insecure about their looks and have become caught into what is called 'the cult of achievement'. By that I mean, one can only feel any true worth by having 'achieved' something (writing a book for example), where in actuality a person's self-worth should be measured on who they actually are, not what one has done or how others perceives one to be on Instagram or Twitter.

Of course, young men have been corrupted too. But I'll go into that if there's any interest in this thread.

“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Lou Grant

Re: British backpacker Grace Millane murdered in NZ

Post by Lou Grant »

Thanks again for using a tragic news event to project to us your analysis of young women, because lord knows a middle aged man such as yourself is bound to have a brilliant insight into how young women act and feel in the modern world.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Lou Grant wrote:Thanks again for using a tragic news event to project to us your analysis of young women, because lord knows a middle aged man such as yourself is bound to have a brilliant insight into how young women act and feel in the modern world.

Do you not think it odd that she used Tinder? That's my point. Whatever you perception of me is irrelevant mate. I think my analysis of the affect of social media on young people is prescient. Why the fucking hate?
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

carcinogen wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:Thanks again for using a tragic news event to project to us your analysis of young women, because lord knows a middle aged man such as yourself is bound to have a brilliant insight into how young women act and feel in the modern world.

Do you not think it odd that she used Tinder? That's my point. Whatever you perception of me is irrelevant mate. I think my analysis of the affect of social media on young people is prescient. Why the fucking hate?

It's not. You have absolutely zero insight into how young minds work nor do you have any authority about young women, educated ex- footballers or ethnic minorities. Well pretty much most of the human race. I don't think anyone hates you here, we just feel a sense of awe about how social disconnection and lack of accuracy in just about every one of your anecdotal experiences.

Why a middle aged male misfit feels the need to go into the more salacious and sexual details of an alleged murder of a young female backpacker is beyond me.
Last edited by kancutlawns on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Good job you don't have an opinion on cricket or tennis, Carc .
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

So bizzare that I should recieve so much ire from a story I read in a national newspaper. Please, either add something to my point or contant me via social media and tell me how shit I am. Nobody in this forum wants to read the evidence about how certain members of this forum are fixated by me and my posts.

I'll try and boil it down to zeros and ones, and I don't want criticisms of me I just want some thoughtful opinion, are you ready? Can you handle this? Because if you can't and resort to slagging me off I'll know that you have some mental issues: "Has Social Media affected the self-worth of young women today?". It's a 'yes' or 'no' answer, I'd like some elaboration if possible, but I'll settle for a binary response.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Why don't you draw up a straw poll and actually have the balls to approach them to ask a load of people disinterested about your "look at me, look at me, how brave and edgy I am by getting titillated about a woman backpacker murdered and sharing this on social media"? Don't bother answering as it's easy to sit here behaving like a cock and hiding behind your keyboard. Why aren't you at work by the way?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Please don't let this boil over into a tit for tat load of personal bollocks.

There is a question here, and that is really all that needs answering

"Has Social Media affected the self-worth of young women today?".
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

I'm not a young woman, so giving my opinion as a 50 yr old man who doesn't really use social media is pretty much going to be bollocks.

I reckon as I represent the demographic of this forum fairly accurately, I doubt we have many others on here that can give a worthwhile view.

My point was not to abuse the OP - I genuinely want to know why he feels the need to 'debate' a story like this, that's all. I'm not trying to stop him debating it though and nor should you be trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't post (as long as they aren't breaking the rules of the forum).
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Nobody said your point was abusing anyone, but there were signs that the thread was in danger of descending. My post was made in the hope that it would stop that happening.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Zambo wrote:Nobody said your point was abusing anyone, but there were signs that the thread was in danger of descending. My post was made in the hope that it would stop that happening.

Then why not have a thread titled "Social Media" rather than using a titled " British backpacker Grace Millane murdered in NZ" which gives us an indication that he's taking the piss out out of someone who has been killed who happened to use Tinder? Seems a little crass or perhaps he was genuinely naively conflating two separate issues.

Can you rename the title to Social Media instead please Zummers to stop wrong conclusions from being drawn? If it's about the young backpacker being murdered then have the discussion but if it's about Social Media which it seems to have become, it has little to do with the thread title.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I give up.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Lou Grant wrote:I'm not a young woman, so giving my opinion as a 50 yr old man who doesn't really use social media is pretty much going to be bollocks.

I reckon as I represent the demographic of this forum fairly accurately, I doubt we have many others on here that can give a worthwhile view.

My point was not to abuse the OP - I genuinely want to know why he feels the need to 'debate' a story like this, that's all. I'm not trying to stop him debating it though and nor should you be trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't post (as long as they aren't breaking the rules of the forum).

I’m a nearly 40 year old bloke so what do I know...... BUT a 20 year old using a dating app doesn’t leap off the page as something out of the ordinary or irresponsible. :?

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

carcinogen wrote:Fucking hell, I'm just trying to provide content. Jesus. Do you really think I believe the shite I post? Shame on you.
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

every fucking person uses tinder nowadays. I dont understand what you're talking about.
Build Back More Betterer