British backpacker Grace Millane murdered in NZ

In-depth debate on all topical issues
theleader82

Re: British backpacker Grace Millane murdered in NZ

Post by theleader82 »

I think it’s a bit risky young women travelling on their own staying in hostels . You don’t know who you could be sharing a room with. You’d expect to be safer in New Zealand though
Compared to Thailand .
Man U and rangers

cahill

Post by cahill »

Does seem a bit odd that the context of a young woman being murdered is used to generate a discussion about self worth, beliefs and attitudes of young people and the use of social media

cahill

Post by cahill »

theleader82 wrote:I think it’s a bit risky young women travelling on their own staying in hostels . You don’t know who you could be sharing a room with. You’d expect to be safer in New Zealand though
Compared to Thailand .

I'd have thought that hostels were quite safe. She appears to have been murdered by someone living in a hotel, maybe even in it.

finchman

Post by finchman »

Eaststand wrote:every fucking person uses tinder nowadays. I dont understand what you're talking about.

I don't (use tinder)
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

cahill wrote:
theleader82 wrote:I think it’s a bit risky young women travelling on their own staying in hostels . You don’t know who you could be sharing a room with. You’d expect to be safer in New Zealand though
Compared to Thailand .

I'd have thought that hostels were quite safe. She appears to have been murdered by someone living in a hotel, maybe even in it.
yeah, another case of someone not really reading the story. Hostels are generally safe, you're never really on your own, women dont tend to get killed in them, a lot of these cases are from hitch hiking, or hotel incidents like this one.
Build Back More Betterer

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

finchman wrote:
Eaststand wrote:every fucking person uses tinder nowadays. I dont understand what you're talking about.

I don't (use tinder)

You live on your own land though Fincho, so tinder wouldnt work, it wouldnt find any nearby matches.
Build Back More Betterer

Reg

Post by Reg »

carcinogen wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:Thanks again for using a tragic news event to project to us your analysis of young women, because lord knows a middle aged man such as yourself is bound to have a brilliant insight into how young women act and feel in the modern world.

Do you not think it odd that she used Tinder? That's my point. Whatever you perception of me is irrelevant mate. I think my analysis of the affect of social media on young people is prescient. Why the fucking hate?

effect
Roy IN!!

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Reg wrote:
carcinogen wrote:
Lou Grant wrote:Thanks again for using a tragic news event to project to us your analysis of young women, because lord knows a middle aged man such as yourself is bound to have a brilliant insight into how young women act and feel in the modern world.

Do you not think it odd that she used Tinder? That's my point. Whatever you perception of me is irrelevant mate. I think my analysis of the affect of social media on young people is prescient. Why the fucking hate?

effect

Your

Reg

Post by Reg »

kancutlawns wrote:
Reg wrote:
carcinogen wrote:

effect

Your

your
Roy IN!!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

“What is the reason for the fucking hate?”

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

carcinogen wrote:Back in my youth I did the whole back-packing bullshit, albeit I didn't have millionaire parents to back my sojourn. I spent many a night in yoof-hostels so I do have some sense of the scene although 20 years ago social media didn't exist.

This is what I don't understand. Apparently Grace used Tinder and hooked-up with some random guy. A guy who murdered her. Now, from what I read, Grace is a vivacious confident, intelligent and pretty young woman. A girl like Grace, in a hostel, would have absolutely no problem finding a cute bloke to have fun with. Why on EARTH would she use Tinder to find a date? It just doesn't add-up.

I think the real story is this: Social Media has profoundly affected the confidence of young women today. They seek to curate an image of themselves to the world to their own detriment. They are deeply insecure about their looks and have become caught into what is called 'the cult of achievement'. By that I mean, one can only feel any true worth by having 'achieved' something (writing a book for example), where in actuality a person's self-worth should be measured on who they actually are, not what one has done or how others perceives one to be on Instagram or Twitter.

Of course, young men have been corrupted too. But I'll go into that if there's any interest in this thread.

Carc does make some interesting points though about social meeja. Yes, to Landlord, a lot of people use Tinder now, some just to shag, some for dates, and there have been dating/fucking sites on the net since it started and before that in papers and elsewhere. But why need Tinder when travelling when there are plenty of people around to actually talk to and then fuck? Of course she might be fed up with other travellers and some bad hygiene and wanted to meet a local to show her around then fuck, who knows.

With dating, you only see the full picture, not filtered* when you meet. Online personas are not always real and catfishing has gone on for years. Of course when meet, you might just think fuck it and fuck them and move on, same as some whore visitors do with 'bait and switch' girls.

*But mention of filtered and Carc's point about 'curating an image of themselves to the world to their detriment'. Last week I was in that London with some ladies, and yes the other side of 30 and they were talking selfies. Later when I saw then, all had been through a 'beauty filter', skin was flawless, I barely recognised one. It was natural to them, described as just fun and decided not to ponder it with them further.

We went to that Madame Tussauds, was ok, but it was fascinating people watchg there. So many woman talking selfies with waxwork celebs doing various extremes of duckface, whereas most blokes being photographed were just smiling, a few diong a cool not fussed look

This is a decent article about it: https://epigram.org.uk/2018/04/03/snapc ... ty-ideals/ based on this piece: https://epigram.org.uk/2018/03/22/a-cal ... a-realism/
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Love hairy: 8)

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

black_guardian

Post by black_guardian »

Zambo wrote:Nobody said your point was abusing anyone, but there were signs that the thread was in danger of descending. My post was made in the hope that it would stop that happening.

The thread title is misleading. If it was a straightforward question it should be done as a poll. Instead it just reads as a random, unfocused rant.

Mods - do your jobs and get this corrected.
<Doctor...you will die for this...!>

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

RIP. A disgusting way for an innocent to be taken from her life, family and friends. It’s a shameful and heinous crime.

There’s a wider conversation to be had about social dating in general but this poor girl was desperately unlucky.

I suspect the Kiwi’s will find the bastard, pronto. Somebody knows something.