Stuff the BBC don't report

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Zambo

Re: Stuff the BBC don't report

Post by Zambo »

Simply not cricket. After an umpires review, the decision was NOT OUT.

Wasn't this a private and not pubic rant though.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

Zambo wrote:Simply not cricket. After an umpires review, the decision was NOT OUT.

I don't know, Zambo.

It was on twitter. I thought that was public? I'm not on it

Anyway, public or private, it is now out in the public.

Baker instantly apologised for a 'stupid mistake', but was sacked anyway.

Has Aggers offered an apology?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

There's no coming back from an ism Steve.
Isms are more serious than crimes because they upset very sensitive people on the Internet, and might possibly indicate various opinions which are forbidden.

We've all heard 100 jokes by now which definitely mean what Danny Baker might have implied, but there's a big difference in countries like this between what people say publicly and in private. It was the same in the soviet bloc you know , where people held whispered conversations on busses but looked around suspiciously in case strangers were listening - I recall that in Poland some years ago.

If we ever introduce execution again, it'll probably be for isms or fake news rather than murder, which is pretty common now and perhaps better dealt with by a fixed penalty notice or caution.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I used to work in ISM.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Royal24s wrote:There's no coming back from an ism Steve.
Isms are more serious than crimes because they upset very sensitive people on the Internet, and might possibly indicate various opinions which are forbidden.

We've all heard 100 jokes by now which definitely mean what Danny Baker might have implied, but there's a big difference in countries like this between what people say publicly and in private. It was the same in the soviet bloc you know , where people held whispered conversations on busses but looked around suspiciously in case strangers were listening - I recall that in Poland some years ago.

If we ever introduce execution again, it'll probably be for isms or fake news rather than murder, which is pretty common now and perhaps better dealt with by a fixed penalty notice or caution.

The big difference here of course, is that Agnew did not post a picture of a monkey in a coat.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Indeed, and yet the PG tea company have been getting away with it for years
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

subsub

Post by subsub »

Steve Hunt wrote:
Zambo wrote:Simply not cricket. After an umpires review, the decision was NOT OUT.

I don't know, Zambo.

It was on twitter. I thought that was public? I'm not on it

It was private. He sent Liew various Direct Messages on Twitter, calling him a cunt in some of them.
I thought Liew's article was rather snide and skirted around what he clearly wanted to say, but Aggers is a precious twat at the best of times.
But the two of them have been at odds for years, after Liew made some jibe about Aggers being too "middle England" for some…
WOKE AND PROUD

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:The big difference here of course, is that Agnew did not post a picture of a monkey in a coat.

There was rather more to it than that, Zambo, as well you know.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:The big difference here of course, is that Agnew did not post a picture of a monkey in a coat.

There was rather more to it than that, Zambo, as well you know.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Good to see the Beeb take strong, decisive action against racist tweets, anyway.
WOKE AND PROUD

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

subsub wrote:Good to see the Beeb take strong, decisive action against racist tweets, anyway.

I don't think Baker is a racist, subster.

He's a lot of things, but not a racist, imo.

He thought he was being clever making a statement on class & privilege and didn't think it (& the connotations) through properly.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Steve Hunt wrote:
subsub wrote:Good to see the Beeb take strong, decisive action against racist tweets, anyway.

He thought he was being clever making a statement on class & privilege and didn't think it (& the connotations) through properly.

He was either completely wasted, or he had a very senior moment. Posting a monkey up with the arrival of a mixed race baby, left his employers with no choice at all. They could have stood by him and backed up his reasoning, but people and organisations these days haven't got the bottle. They are petrified of the backlash from the professional offence taken club. Doing that stuff these days is worse than committing murder in some peoples books. It's become an obsession, an hysteria.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Zambo wrote:
Steve Hunt wrote:

He was either completely wasted, or he had a very senior moment. Posting a monkey up with the arrival of a mixed race baby, left his employers with no choice at all. They could have stood by him and backed up his reasoning, but people and organisations these days haven't got the bottle. They are petrified of the backlash from the professional offence taken club. Doing that stuff these days is worse than committing murder in some peoples books. It's become an obsession, an hysteria.

It is nice to see one of the PC brigade getting the medicine though.
Maybe that's the inevitable consequence of 'PC gone mad', - like ouroboros, it will swallow itself and disappear - if there's any justice.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The police investigation into this is a farce, as is most situations like it. People on our streets are dying from knife and gunshot wounds, and they put resource into this bollocks, to appease the cretins who throw their arms up at every opportunity.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Zambo wrote:The police investigation into this is a farce, as is most situations like it. People on our streets are dying from knife and gunshot wounds, and they put resource into this bollocks, to appease the cretins who throw their arms up at every opportunity.

Unfortunately, as you know, the police have little choice if even one person regards Baker's actions as a racist incident, then, thanks to a certain ridiculous Macpherson report recommendation, it is automatically a racist incident, and MUST be investigated.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE