Death Penalty for Terrorists

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

Death Penalty for Terrorists

Post by Royal24s »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 11651.html

I've always been JUST against the death penalty , but looking at some of the evidence in the inquests following the Islamic Terrorist attacks at London Bridge I wonder whether it's needed for those who carry out , encourage or assist in such incidents.

In this case the culprits got the brass verdict at the scene,so it doesn't arise , but if that hadn't happened would they even deserve a trial or did they cross a line between committing a crime and committing an act of war ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

VeritasVincit

Re: Death Penalty for Terrorists

Post by VeritasVincit »

They might have difficulty claiming it as an act of war; an attack on civilians, not wearing uniform.
I thought that those caught out of uniform were shot, or was that only the nazis in WW2

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

It would be a start !!
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

VeritasVincit wrote:They might have difficulty claiming it as an act of war; an attack on civilians, not wearing uniform.
I thought that those caught out of uniform were shot, or was that only the nazis in WW2

Well it's one of the tests of a spy in the Geneva Convention and you can shoot spies in a declared war.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I don't think it's unimaginable that we could introduce primary legislation defining actions by an individual which will be considered an act of war and thus responded to with military force, and without recourse to law.

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

They would just become Martyrs for others, a stupid idea.
Godwin's law

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

ToRmAtO wrote:They would just become Martyrs for others, a stupid idea.

I thought that they all wanted to become martyrs, so they could claim their virgins.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I think they become martyrs according to that religion anyway. It might well discourage recruitment and community support, and send a message to the British public and the world that it's being taken seriously.
The Israelis punish their families but I don't think we could entertain that, even though it does work to some extent.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Dead martyr v Cost of housing one till he dies
No contest !!
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

+1

Much as I like the sentiment of the death penalty I feel this is the correct answer.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

What else are they going to do then, kill people a bit more ?
I don't think second guessing the mentality of terrorists or giving into them works, in fact I know it doesn't .
Maybe the actual suicide bomber himself wouldn't be deterred , ( though it's doubtful whether all of them know they're getting blown up), but those who help them organise attacks and shield them might not like the idea of being raided by soldiers who won't be sending for the duty solicitor or the local labour MP

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

I prefer the unofficial death penalty which would have been the best option for the 400+ jihadis returning from IS in Syria - namely a military wipe out.

It worked to a large degree as I reckon there would have been thousands more re-entering Europe had they not been dealt with by this method.

Most of the terrorists aren't serious Islamists who are the real danger. They tend to be easily impressionable losers taken advantage of by the proper Islamists who clearly aren't persuaded by the 72 virgins argument themselves or there would be no Islamists at all ; they will have been the first to blow themselves up in pursuit of paradise.

You will not normally get to meet a proper Islamist as they want nothing to do with you or anyone else from the west. You will meet all the relative moderates instead.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I imagine the Russian Army are doing something like that to the last vestiges of Isis as we speak . Such a shame !

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

m4rkb wrote:

+1

Much as I like the sentiment of the death penalty I feel this is the correct answer.

I don't.

Personally, I'd execute all of them & film it.

Then send a video of each execution to ISIS.

We need to adopt a tougher stance with these animals.

Putin executed a load of them and then buried them in pig skins (apparently this stops them going to heaven and hooking up with 72 virgins). He filmed the executions & burials and sent it to ISIS. I see nothing wrong with this at all. Fight fire with fire.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Well I was going to mention the use of pigs in this and other ways but I thought it'd upset people here too much. It was used successfully by the British in India and by other nations in conflict with them.
No one wants to return to medieval barbarity but in dealing with a philosophy steeped in the cruelties of that age you cannot apply compassion or modern moralities because they simply don't understand it.