Mexit : Consevative Leadership Contest

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Hillman avenger

Re: Mexit : Consevative Leadership Contest

Post by Hillman avenger »

Now it seems he is prepared to suspend Parliament so as to get it done.
Shameful.
The same people who banged on about the "sovereignty of our Parliament".
Yes right
Mind, it is possible the EU will not go along with it. I believe the Act requires the EU to believe the withdrawal has been based on our will. Suspending Parliament would suggest not.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Hillman avenger wrote:Now it seems he is prepared to suspend Parliament so as to get it done.
Shameful.
Yes right
Mind, it is possible the EU will not go along with it. I believe the Act requires the EU to believe the withdrawal has been based on our will. Suspending Parliament would suggest not.

An unelected Prime Minister shutting down Parliament so he can get the no deal Brexit he wants & nobody voted for.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Hillman avenger wrote:Now it seems he is prepared to suspend Parliament so as to get it done.
Shameful.
Yes right

The EU have absolutely no say in the matter. Are you hoping for a German invasion or something ?
I think the people you are talking about were banging on about the sovereignty of the people rather than that of parliament . Parliament is sovereign only upon the basis that , unlike the Lords, it is mandated by the people.
They have no legal or moral authority to overturn elections, and if they should attempt to do that, then parliament should certainly be suspended.

It's surprising and quite extraordinary that some mp's have attempted to misuse parliamentary process to subvert the popular vote , but requires an extraordinary remedy.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Hillman avenger

You are wrong again.
In our constitution MPs are expected to behave according to what they see, hear and believe. They are not expected to be rubber stamps for their constituency. As I have said before, if they were, Rees-Mogg and the DUP, among others would have had to support Remain.
And as for exit, read the details around Article 50. It requires the country withdrawing to show it is doing so in accordance with its constitution and the wishes of its people. A PM going to them having suspended his own parliament in order to do it would be met with some scepticism and even hostility. They would also know that to agree anything would leave them open to a legal action by British people who feel their government has acted illegally.
It really is remarkable that you lecture us so frequently about democracy and integrity and yet when major acts which affront both are committed in front of you , it's fine with you.
Just as in the US, you have a President who is threatening people who respond to subpoenas to testify before the peoples' elected representatives, that's fine; when he encourages the nation's senior legal officer to lie to that body, that's fine..when he goes on national TV to invite foreign powers to interfere once again in their elections..that's fine. When he does all he can to subdue or eliminate challenge from the media, that's fine too.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

No.
Nobody suggested that MPs have to reflect the wishes of their constituents on all matters.

However, they swear an oath to respect the democratic process, and the house voted in favour of a referrendum during which it was clearly stated that they would enforce the outcome.
For what it's worth they also voted on Article 50.

Now, as far as your persistent implication that our whole democracy is subservient to the EU or Germany, well that's nonsense. An Act of Parliament can end our membership with or without triggering Article 50.
Your dream of seeing German troops on our streets to prevent independence is a fantasy, and the implication that the British people can be compelled to remain in the EU by whatever foreign power you're loyal to is offensive to the memory of those who fell driving them away last time.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I think BoJo will be maneuvered out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... l#comments
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I don't know what he's on about, they aren't gaffes, they just keep missing the 'is a' out :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... l#comments

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Why are you spamming the board with Daily Mail articles? If we want to read the Daily Mail we’ll go to their website.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Ralph wrote:Why are you spamming the board with Daily Mail articles? If we want to read the Daily Mail we’ll go to their website.

I could find those reports in a number of places. If the DM links offend you, tough shit. Ignore my posts and the links if they upset you so much. Do you ever stop whining?

Look, I've had second thoughts, I'm going to be pro-active. We can't have the lefties upset, and getting tetchy and angry because they next thing we'll have is goading and insults. I shall take a well earned break from posting. Let's say a week to start with.

We don't want this happening, let the flight run smooth

ps I won't be able to answer any replies as Lawns told me I seriously need to address my life and I will do that once I get over my flounce. :D

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Boris wants to lead the nation but is too scared to be asked questions on TV

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I don't know why you care - they're all conservatives you know . They're not going to elect Hugo Chavez or anyone.
Except maybe you're hoping for someone who'll fail to get us out of the EU ?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Boris proving he can follow through ...

Hillman avenger

So
We have witnessed the spectacle of someone who wants to be our Prime Minister, to represent us around the world, who had to be silenced by his minders for fear he would get it wrong/say something wrong. And they did that because for years he has done both, most notably as Foreign Secretary.
And this is someone who is favourite to be our leader.
Can anyone, of any persuasion, honestly tell us they are OK with that?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Yeah, I keep telling you, all he's got to do is deliver a no deal BREXIT and then we can take it from there.
I'd say that we'll need a general election shortly after liberation and with any luck both former main parties will be destroyed once and for all.

Maybe Nigel Farage will be PM next, and very few people would be dissatisfied with that.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote:So
We have witnessed the spectacle of someone who wants to be our Prime Minister, to represent us around the world, who had to be silenced by his minders for fear he would get it wrong/say something wrong. And they did that because for years he has done both, most notably as Foreign Secretary.
And this is someone who is favourite to be our leader.
Can anyone, of any persuasion, honestly tell us they are OK with that?

His minders are shit and seemed to have forgotten what they did to May when she reversed to attend their debates.