Left-wing/right-wing bollocks

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Jon Gout

Re: Left-wing/right-wing bollocks

Post by Jon Gout »

Zambo wrote:Well, you'd have to be totally thick, if you need to be told that smoking, too much alcohol, being a fat cunt, and having no sleep can damage your health.

Waste of money.
You only know that cigarettes are bad for your health because of the public being kept informed of research by "the nanny state".

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jon Gout wrote:
Zambo wrote:Well, you'd have to be totally thick, if you need to be told that smoking, too much alcohol, being a fat cunt, and having no sleep can damage your health.

Waste of money.
You only know that cigarettes are bad for your health because of the public being kept informed of research by "the nanny state".

It's been known for many years that smoking causes all sorts of serious illnesses. They don't need to do any more research on it, or spend taxpayers money on repetative campaigns, because they don't work anyway. They are already spending enough on the morons killing themselves.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

rorymac

Post by rorymac »

Why so nasty .. it's all some poor misfortunes have in life is their tabs

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jon Gout wrote:
Zambo wrote:There are also be a lot of people out there who would love to get more than 4 or 5 if they could let alone 7. To them, this advice is not much good. There is a lot of scaremongering about the amount of sleep you need also imo, unless you sufer from chronic insomnia for a long period. You can usually catch up.
Some people, apparently a lot these days, get 6 hours or under a night because they choose to do activities that don't allow them more (or because they might commute), but don't realise just quite how much it can affect their physical and mental health (the same as people who know that drinking alcohol can be unhealthy but think their eight pints on a Friday night is harmless). It seems weird to get worked up over the public being kept informed. How do you know "there is quite a lot of scaremongering about the amount of sleep you need"? Have you done much research into sleep? I doubt it since you seem to believe the myth that a person can "catch up" on sleep.

A considerable amount. Individuals are different. Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep. Saying that everyone needs at least seven hours, is like saying everyone will put on the same amount of weight if they eat 5000 calories per day for a fortnight. It's cods.

I can get through an active day on around 4 hours, anything less i start to feel tired as the day goes on. That doesn't mean I'm going to have a heart attack or a stroke though. If you don't get any sleep at all, then the next day you are fucked, but your brain will usually shut down when you need the sleep.

If you are a chronic insomniac, and go months with only a couple of hours each night, then that is when you are at risk. Your immune system will suffer, and you will be more likely to develop viruses, infections and other illnesses.

Unfortunately, insomnia can be very difficult to treat. Sleeping pills can only be used short term and you can develop a dependency. Natural treatments are the way to go imo.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Zambo wrote:
Jon Gout wrote:
Zambo wrote:There are also be a lot of people out there who would love to get more than 4 or 5 if they could let alone 7. To them, this advice is not much good. There is a lot of scaremongering about the amount of sleep you need also imo, unless you sufer from chronic insomnia for a long period. You can usually catch up.
Some people, apparently a lot these days, get 6 hours or under a night because they choose to do activities that don't allow them more (or because they might commute), but don't realise just quite how much it can affect their physical and mental health (the same as people who know that drinking alcohol can be unhealthy but think their eight pints on a Friday night is harmless). It seems weird to get worked up over the public being kept informed. How do you know "there is quite a lot of scaremongering about the amount of sleep you need"? Have you done much research into sleep? I doubt it since you seem to believe the myth that a person can "catch up" on sleep.

A considerable amount. Individuals are different. Not everyone needs the same amount of sleep. Saying that everyone needs at least seven hours, is like saying everyone will put on the same amount of weight if they eat 5000 calories per day for a fortnight. It's cods.

I can get through an active day on around 4 hours, anything less i start to feel tired as the day goes on. That doesn't mean I'm going to have a heart attack or a stroke though. If you don't get any sleep at all, then the next day you are fucked, but your brain will usually shut down when you need the sleep.

If you are a chronic insomniac, and go months with only a couple of hours each night, then that is when you are at risk. Your immune system will suffer, and you will be more likely to develop viruses, infections and other illnesses.

Unfortunately, insomnia can be very difficult to treat. Sleeping pills can only be used short term and you can develop a dependency. Natural treatments are the way to go imo.

It is very much a personal thing - I functioned for many many years of my adult life on between 4 to 6 hours per night, - nothing to do with being too stupid to fall asleep as per HM Surgeon General's instructions, - if I went asleep at at 11pm, I'd invariably be wide awake at 4 or 5 am - I knew full well that the 'advice' was 8 hours, I just never needed to - what should I have done, - take sleeping pills to meet government guidelines?.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

rorymac wrote:Why so nasty .. it's all some poor misfortunes have in life is their tabs

Swings and roundabouts. Smokers who die young claim less in state pension.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:
rorymac wrote:Why so nasty .. it's all some poor misfortunes have in life is their tabs

Never thought of it that way.

So with these new health guidelines, the Goverment might be shooting themselves in the foot. Let them die before 65, save a bomb on the pensions, keep the population down, and let in more immigrants to ensure the fruit don't rot on the bushes. :D

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

How about using the Brits who spend their lives in their pyjamas pick the fruit. With Jeremy Kyle off the telly, they have no reason
not to stay in now.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Even beter.

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Zambo wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:

Never thought of it that way.

So with these new health guidelines, the Goverment might be shooting themselves in the foot. Let them die before 65, save a bomb on the pensions, keep the population down, and let in more immigrants to ensure the fruit don't rot on the bushes. :D

66 now (and rising)
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Zambo wrote:A considerable amount.

It can't be a considerable amount if you're repeating myths and nonsense instead of facts. For a start - how do you know your sleeping pattern doesn't mean you have an increased risk of heart attack and stroke? That's like saying "I do drink a lot and regularly, but never enough that I get drunk, therefore I can't be damaging my health" :lol:

If/when you ever have a heart attack or stroke you might want to look back at your lifestyle and not just put it down to old age or bad luck.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jon Gout wrote:
Zambo wrote:A considerable amount.

It can't be a considerable amount if you're repeating myths and nonsense instead of facts. For a start - how do you know your sleeping pattern doesn't mean you have an increased risk of heart attack and stroke? That's like saying "I do drink a lot and regularly, but never enough that I get drunk, therefore I can't be damaging my health" :lol:

If/when you ever have a heart attack or stroke you might want to look back at your lifestyle and not just put it down to old age or bad luck.

What are you basing the categorising of my post as myths and nonesense on, your own research, or have you just been taken in my a pile of generalised crap?

I know my sleep pattern doesn't put me at risk, because someone who spent several years studying sleep science told me that. Now, who should I listen to, him or someone on an internet message board?

I may well suffer a stroke or a heart attack at some stage in my life but
it won't be because I didn't get 7 or more hours sleep every night.

'Research cannot pinpoint an exact amount of sleep needed by people at different ages'

If you are tired during the day, then it's likely you aren't getting enough sleep. It's not rocket science.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Justin Kruger and Dave Dunning would love this thread.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Vespa wrote:Justin Kruger and Dave Dunning would love this thread.

Yeah, and it's easy to see which posts they'd home in on.

Do as the experts say and you won't go far wrong

Brexit will be a disaster, and the UK will be bankrupt faster than if a Labour Goverment got in.

Don't eat fat it will clog up your arteries. Oh sorry we meant, fat is OK it's sugar you need to cut out

Everyone on the planet, irrespective of age needs at least seven hours sleep per night, otherwise the NHS won't be able to cope with the number who get serious health issues.

Got five hours broken sleep last night. Did one hour brisk walking this morning, followed by some gardening, watched the tennis, then did some weights, followed by 10k on my exercise bike. Fit as a butchers dog me. Seven hours is for wimps and the gullible. :lol:

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Five hours of broken sleep sounds extremely normal and healthy :lol:

Got a touch of apnoea?