Mr. Dominic Cummings

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Mr. Dominic Cummings

Post by The Tick »

It's only minor when those in charge do the offending. Anyone else, watch out.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

minor is minor.
No one else has been subsequently prosecuted
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:20 pm
Zambo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:16 pm
subsub wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 pm
Zambo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:58 pm
subsub wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 pm
Zambo wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:33 pm Yawn.
He shouldn't have 'tested' his eyesight. Plain stupid, and he should have admitted it was wrong, instead of making up a ridiculous excuse. However, Durham police said it was a minor error of judgement and wouldn't have taken any action.

Now, does that really warrant what has been going on in the media for the last week? Anyone who says yes should be looking in the mirror and having a chat, and admitting the real reason for supporting this shite.
If it was a Labour Govt advisor in the same position, I'm sure you would have posted many a Daily Mail link calling for his head...
Nope, I would have adopted the same position as I am with this instead of embarrassing myself.
Why would you be embarrassing yourself?
By going on and on about a minor error of judgement which the police say was not worth even a word of admonishment.
But serious enough for the police to go out of their way to acknowledge that the rules had been broken - by someone instrumental in drawing up the rules.
I think you're missing the bigger picture here.
Did you spot the word 'minor'?

This is part of the bigger picture.

When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 am This is part of the bigger picture.

That quote, whoever said it, is one of the most stupid things I've read in a long time.
"We do not want or need blame. We do not want constant criticism of our Government who are doing their very best…"

Fuck me.
I suppose journalists should just become PR people instead, and spend all their time bigging up the Government, rather than challenging them on their actions and behaviour.
(Robin Day was very good at asking politicians difficult questions, by the way).
If Covid isn't the right time to hold the Govt to account about what they're doing, when the hell is?
What a stupid thing to post.
WOKE AND PROUD

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Just for the record, he does own a suit, shirt and tie

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:51 am
Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 am This is part of the bigger picture.

That quote, whoever said it, is one of the most stupid things I've read in a long time.
"We do not want or need blame. We do not want constant criticism of our Government who are doing their very best…"

Fuck me.
I suppose journalists should just become PR people instead, and spend all their time bigging up the Government, rather than challenging them on their actions and behaviour.
(Robin Day was very good at asking politicians difficult questions, by the way).
If Covid isn't the right time to hold the Govt to account about what they're doing, when the hell is?
What a stupid thing to post.
No it only gets stupid when people lie about what is posted. It's all there in black and white, it's from Sugar (A labour supporter and donor who saw the light) and I can't change it, yet you still try and spin it by posting that someone is saying that journalists should big up the Government. :rolleyes:

Journalists are there to report the news. When they interview people or present TV shows, they should not have the right to rant based on their own political leanings. Take Peston for e.g blatant impartiality every time he appears on TV. He and the rest of the shite should be swept away unless they can do the job for what they are paid handsomely for.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am yet you still try and spin it by posting that someone is saying that journalists should big up the Government
If they're not allowed to challenge and ask difficult questions, what exactly do you think they should be doing?
All Governments lie and try to cover up things, which is why we need journalists to hold them to account.
Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am Take Peston for e.g blatant impartiality every time he appears on TV
"Blatant impartiality" - er, that means he doesn't favour anyone.
I think you meant to say he's biased. But whichever party is in power at any one time, they will get pelters. It's just what happens. There's little point in barracking the Opposition, because they're not the ones in power. The Labour Party got pelters during Blair's time as PM, and now it's Boris's turn.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 am
Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am yet you still try and spin it by posting that someone is saying that journalists should big up the Government
If they're not allowed to challenge and ask difficult questions, what exactly do you think they should be doing?
All Governments lie and try to cover up things, which is why we need journalists to hold them to account.

Who said they weren't allowed to challenge, it's part of their job. However, all we have had since Dominic Cummings made a 'minor' error of judgement, is nothing but persistent biased one sided journalism, blowing it up out of all proportion. Do you seriously believe that something like this should be first item up every time there is a news bulletin?
Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:02 am Take Peston for e.g blatant impartiality every time he appears on TV
I think you meant to say he's biased. But whichever party is in power at any one time, they will get pelters. It's just what happens. There's little point in barracking the Opposition, because they're not the ones in power. The Labour Party got pelters during Blair's time as PM, and now it's Boris's turn.

He clearly does favour some, and it's not hard to see who, he doesn't even try to hide it. See shite like this....n 2019 Peston was condemned for incorrectly tweeting, without verification, that a Labour activist had punched a Conservative Party adviser. Footage was soon released showing that this was not true; he later apologised for his remarks and retracted them

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:24 am
subsub wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:13 am

Who said they weren't allowed to challenge, it's part of their job. However, all we have had since Dominic Cummings made a 'minor' error of judgement, is nothing but persistent biased one sided journalism, blowing it up out of all proportion. Do you seriously believe that something like this should be first item up every time there is a news bulletin?

He clearly does favour some, and it's not hard to see who, he doesn't even try to hide it. See shite like this....n 2019 Peston was condemned for incorrectly tweeting, without verification, that a Labour activist had punched a Conservative Party adviser. Footage was soon released showing that this was not true; he later apologised for his remarks and retracted them
I'm not a huge Peston fan. I find his mannerisms and delivery very odd.
And journos are going to fuck up on occasion just like everyone else.
But I don't have an issue with them giving the Govt a hard time.
Laura Kuenssberg is frequently targeted by Labour supporters for being too soft with the Govt, and accuse her of being a closet Tory! And then some Tories say she's 'obviously' left wing etc
So she must be doing something right…
WOKE AND PROUD

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

There IS a way for the government to stop getting negative media coverage.

That is for it to behave in a competent, professional way. To treat people like adults. To remove unelected people in such a dominant position ( and no, you may not have liked Alistair Campbell, but there is no comparison). To have ministers with ability who can say what they think rather than regurgitate badly-scripted nonsense.

Revolutionary, I know.
Last edited by Hillman avenger on Fri May 29, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Salem

Post by Salem »

Hillman avenger wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:03 am There IS a way for the government to stop getting negative media coverage.

That is for it to behave in a competent, professional way. To treat people like adults. To remove unelected people in such a dominant position ( and no, you may not have liked Alistair Campbell, but there is no comparison). To have ministers will ability who can say what they think rather than regurgitate badly-scripted nonsense.

Revolutionary, I know.
Why is there no comparison ? :-k
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

It's been interesting to watch the government shut down press scrutiny. Johnson refuses to do one to one interviews unless it is with Phil and Holly. This has now spread to government ministers who now boycott any media outlet that gives them a rough ride. They've stopped any follow-up questions during the daily briefing. A few months ago why tried to split the Parliaemtry lobby group into two groups - ones the government liked, ones they did; kudos for the lobby for telling the to get fucked. They then reduced the number of briefings.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Vespa wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:33 am It's been interesting to watch the government shut down press scrutiny. Johnson refuses to do one to one interviews unless it is with Phil and Holly. This has now spread to government ministers who now boycott any media outlet that gives them a rough ride. They've stopped any follow-up questions during the daily briefing. A few months ago why tried to split the Parliaemtry lobby group into two groups - ones the government liked, ones they did; kudos for the lobby for telling the to get fucked. They then reduced the number of briefings.
Until the press start behaving reasonably and doing the job they are paid to do, I don't blame the Government telling them to fuck off. And it's got nothing to do with being given a rough ride, when you enter politics it's what you should expect, but there is a difference between being given a rough ride and being confronted with a load of divas, trying to make a name for themselves, and putting their own political allegiances on display. As for the Downing street daily briefings, they are turning that in to a farce as well, so they can fuck off from that too.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Salem wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:14 am
Hillman avenger wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:03 am There IS a way for the government to stop getting negative media coverage.

That is for it to behave in a competent, professional way. To treat people like adults. To remove unelected people in such a dominant position ( and no, you may not have liked Alistair Campbell, but there is no comparison). To have ministers will ability who can say what they think rather than regurgitate badly-scripted nonsense.

Revolutionary, I know.
Why is there no comparison ? :-k
Because Campbell was a spin-doctor. He may have had views on stuff and expressed them, but he did not sit at the centre of policy-making like Cummings does and he couldn't hire and fire ministers and civil servants.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Here's a thought.

What would you advise a client to say if the police want to "interview" him?

The answer is almost always to make no comment, and the reason for that is because it's not a real "interview" at all, but an excersise set up to find or create evidence against him.

Thus, if interviews with the press, particularly the BBC, have changed from an opportunity to question politicians on behalf of the public into a theatrical set for the journalist to push their own political views, why on earth would any politician take part in that ?

The press have for too long gotten away with talking over people to force their own opinions on the public and people are tired of it.
They didn't listen to the press about Brexit or President Trump and that made the press angry rather than causing them to question their own hubris or how out of touch they are with people .
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".