Mr. Dominic Cummings

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Ralph
Forum Admin

Re: Mr. Dominic Cummings

Post by Ralph »

He’s happy to act as a conduit between corporate money and Facebook etc.

There’s no genius there. He’s a useful idiot.

The Conservative supporting media tell people he’s a maverick genius - He isn’t.

Any even slightly impartial assessment of what he does would admit he works on behalf of corporate money to promote the policies that act in corporate interests.

We have a problem with stubborn baby boomers believing everything they see in their Facebook timeline - and that explains the mess we’re in, to a large extent.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Hillman avenger wrote:The "this is just the flu" ignorance was present on this forum.

Largely among the people who now think Johnson and co have done a great job.

Hillman.....given the HOC presumably won’t be sitting for the forseeable and as far as I know the Emergency Powers that Johnson was taking upon himself have not been voted through, does this now mean this Bill is in limbo?
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Petingo wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:The "this is just the flu" ignorance was present on this forum.

Hillman.....given the HOC presumably won’t be sitting for the forseeable and as far as I know the Emergency Powers that Johnson was taking upon himself have not been voted through, does this now mean this Bill is in limbo?

It's a bill, it'll get voted though now he's agreed to reduce it's scope from two years to six months.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Vespa wrote:
Petingo wrote:

It's a bill, it'll get voted though now he's agreed to reduce it's scope from two years to six months.

But how?

There will be no M.P.s to vote it through.

Unless parliament is exempted from the social distancing and mass gathering rules.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Petingo wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Petingo wrote:

But how?

Unless parliament is exempted from the social distancing and mass gathering rules.

It's got cross-party support, they'll have a vote but only a handful of MPs will turn up to nod it through. Parliament is still functioning. This is what they are doing today.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/c ... 200324.htm

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Vespa wrote:
Petingo wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Petingo wrote:

But how?

It's got cross-party support, they'll have a vote but only a handful of MPs will turn up to nod it through. Parliament is still functioning. This is what they are doing today.

Cheers, V.

I didn’t know it had been reduced from two years to six months.

Thank goodness for small mercies.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Petingo wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Petingo wrote:
Vespa wrote:
Petingo wrote:

But how?

Cheers, V.

I didn’t know it had been reduced from two years to six months.

Thank goodness for small mercies.

Even David Davies spoke out the 2 years
It's 329 pages...do you think they wrote it in the last week?
A cynic might suggest it was pretty much ready...
And what other civil issue did they think they might need emergency powers for?
Go on
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Of course they've got stuff ready to implement in civil emergencies !
It'd be very odd indeed if no one had ever thought they'd better cater for how to govern after a nuclear strike or something like that.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Hillman avenger

Royal24s wrote:Of course they've got stuff ready to implement in civil emergencies !
It'd be very odd indeed if no one had ever thought they'd better cater for how to govern after a nuclear strike or something like that.

Yes
Which "emergency" do you think they expected?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Well in the spirit of what I posted in the other thread , I know for a fact that there used to be contingency plans for pretty much everything. They included in particular circumstances a list of people who would be immediately arrested and shot if they resisted or ran.
You'd be very shocked if you saw some of the names on it actually.

In fact I somewhat suspect that current planning and equipment is considerably less than it used to be, but it certainly exists.

Hillman avenger

Royal24s wrote:Well in the spirit of what I posted in the other thread , I know for a fact that there used to be contingency plans for pretty much everything. They included in particular circumstances a list of people who would be immediately arrested and shot if they resisted or ran.
You'd be very shocked if you saw some of the names on it actually.

In fact I somewhat suspect that current planning and equipment is considerably less than it used to be, but it certainly exists.

Perhaps that "spirit" is the problem...

In any event, setting aside the contents of the Plan, do you have any thoughts as to why they imagined it would be needed for two years and without any further parliamentary review?

What a jolly good thing democracy has been saved!

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Don't know why they thought 2 years or why they thought they'd get away with that. I do know that I'd have opposed that and I wouldn't be pleased if they'd gotten away with it. Personally I'd have said 3 months with a presumption that it'd end unless good cause could be shown to continue it.

I can see why this stuff is necessary and in one sense it doesn't matter because they can't enforce it, but it's seriously against my instincts and principles, so I think we have to be extremely vigilant about it and end it as soon as possible.
None of it must be permitted to work itself into the accepted administration of government after its rescinded.

Hillman avenger

Correct

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

What's more he's made a huge tactical error by doing it in this way at this time.

The fact is that due to making the police FORCE into a political tool for employing unsuitable people from checklists, and running down the armed forces, he cannot enforce his will by force.

By introducing strict regulations and ( pathetic unworkable) sanctions right now, he's brought forward the inevitable day when there'll be a conflict with the public.

When that happens things can get much worse because he has no ability to control a hostile or uncooperative public.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »