Hands free phoning in cars to be banned.?

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Hillman avenger

Re: Hands free phoning in cars to be banned.?

Post by Hillman avenger »

Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Petingo wrote:Now they are suggesting hands free phoning in cars should be banned.

They say it is “distracting”.

Quite.

Is it any more “distracting” than speaking to your passengers?

I wouldn’t have thought so.

In fact, I would suggest talking to passengers is more “distracting” on account of one often turns one’s head to look at said passengers.

At least we can talk on the hands free without that particular risk.
There was an interview on PM with a woman who had been on a motorcycle hit by a van whose driver was on a hands-free phone call. She lost her leg. He got 6 points and £100 fine.
Evan Davies raised the question of "isn't it the same as talking to a passenger" and she made the very good point that a passenger is with you in your car and can moderate the conversation when you are in a pressure situation. Someone somewhere else has no idea.

Around here there are a lot of wizzy BMWs, Mercs and the rest, all of which will have Bluetooth. Yet every day I see people driving such cars while holding a phone. Too stupid or too lazy to connect them a
pparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49320473

It's not 'a very good point', - it's just the best the safety extremists can come up with.
What about a bunch of loud kids of varying ages in the car? - they won't have a clue as to what is a 'pressure situation' or not - should they be banned next, or just anaesthetised?
As has been said numerous times, these people won't be happy until the bloke with red flag walks in front of us all again.

"Safety extremists"? That's a great one for the collection.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Petingo wrote:Now they are suggesting hands free phoning in cars should be banned.

Quite.

In fact, I would suggest talking to passengers is more “distracting” on account of one often turns one’s head to look at said passengers.

There was an interview on PM with a woman who had been on a motorcycle hit by a van whose driver was on a hands-free phone call. She lost her leg. He got 6 points and £100 fine.
Evan Davies raised the question of "isn't it the same as talking to a passenger" and she made the very good point that a passenger is with you in your car and can moderate the conversation when you are in a pressure situation. Someone somewhere else has no idea.

Around here there are a lot of wizzy BMWs, Mercs and the rest, all of which will have Bluetooth. Yet every day I see people driving such cars while holding a phone. Too stupid or too lazy to connect them a
pparently.

It's not 'a very good point', - it's just the best the safety extremists can come up with.
What about a bunch of loud kids of varying ages in the car? - they won't have a clue as to what is a 'pressure situation' or not - should they be banned next, or just anaesthetised?
As has been said numerous times, these people won't be happy until the bloke with red flag walks in front of us all again.

You're welcome.

Your reply wasn't much, but still an improvement over your usual.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

'And I'm adding two more years for making a hands-free call while you were being sentenced.'
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

Quite.

pparently.

You're welcome.

Can you explain to me the logic that says because there are some potential distractions to drivers which we can't prevent, we should not do something about the ones we can?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Roy Twing

Post by Roy Twing »

Hillman avenger wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:
Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

Quite.

pparently.

You're welcome.

Can you explain to me the logic that says because there are some potential distractions to drivers which we can't prevent, we should not do something about the ones we can?

I can, and would be more than happy to, but seeing as it's you, I won't bother.
Anyone (such as Tick) that uses 'gammon' as a racial pejorative is as much a racist as those who use the word nigger and similar pejoratively.
E & OE

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Hillman avenger wrote:

Quite.

pparently.

I've always been pro tough punishments for anyone using a held phone whilst driving, but this has gone past ridiculous. The accident may have had nothing to do with the driver being on a call, he may well have hit her anyway. Driving and talking at the same time should be coped with. If you drive from a to b with a passenger aboard, do you carry out the whole journey in silence. I bet you don't unless it's your mother-in-law.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Roy Twing wrote:
Hillman avenger wrote:

Quite.

pparently.

Hang on a minute Hillman, at the time of this accident, the van driver was not doing anything actually illegal, so could it be he was one of those twat drivers who are eventually going to have an accident due to the fact they are a fucking idiot, and the circumstances just happen to support the spin wherever you sourced this story from?

What are the stats for people using hands free who haven't caused a serious accidents against people who have?
The silver lining to this however, is maybe if distractions whilst driving is to be made into the new drink driving, they might have a look at all those women with cars full of screaming kids that flood the roads during term time.

Because that's not distracting at all is it?
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Moby Dicky

Post by Moby Dicky »

Perhaps a better place to start would be with the idiots who think it’s a great idea to have their dog sitting in the passenger seat.
Can’t be arsed.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Moby Dicky wrote:Perhaps a better place to start would be with the idiots who think it’s a great idea to have their dog sitting in the passenger seat.

And spend the entire journey talking to it. :D

Devondevon

Post by Devondevon »

Next legislation:

Drivers can't talk whilst driving

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Devondevon wrote:Next legislation:

Only to their dogs, as they can't talk back and confuse the driver. :D

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:If you drive from a to b with a passenger aboard, do you carry out the whole journey in silence. I bet you don't unless it's your mother-in-law

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

Zambo wrote:

Is it ok for drivers to have the radio on? Because the amount of times I’ve wanted to put my fist through it when talkSport has been on is unreal!! :evil:
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

JudgeTedd wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Is it ok for drivers to have the radio on? Because the amount of times I’ve wanted to put my fist through it when talkSport has been on is unreal!! :evil:

A definite safety hazzard. :D

subsub

Post by subsub »

JudgeTedd wrote:
Zambo wrote:

:lol:
WOKE AND PROUD