SNP backs decriminalisation of drugs

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

SNP backs decriminalisation of drugs

Post by Vespa »

Here is a common sense policy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-50036173
The SNP has backed decriminalising the possession and consumption of drugs.

At its conference in Aberdeen, a resolution was unanimously passed by delegates branding current drug control legislation "not fit for purpose".

And they called for powers to be devolved to Holyrood to enable the "decriminalisation of possession and consumption of controlled drugs".

The Scottish government has set up a taskforce to tackle drug deaths, which hit a record high in 2018.
It costs just under £40,000 per year to put someone in prison for a year. It costs £4,000 to medicate a heroin addict, with heroin.

The criminal network underpinning it generates billions of pounds, misery and death.

Re-categorising drug addicts as a public health issue, providing fix rooms and essentially free drugs on the heath service work, I've seen this scheme introduced and it reduced street drug use by over 90%.

This isn't about the legal sale of drugs or making the supply of them legal it's about moving addiction from a criminal justice matter to a public health one.

Even if people stay addicted for life having them inside the system on free drugs will be cheaper and safer for everyone.

kevin04

Re: SNP backs decriminalisation of drugs

Post by kevin04 »

Delighted conference passed this motion.

Well done and this will most definitely get passed in the parliament. SNP 1 short as it is of a majority (no, it's 2 as the presiding officer too) but the Greens who have six MSPs will back this, I'd imagine the Libs might too and Labour or some of them could as well.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

kevin04 wrote:Delighted conference passed this motion.

Well done and this will most definitely get passed in the parliament. SNP 1 short as it is of a majority (no, it's 2 as the presiding officer too) but the Greens who have six MSPs will back this, I'd imagine the Libs might too and Labour or some of them could as well.

It's been Green policy for years. Smart, progressive move.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

Vespa wrote:
kevin04 wrote:Delighted conference passed this motion.

It's been Green policy for years. Smart, progressive move.

It could well be.

The Scottish Green party are independent of the English and Welsh Green party although are sister parties, a bit like SNP and Plaid are.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

What is this?

I thought the SNP only had one policy?
A joyless arsehole.

subsub

Post by subsub »

shabbado wrote:What is this?

I thought the SNP only had one policy?

:lol: :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Just what the country needs. Loads of fucking wreck heads wandering the streets with self induced psychosis.

I can't see any problems at all.