The Winter 2019 General Election Thread

In-depth debate on all topical issues
subsub

Re: The Winter 2019 General Election Thread

Post by subsub »

kevin04 wrote:Sub, Sub using one poll. The polls are pretty much 50-50 for staying or leaving the UK, I´ll even give you 51-49% against it right now. The Tories are shit feart of giving us another vote, beause we might well win it considering the diretion England is going, we would get enough soft unionists to vote for it and give it a go - better than having to be dragged along by a right wing English and Welsh direction.

Fair enough, Kev.
WOKE AND PROUD

birdie

Post by birdie »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:If Labour had voted for May's deal, we'd have had a soft brexit, the Tory party would have split, the Brexit party would never have existed and Johnson wouldn't be sitting on a majority of 80.

Corbyn was warned about the backlash in Leave areas, but his team thought it clever to play politics

Life is full of 'if onlies' isn't it.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

subsub

Post by subsub »

birdie wrote:I seem to recall hearing her say that because Scotland was already in as part of the UK, and Scotland hasn't asked to leave, Scotland remains in the EU. an assertion that the EU and the PM have said isn't correct, She also seemed to think that Scotland could continue to use the £ sterling and for that currency to be backed by the Bank of England.

No, if we leave, then the entire UK leaves the EU.
Then if Scotland gains independence, they would have to apply to join the EU, which would take a long time.
WOKE AND PROUD

birdie

Post by birdie »

subsub wrote:
birdie wrote:I seem to recall hearing her say that because Scotland was already in as part of the UK, and Scotland hasn't asked to leave, Scotland remains in the EU. an assertion that the EU and the PM have said isn't correct, She also seemed to think that Scotland could continue to use the £ sterling and for that currency to be backed by the Bank of England.

No, if we leave, then the entire UK leaves the EU.
Then if Scotland gains independence, they would have to apply to join the EU, which would take a long time.

I know that, La Sturgeon seems to think that Scotland can remain if it becomes independent because it is already in. That has been a point of debate for a long time.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

The simple truth is that it is the UK that is in the EU, not England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Nicola Sturgeon does a good job at hoodwinking the Scottish public.

I still think the SNP vote is a protest vote over the other parties who have all buggered it up here.
Godwin's law

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Well that's quite right. Their vote in the EU referrendum was as British voters - which they chose to remain - it wasn't a separate election and it's ridiculous to claim special status. There are areas of England ,Wales and Northern Ireland which voted differently to the majority but we're not hearing that the people of Kensington or Putney want to stay in the EU after the rest of the country leaves.
This is One Nation politics now so let's see every area coming together and becoming a force in the world again together. That includes Scotland, so let's see some ships being built of British steel n the Clyde and the Scottish fishing fleet getting their home waters back from foreign boats.
We'll be free of the dirty foreign politics and shady arrangements to divide industry through Europe where the Germans get the engineering , the Spanish get our fishing rights and we have to be content delivering take always and cutting each other's hair.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Watching the Corbyn supporters defend his strategy is astounding.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

ToRmAtO wrote:The simple truth is that it is the UK that is in the EU, not England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

I still think the SNP vote is a protest vote over the other parties who have all buggered it up here.

My uncle lives in Scotland and insists Independence hasn't anywhere near the support we are told it has nor the interest.

I've no idea if this is true or not as I don't know the place.

What's your view ToRm?

Geezer
Forum Admin

Post by Geezer »

I’m blinded by the blue today.
'This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption.'

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

m4rkb wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:The simple truth is that it is the UK that is in the EU, not England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

My uncle lives in Scotland and insists Independence hasn't anywhere near the support we are told it has nor the interest.

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

Of course, there are those that want independence at all costs and also those that easily mislead.

The reality here in North East Scotland is that the Oil Industry that I worked in for 25 years is declining at a pace, some of the larger grandiose houses up for sale that those prices are dropping and people are making a loss when selling. There are no new business models coming into take their place, and the large industrial estates have vacant signs all over the place.

Only a mug in this neck of the world would vote for independence.
Godwin's law

Geezer
Forum Admin

Post by Geezer »

But you have solar, oops no sorry, wave power to provide the whole of Scotland with energy.
'This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption.'

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

ToRmAtO wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

Of course, there are those that want independence at all costs and also those that easily mislead.

The reality here in North East Scotland is that the Oil Industry that I worked in for 25 years is declining at a pace, some of the larger grandiose houses up for sale that those prices are dropping and people are making a loss when selling. There are no new business models coming into take their place, and the large industrial estates have vacant signs all over the place.

Only a mug in this neck of the world would vote for independence.

Cheers toRm. Now like hearing something from the horses mouth.
I'll tell him when I speak next that the Scots agree.

He's bumped in to Salmond dozens of times in the local supermarket for a casual chat :D

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Geezer wrote:But you have solar, oops no sorry, wave power to provide the whole of Scotland with energy.

If they could harness energy from freezing cold wind they'd never have to worry again.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

It's quite true. During the World Cup they'll be saying all sorts of crap about England, then you catch them sitting round a tv and shouting for England. This actually happened to me once and someone later confidentially explained to me that they just like winding you up.
They're not stupid so they'll play the political advantage and threaten everyone to get what they want but let's not forget that they'll fight and die for Britain when it comes to it. They don't want independence, they want some industry and respect, but they're pushing their luck a bit at this point.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Geezer wrote:But you have solar, oops no sorry, wave power to provide the whole of Scotland with energy.

Which breaks down all the time and they regularly have to plug into the English grid to get it going again