In-depth debate on all topical issues
ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Re: The Winter 2019 General Election Thread

Post by ToRmAtO »

m4rkb wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:
m4rkb wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:The simple truth is that it is the UK that is in the EU, not England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Nicola Sturgeon does a good job at hoodwinking the Scottish public.

I still think the SNP vote is a protest vote over the other parties who have all buggered it up here.

My uncle lives in Scotland and insists Independence hasn't anywhere near the support we are told it has nor the interest.

I've no idea if this is true or not as I don't know the place.

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

Of course, there are those that want independence at all costs and also those that easily mislead.

The reality here in North East Scotland is that the Oil Industry that I worked in for 25 years is declining at a pace, some of the larger grandiose houses up for sale that those prices are dropping and people are making a loss when selling. There are no new business models coming into take their place, and the large industrial estates have vacant signs all over the place.

Only a mug in this neck of the world would vote for independence.

Cheers toRm. Now like hearing something from the horses mouth.
I'll tell him when I speak next that the Scots agree.

He's bumped in to Salmond dozens of times in the local supermarket for a casual chat :D

There is also the speculation that the SNP wanted the DECEMBER elections over and done with before the start of the Salmond trial.

There might be SNP shitfest that comes out of that.
Godwin's law

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

ToRmAtO wrote:
m4rkb wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:The simple truth is that it is the UK that is in the EU, not England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

I still think the SNP vote is a protest vote over the other parties who have all buggered it up here.

My uncle lives in Scotland and insists Independence hasn't anywhere near the support we are told it has nor the interest.

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

Of course, there are those that want independence at all costs and also those that easily mislead.

The reality here in North East Scotland is that the Oil Industry that I worked in for 25 years is declining at a pace, some of the larger grandiose houses up for sale that those prices are dropping and people are making a loss when selling. There are no new business models coming into take their place, and the large industrial estates have vacant signs all over the place.

You're never going to get the silly prices around Aberdoon which the oil boom brought, but let's get something going up there. First the fishing , then maybe shipping - there's a very credible route from Aberdoon to Canada and NY.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Post by ToRmAtO »

Royal24s wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

You're never going to get the silly prices around Aberdoon which the oil boom brought, but let's get something going up there. First the fishing , then maybe shipping - there's a very credible route from Aberdoon to Canada and NY.

There is no where up here called 'Aberdoon'.
Godwin's law

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Royal24s wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

It's quite true. During the World Cup they'll be saying all sorts of crap about England, then you catch them sitting round a tv and shouting for England. This actually happened to me once and someone later confidentially explained to me that they just like winding you up.
They're not stupid so they'll play the political advantage and threaten everyone to get what they want but let's not forget that they'll fight and die for Britain when it comes to it. They don't want independence, they want some industry and respect, but they're pushing their luck a bit at this point.

Got to admit the majority of Scots I know or have met seem to delight in the anti English banter. It's a purely British thing that many people can't understand that our best mates are easily identified by the amount of insults and piss taking thrown at them.

Apart from the proper knuckle draggers who use it as an excuse for violence it's basically all good fun.

My ex missus' old man was a proper taffy communist hardline union bloke in similar vein but unfortunately had the same sense of humour as Hillman so thought it was all real.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Royal24s wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

You're never going to get the silly prices around Aberdoon which the oil boom brought, but let's get something going up there. First the fishing, then maybe shipping - there's a very credible route from Aberdoon to Canada and NY.

Actually on that issue my uncle was a navy man and involved in the cod wars in the 60's. We had 150 converted minesweepers patrolling the whole area capable of going anywhere in the world. We did it. Today our naval capacity for the same task today is about one rubber dinghy.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

m4rkb wrote: Today our naval capacity for the same task today is about one rubber dinghy.

...with a slow puncture.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

For every Tormardo - partisan and very much against independence - there's a me on the other side. I have a Yes-heavy set of pals too. Almost all of them support independence. It's stronger in certain areas or with certain people.

To mark independence off as if it's a hobby or a protest vote is riddiclous. The SNP are far from perfect but they are the most competent bunch in the country and the public obviously think so by backing them in every single election since 2007.

This issue is not going away. If 16-17 year olds plus EU nationals were allowed the vote (the SNP would be close to if not over 50%) like they are in Scottish elections.

Even if support for independence is at 45% that's a lot of people and very loud minoritywho do not want to be run by the UK or be British.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

kevin04

Post by kevin04 »

For every Tormardo - partisan and very much against independence - there's a me on the other side. I have a Yes-heavy set of pals too. Almost all of them support independence. It's stronger in certain areas or with certain people.

To mark independence off as if it's a hobby or a protest vote is riddiclous. The SNP are far from perfect but they are the most competent bunch in the country and the public obviously think so by backing them in every single election since 2007.

This issue is not going away. If 16-17 year olds plus EU nationals were allowed the vote (the SNP would be close to if not over 50%) like they are in Scottish elections.

Even if support for independence is at 45% that's a lot of people and very loud minoritywho do not want to be run by the UK or be British.
Bellend. Rupert Bell fanclub - MEMBER.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

To be honest Kev , I always consider any argument that can only be won by garnering the votes of children to be a little flawed. That doesn't mean I dispute your own personal side of the argument.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Zambo wrote:Come on you Blues. :D

Look at that bit of red on the right hand side. That's Norwich South. :)

Incidentally, as per voted Green in the locals and they won my ward. Emailed something to a bloke at the council and cc'd the three Green councillors in. All replied the very next morning. Top work.
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I have faith in the Scottish electorate to reject leaving the Union. That should be Boris' first pledge; youze (that's my scottish dialect) have youze referendum. I really don't think, when push-comes-to-shove the jocks will leave. And if they do (and I hope they don't), they'll be more fucked than we are. What EXACTLY is Sturgeon's problem? I think she's projecting. She's got a bee in her wee bonnet for some reason. I can't figure out what it is. Well, I do know what it is. But I cannae say it.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

m4rkb wrote:
Royal24s wrote:
ToRmAtO wrote:
m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

It is basically true.

You're never going to get the silly prices around Aberdoon which the oil boom brought, but let's get something going up there. First the fishing, then maybe shipping - there's a very credible route from Aberdoon to Canada and NY.

Actually on that issue my uncle was a navy man and involved in the cod wars in the 60's. We had 150 converted minesweepers patrolling the whole area capable of going anywhere in the world. We did it. Today our naval capacity for the same task today is about one rubber dinghy.

Well there you are then. They're buying some new frigates, so let's build them on the Clyde
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

subsub

Post by subsub »

m4rkb wrote:

What's your view ToRm?

Interesting to hear that, m4rk. I've heard from a couple of people that the reality is the SNP know they would struggle to win another Indy vote.
WOKE AND PROUD

subsub

Post by subsub »

m4rkb wrote:I'll tell him when I speak next that the Scots agree.

He's bumped in to Salmond dozens of times in the local supermarket for a casual chat :D

Near the frozen food section? :mrgreen:

WOKE AND PROUD

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

subsub wrote:
m4rkb wrote:I'll tell him when I speak next that the Scots agree.

Near the frozen food section? :mrgreen:

Yes. Literally that from what I can gather - doing his shopping like any other person.

I'm no fan or supporter obviously , but it does beg the question whether anyone else in the SNP is humble enough to do the same.