HIGNFY - Humour or Spite ?

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

HIGNFY - Humour or Spite ?

Post by Royal24s »

In the wake of having been surprised and impressed by Huw Edwards impartial and professional presentation of the election , I thought I'd seen some encouraging signs that the penny had dropped at BBC news during subsequent coverage that they're supposed to comment and report rather than form part of the ruling elite, still less tell the people what to think .

Then I tuned into this programme and saw that the era of unimaginably rich leftist characters talking down to the public and treating the views of the voters of this country with contempt is alive and well in Light Entertainment.

The question I posed at the top isn't new - I've thought for a long time that they cross lines in this respect, but this emphasised it.

A few people have said to me today that the new government should look at the licence fee and maybe that's the case. Don't these people understand that they're mocking millions of people and acting as if they're some kind of annointed geniuses, which isn't the idea of comedy is it ?

Let's stop spending money on their huge salaries and spend it in the North of England where people have stood up in such great numbers to save our democracy.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

ToRmAtO
Winner POTY - 2007 !!!!

Re: HIGNFY - Humour or Spite ?

Post by ToRmAtO »

There's a thing called an off switch, and satire is meant to mock politics.
Godwin's law

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

I stopped watching HIGNFY about 10 years ago. Probably after whatshisname got sacked for snorting cocaine. Imagine, a media 'personality' indulging in some nose candy. Oh the shock. Do me a favour. I mean, I've dipped my toes back in just to test the water and that black fella, Hunter something? He's alright and the Yank guy with the wrinkly face and southern drawl, he's alright. I think I like those guys because clearly they've had a bit of a life and aren't career 'comedy' cunts. But the metropolitan media lefty bubble elite unfunny wankers do my head in. As for Paul Merton, I've never found him funny in any way shape or form. In fact he is a comedy sump. A black hole of humour.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

subsub

Post by subsub »

ToRmAtO wrote:There's a thing called an off switch, and satire is meant to mock politics.

Exactly.
And having watched HIGNFY over the years, they don't play any favourites – they slag off whoever's in Government, and rightly take them to task.
WOKE AND PROUD

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Jeez, now we have a poster who doesn’t understand political satire. Wow !!

I assume you were in nappies when Spitting Image was on otherwise you would of been in orbit as to how they took the piss out of Thatcher.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

carcinogen wrote:I stopped watching HIGNFY about 10 years ago.

Yep, same here and that goes for all political programmes like QT etc on the BBC. When you watch this sort of stuff you expect impartiality, balance, as well as entertainment, but it's just continually pushing it's agenda. I just find it amazing that people can't see this, but if it's constantly ripping the piss out of 'the other side' I guess small minded people will feel the thrill.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

They mainly take this piss out of the Government of the day which has been Tory for years.
It really should amaze me how thick some are on here but when the Daily Mail supplies them with their opinions I guess i shouldn’t be.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Zambo wrote:

Yep, same here and that goes for all political programmes like QT etc on the BBC. When you watch this sort of stuff you expect impartiality, balance, as well as entertainment, but it's just continually pushing it's agenda. I just find it amazing that people can't see this, but if it's constantly ripping the piss out of 'the other side' I guess small minded people will feel the thrill.

QT is entirely a different type of programme. :?

subsub

Post by subsub »

Zambo wrote:

Er, did you watch HIGNFY in the late 90s/early 00s?
When Labour were in power, they got torn a new one each week.

Honestly, Zambo, your obsession with the Beeb being biased is very odd.
But then, the Mail has a long-running vendetta against it, so I'm not surprised that its readers think the same if they're told that every day.
WOKE AND PROUD

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

subsub wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Er, did you watch HIGNFY in the late 90s/early 00s?
When Labour were in power, they got torn a new one each week.

Honestly, Zambo, your obsession with the Beeb being biased is very odd.
But then, the Mail has a long-running vendetta against it, so I'm not surprised that its readers think the same if they're told that every day.

Edible sawdust for the terminally thick, sub. More of this in the near future I fear, idiots up and down the land incapable of thinking for themselves told what to think by the DM. Sad days. :(

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Don't mind political satire. Don't mind anything which is actually humorous even if it's in my political direction but the BBC (and others) has a increasing tendency to host 'comedians' whose 'jokes' seem to have the side splitting punchline of "Brexit supporters" , or increasingly something to do with old white people.

These are not jokes , or satire, they are plainly and simply the political prejudices of your London centric media lefties. When the audience is made up of the same and they chuckle it makes them think they are jokes.

Nish Kumar. whose material seems tio be exactly as described above, found out what audiences are like when they aren't London centric leftie types.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

m4rkb wrote:Don't mind political satire. Don't mind anything which is actually humorous even if it's in my political direction but the BBC (and others) has a increasing tendency to host 'comedians' whose 'jokes' seem to have the side splitting punchline of "Brexit supporters" , or increasingly something to do with old white people.

These are not jokes , or satire, they are plainly and simply the political prejudices of your London centric media lefties. When the audience is made up of the same and they chuckle it makes them think they are jokes.

Nish Kumar. whose material seems tio be exactly as described above, found out what audiences are like when they aren't London centric leftie types.

These are jokes and satire if it gets laughs out of sad, laughable people regardless of background, politics or lifestyle. What’s there not to get, mark? Do you actually need an Idiots Guide to Comedy? You seem like a rigid, stuck in the mud oldie who really needs to get with the times.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Didn't some people laugh at what Nick Griffin said when he was on QT ?
He wasn't therefore making political statements, he was being satirical instead.

Laughter isn't always the reaction of a joke. It can also be the reaction of hearing something which actually is not funny at all.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Couldn’t give a fuck about QT, this thread isn’t about WT, the clue’s in the title. If you haven’t watched HIGNFY, have no interest and don’t like what you’ve heard about it, it’s preferable to pretty much shut up because you look a knob taking about that cunt Griffin on QT.

Do you really not understand satire and political humour and can you not differentiate from a current affairs discussion?