Tehran Plane Crash

In-depth debate on all topical issues
mark
Forum Admin

Re: Tehran Plane Crash

Post by mark »

delboy1983 wrote:Oops sorry,someone pressed a button !

Probably more like a finger sweep across a touch screen these days. And those touch screens can get rather sensitive.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

It's a Russian AAA system which is very effective indeed, but works by means of a number of armoured vehicles and when at least three of them triangulate a flying object the firing is automatic and very accurate.
Trouble is that it mustn't be armed if there's anything in the sky you don't want to destroy, so it's got huge potential for this kind of mistake or friendly fire events and that's why NATO decided against similar systems.
I should imagine that the Iranians failed to take account of civilian aircraft and therefore didn't think to ground take offs or landings at the airport.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Besides anything else, a demonstration of the dangerous consequences of uncontrolled actions, particularly in a combat zone. How many other planes took off from the same runway that day?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

mark wrote:Besides anything else, a demonstration of the dangerous consequences of uncontrolled actions, particularly in a combat zone. How many other planes took off from the same runway that day?

Not many I imagine. Our friends on PPRuNe may have answered that as think some did. They'll most likely use https://www.flightradar24.com/ and you can track there. All running smoothly now though some cancelled: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/ika
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

We don't know of course, but the crucial point would have been arming the s300/s400 system. From that point anything overflying it is targetted and we can only assume that someone in the chain of command didn't know that.
I should imagine that they deactivated the system immediately when they saw what they'd done.
The system is just too open to mistakes despite being otherwise very effective and it was plug holed as an idea in the west several decades ago for that very reason. It can't hold a target and seek authorisation because it relied upon an identify/target/fire sequence to be quick enough to hit a high velocity target. There are any number of mobile stations but three or more closing on the same object means it's real and hit table AT THAT MOMENT, and thus the sequence must be immediate
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Carlos J wrote:
mark wrote:Besides anything else, a demonstration of the dangerous consequences of uncontrolled actions, particularly in a combat zone. How many other planes took off from the same runway that day?

Not many I imagine. Our friends on PPRuNe may have answered that as think some did. They'll most likely use https://www.flightradar24.com/ and you can track there. All running smoothly now though some cancelled: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/ika

Plenty of flights coming in from Istanbul.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Yeah and the middle east now. Europeans cancelled. FR24 stuff was shown on the start of the PPRuNe thread I posted showing its track.

caveman

Post by caveman »

shabbado wrote:Pew pew pew pew pew

Not a lot of fucks given when it was the Russians blowing planes out of the sky over Ukraine.

I think you will find it was all over the news for days if not weeks

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

What puzzles me is, if that footage of the missile launch is real, why was whoever filmed it pointing his camera at a random piece of sky at the exact moment it fired and hit the airliner?
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

beingsoblase wrote:What puzzles me is, if that footage of the missile launch is real, why was whoever filmed it pointing his camera at a random piece of sky at the exact moment it fired and hit the airliner?

Interesting, bsb. Will have to watch the footage again. Probably knew missiles were going off.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

Carlos J wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:What puzzles me is, if that footage of the missile launch is real, why was whoever filmed it pointing his camera at a random piece of sky at the exact moment it fired and hit the airliner?

Interesting, bsb. Will have to watch the footage again. Probably knew missiles were going off.

Same point made in PPRuNe. They think the two missiles, heard one, started to film and boom.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

Carlos J wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Carlos J wrote:

Same point made on PPRuNe. They think the two missiles, heard one, started to film and boom.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking, there is a fair amount of footage, so people had some reason to start filming, but at the same time what happened to missile number one, did it miss or fail in some way?
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

beingsoblase wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
Carlos J wrote:

Same point made on PPRuNe. They think the two missiles, heard one, started to film and boom.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking, there is a fair amount of footage, so people had some reason to start filming, but at the same time what happened to missile number one, did it miss or fail in some way?
See these, bsb:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/14/worl ... e=Homepage.