Tescos staff acting like the Gestapo

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

Tescos staff acting like the Gestapo

Post by Royal24s »

At the best of times Tescos staff seem to think they're doing you a big favour to sell you merchandise, but by all accounts they've become power crazed by the opportunity to boss people around in queues etc during this health crisis.
I've heard three different people from this village , ( and it's a small village ) say today that they'll never shop there again when things return to normal.
One elderly lady with severe hip problems was made to stand in a queue to get in for an hour and told that if she sat down she'd have to go to the back.
A young woman who took her elderly dad ( they live in the same house),to get his shopping was told to choose which one of them went in, so she had to leave him on his own outside and guess what he wanted to buy.
Another lady was told to "get a move on" , and that she couldn't buy a toaster which was on display because it "wasn't an essential item ".

It seems that the shelf stackers , who were busily sneezing all over people and ignoring obvious precautions last week, have appointed themselves as some kind of law enforcement officials who are there to police the customers at the shop and lecture them about being responsible .

By stark contrast the staff at Aldi's are enacting all the same precautions whilst remaining friendly and helpful.

When this is all over, will we remember how different companies have behaved and reflect that in our spending habits ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Ralph
Forum Admin

Re: Tescos staff acting like the Gestapo

Post by Ralph »

The supermarkets are getting on everyone’s nerves atm.

Government = Don’t go out. Supermarkets = There are no delivery slots.

Just Eat, Deliveroo, Dominos Pizza etc are the only people who’ll deliver (at a ridiculous price)

Blitz spirit all the way to the poorhouse.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Ralph wrote:The supermarkets are getting on everyone’s nerves atm.

Government = Don’t go out. Supermarkets = There are no delivery slots.

Just Eat, Deliveroo, Dominos Pizza etc are the only people who’ll deliver (at a ridiculous price)

Blitz spirit all the way to the poorhouse.

=D> =D>
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

My local Asda has a charming young lady at the door, checking people in. One out -one in.
And you get cheerful greeting as you enter.
But it's a small local one. The big supermarkets have queues all around the car-park and security chaps on the door.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

VeritasVincit wrote:My local Asda has a charming young lady at the door, checking people in. One out -one in.
And you get cheerful greeting as you enter.
But it's a small local one. The big supermarkets have queues all around the car-park and security chaps on the door.

Same system with our Asda. It worked well and staff were cordial and pleasant though it was busy and shelves reasonably well stocked - bar the bog roll fetish everyone seems to have been infected with. Was pretty busy too but good natured from everyone even with the long queues out and round the corner and down the street. We didn't have nearly as long to queue as I guessed and even with the queueing the shop was quicker than usual.

It helped that it was a nice sunny day. It might be vastly different in the usual spring downpours and drizzle. And as the weeks wear on and bonhomie and forebearance wear off and frustration sets in, that'll be the test.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Went to the big Sainsburys on Clapham High Street yesterday. Queued for 10 minutes - wasn't busy but this was done more as a crowd control measure.

Stock on shelves back to semi-normal levels. Hopefully the bulk buyers have got the message.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

This could be an opportunity for lazy fuckers to make their own curries .
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

subsub

Post by subsub »

My local Tesco has been absolutely fine.
Waitrose is the big supermarket is the centre of town, and queues have been ridiculous - a 75-minute wait to get in on Friday (I didn't bother).
But once you're in, people still walk relatively close to each other, so all seems a bit over the top, really.
WOKE AND PROUD

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Only waited 2 mins, standing in a line of trolleys 2 m apart, waved on by Idi Amin .
6uild 6ack 6etter .

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

It's ridiculous, this two metres apart crap. No one is two metres apart inside the supermarket where the virus is far more likely to be spread I would have thought by a cough or a sneeze.

They have closed the seafront near me, another load of bollocks. People have been walking on their own or one other person, I haven't seen any groups for ages.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Back to our little local Asda. It's restricted entry and they have arrows on the floor so everyone walks the same way and you never meet anyone coming toward you - unless they forgot something and went back for it. There were no crowds yesterday and people were keeping apart.
There are lines at the checkout 2 metres back.

As for walking. Sensible walking practices shouldn't be discouraged. i suppose they are worried about the idiots who will turn up in a crowd.
We have a huge area of waste/scrub/woodland which is aregular [dog]walking area.
There a good number using it, but when you see someone, you either divert to a different track or go and stand away from the track till they've passed.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Royal24s wrote:At the best of times Tescos staff seem to think they're doing you a big favour to sell you merchandise, but by all accounts they've become power crazed by the opportunity to boss people around in queues etc during this health crisis.
I've heard three different people from this village , ( and it's a small village ) say today that they'll never shop there again when things return to normal.
One elderly lady with severe hip problems was made to stand in a queue to get in for an hour and told that if she sat down she'd have to go to the back.
A young woman who took her elderly dad ( they live in the same house),to get his shopping was told to choose which one of them went in, so she had to leave him on his own outside and guess what he wanted to buy.
Another lady was told to "get a move on" , and that she couldn't buy a toaster which was on display because it "wasn't an essential item ".

It seems that the shelf stackers , who were busily sneezing all over people and ignoring obvious precautions last week, have appointed themselves as some kind of law enforcement officials who are there to police the customers at the shop and lecture them about being responsible .

By stark contrast the staff at Aldi's are enacting all the same precautions whilst remaining friendly and helpful.

When this is all over, will we remember how different companies have behaved and reflect that in our spending habits ?

I have to say that has never been my experience of Tesco.

God help any person having to be cooped up with y’all for the duration, Brother R.

Mrs. Royals has my sympathy.

You are like Victor Meldrew on steroids.

:P
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

subsub wrote:My local Tesco has been absolutely fine.
Waitrose is the big supermarket is the centre of town, and queues have been ridiculous - a 75-minute wait to get in on Friday (I didn't bother).
But once you're in, people still walk relatively close to each other, so all seems a bit over the top, really.

Same here, Sub.

And I tell you what, who could blame supermarket staff happen they were a bit tetchy?

While we all happily stood at our front doors the other night applauding NHS workers, the motley collection of oldies, teenagers, students and people who cannot get a job anywhere else manning those tills and stacking those shelves for minimum wage go unrecognised and unsung.

They are right there in the frontline, keeping our bellies full whilst exposing themselves to risk of catching the plague day and daily.

To the staff of Tesco, Sainsbury, LIDL, Aldi et cetera......we salute you and we toast you :drinkers:
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

If these shops closed down, I'd be reduced to climbing into Tormato's garden and stealing his potatoes.

I wonder if they are ripe yet.
6uild 6ack 6etter .

subsub

Post by subsub »

Petingo wrote:
subsub wrote:My local Tesco has been absolutely fine.

Same here, Sub.

And I tell you what, who could blame supermarket staff happen they were a bit tetchy?

While we all happily stood at our front doors the other night applauding NHS workers, the motley collection of oldies, teenagers, students and people who cannot get a job anywhere else manning those tills and stacking those shelves for minimum wage go unrecognised and unsung.

They are right there in the frontline, keeping our bellies full whilst exposing themselves to risk of catching the plague day and daily.

To the staff of Tesco, Sainsbury, LIDL, Aldi et cetera......we salute you and we toast you :drinkers:

Too right, Pet. Totally agree.
My sister-in-law works in a branch of Tesco, and she said some of the behaviour from customers has been shameful.
People fighting over produce, one bloke not prepared to wait to be served, squaring up to staff etc

I think anyone who's worked in a supermarket over the past couple of weeks deserves a medal.
WOKE AND PROUD