Support The NHS?

Post by shabbado »

Don't vote Tory.
A joyless arsehole.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Re: Support The NHS?

Post by Ralph »

Vote Tory if Labour expect the wealthy to pay a penny extra in tax.

Clap the NHS workers when there’s a pandemic

You’ve got to wonder haven’t you. Or maybe not if you have a moral compass.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

shabbado wrote:Don't vote Tory.

Bit late now. Bad timing on the part of the Coronavirus.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Zambo wrote:

Exposing the hypocrisy of many people.

I’ve witnessed people, with my own eyes & ears who had Tory posters in their window, and at the end of their drives clapping.

If I were braver I’d confront them.

But it’s unforgivable isn’t it?

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Tory Party seem to be wrapping themselves in the NHS rather successfully. Johnson will be out telling everyone how he loves the NHS them saving his life and everything.

It should be remembered than medical staff have undoubtedly died due to a lack of PPE.

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Vespa wrote:The Tory Party seem to be wrapping themselves in the NHS rather successfully. Johnson will be out telling everyone how he loves the NHS them saving his life and everything.

It should be remembered than medical staff have undoubtedly died due to a lack of PPE.

Even though you have to do very little Google research to realise they utterly loathe the NHS and would privatise it in an instant if they thought they could get away with it.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Ralph wrote:
Vespa wrote:The Tory Party seem to be wrapping themselves in the NHS rather successfully. Johnson will be out telling everyone how he loves the NHS them saving his life and everything.

Even though you have to do very little Google research to realise they utterly loathe the NHS and would privatise it in an instant if they thought they could get away with it.

I don't think they loathe it, I just think they believe its too expensive and gordian knot some clever treasury minister will one day solve.

It's interesting to see how the German hybrid private insurance/public-funded model has been able to scale it's ICU capacity during the crisis. It's because the government force private insurance companies to build spare capacity. I doubt we'll see the NHS building spare hospitals anytime soon.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Another myth
“The Tories wanted the NHS”.
They voted 22 TIMES against it . They supported the doctors resisting it that led to the deal which Bevan called “stuffing their mouths with gold”.
Why did Churchill not win in 1945? Because he and other senior Tories assumed that having won the war, suffered loss and deprivation, the British people would know its place and return to slums, poverty, no healthcare or decent education. They were wrong.
Since then they have grudgingly accepted that there is no clear route to destroying it. But they have taken every chance to weaken it and make it subject to capitalism.
To try to portray that differently now is wrong. To say the least.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Ralph wrote:Vote Tory if Labour expect the wealthy to pay a penny extra in tax.

Very confusing post. How much more could anyone have spent on the NHS during this crisis - they've been handed a blank cheque.
As you point out gullible nutters are out clapping their hands at the moon in a ludicrous gesture of gratitude towards people doing the jobs they chose and get paid for.

What more do you want, and how could any other government have done more ?
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

subsub

Post by subsub »

Ralph wrote:
Zambo wrote:

Exposing the hypocrisy of many people.

I’ve witnessed people, with my own eyes & ears who had Tory posters in their window, and at the end of their drives clapping.

If I were braver I’d confront them.

But it’s unforgivable isn’t it?

My sister-in-law was bragging on Facebook about clapping for Boris the other night.
I asked her how she could clap someone who voted against giving health workers a pay rise.
Got the usual bollocks about 'not knowing anything about that' and how much she admired those who work for the NHS!

Just shows the mindset of so many people with their head in the sand.
WOKE AND PROUD

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Hillman avenger wrote:Another myth
“The Tories wanted the NHS”.
They voted 22 TIMES against it . They supported the doctors resisting it that led to the deal which Bevan called “stuffing their mouths with gold”.
Why did Churchill not win in 1945? Because he and other senior Tories assumed that having won the war, suffered loss and deprivation, the British people would know its place and return to slums, poverty, no healthcare or decent education. They were wrong.
Since then they have grudgingly accepted that there is no clear route to destroying it. But they have taken every chance to weaken it and make it subject to capitalism.
To try to portray that differently now is wrong. To say the least.

Does any of that matter much 70 years later and during a healthcare emergency ?
Yes Churchill was against the NHS for very good reasons and he was correct that it'd turn into a huge all consuming fucking financial disaster which wouldn't even be effective in the aims it was set up to achieve.

We're stuck with it in the present moment of course, but after this crisis we really must take a very serious look at the fact that it doesn't work.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

All this clapping nonsense is all very nice and it makes the middle-classes feel all warm and fuzzy etc. But what people really should do is write to their local MP and demand basic wage increases or something along those lines. Of course, whether or not that makes any real difference I really couldn't say. But clapping is fucking pointless.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Would pay increases help anything at the moment ?
Surely ventilators and equipment are the priority.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Royal24s wrote:
Ralph wrote:Vote Tory if Labour expect the wealthy to pay a penny extra in tax.

Very confusing post. How much more could anyone have spent on the NHS during this crisis - they've been handed a blank cheque.
EXACTLY THE POINT.
You can throw all the money you like at healthcare in the short-term to little effect.
It needs LONG-TERM support
NOT taking away 1000 critical care beds
NOT getting into petty disputes with doctors
NOT wasting money on privatising and outsourcing
NOT refusing to pay decent wages
NOT watching staff shortages increase and driving out EU contributors.
NOT ignoring the WHO's experience
NOT ignoring the results of stress tests on the NHS

As you point out gullible nutters are out clapping their hands at the moon in a ludicrous gesture of gratitude towards people doing the jobs they chose and get paid for.

What more do you want, and how could any other government have done more ?
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Home Office published an updated points-based system yesterday which means people like care workers simply won't be able to either stay in or enter the UK. Nurses are also affected.

You'd think the Home Office would provide points for the people Tory MPs like to video themselves clapping. But no.