A Brief Reminder

mark
Forum Admin

A Brief Reminder

Post by mark »

In the recent strange and strained times, thanks very much for the overall continued support for reasonable behavours on here, especially in many of the the divisive topics that are discussed in this Debate & Discussion section.

There have been one or two indiscretions which have led to to reports. My view at the moment is that a simple reminder is all we need, let's hope that view is shared. No more than that. This is the reminder, take it easy and take care of yourselves.

mark
Forum Admin

Re: A Brief Reminder

Post by mark »

The problem is that we have flare ups of these types of insults thrown around with some gay abandon. Some people don't like the term gammon, personally I have no time for made up words like Remoaner. Then we have terms such as snowflakes, people being described as communists for holding a different viewpoint. Others accuse people of being mental because of their viewpoint with terms like racist and Nazi sometimes thrown around.

I have put this sort of thing up for discussion before. Over everything else we have a duty upon ourselves not to go to points where content becomes illegal. Given the format of the site, that content is simply your and my posts in the various threads.

The question is where we draw the line for those terms and phrases which are not at the level that would cause us problems in a legal matter? In the past people have wanted as much freedom of expression as possible. To have that, others also need the same level of freedom.

We provide this place as an open space for people to express their opinions. In doing that we create a situation where people are likely to come across opinions we do not agree with, in some cases strongly so. If we want to keep the discussion open and lightly moderated, then people will need to understand that there will be opinions expressed and terms used that will not be to some people's liking. We are not a left wing forum, nor are we a right wing site. We are not specifically pro anything and we tend not to be anti anything (apart from shared opinions about the dreadful quality of TalkSPORT and related content)

Do we want to ban words or phrases that we don’t like? That would give the option for other people to request bans for words that they don’t like. And in anticipation of the question below, one of the things we need to consider is where intent goes beyond acceptable levels. So, where does humour morph into insult and eventually stretch to goading? For all those who might complain, it isn’t an easy question for the moderators to answer.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I put people who repeat the same inane nonsense and catchphrases on ignore, not worth my time. Works for me anyway.

Banning words seems a little silly.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

You'd never get agreement on words that should be banned so it's a non starter. It's the intent behind the use of them that causes the problem. They are used specifically to goad and inflame by some on a regular basis, and that is what will be judged outside of Pandemonium, not the actual word used.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

:mrgreen: he said the word "gay" :smt042
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

AlcoholBrazil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm :mrgreen: he said the word "gay" :smt042
I reverted to 19th century speak, momentarily.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

I still see terms such as sjw, virtue signaller, libtard etc still in use from the alt right members on here to pigeon hole those with views anywhere sliglthy to the left.

If that can continue unchallenged, then so can terms like gammon

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

You are perfectly free to use that term. Be my guest. I love gammon as a food , by the way.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:57 pm I still see terms such as sjw, virtue signaller, libtard etc still in use from the alt right members on here to pigeon hole those with views anywhere sliglthy to the left.

If that can continue unchallenged, then so can terms like gammon
It all demonstrates why banning words becomes difficult so the onus then falls on everybody using them to not take it to levels of abuse and insult, including you. Remember that.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

mark wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 pm
AlcoholBrazil wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm :mrgreen: he said the word "gay" :smt042
I reverted to 19th century speak, momentarily.
yee gads

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Paging MyWibbz
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Hey nonny

No longer the Bridesmaid

Sidders please please PLEASE give us a para of yer finest wibblese

No longer the Bridesmaid

Top top two impersonations:

Sidders Wibberz
Reginalds Stanloi

Sid Pervcat

Post by Sid Pervcat »

Milfs Errr gilf's. Maddie, no but yes, hey nonny. Most Errr queer as per old friend, new friend, girlfriend. Indeed we are. Spacemen 3 err as it were. Gilf's. Nonny.