Dynamo

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Royal24s

Dynamo

Post by Royal24s »

No, it's not about a TV conjourer. It's the operational name for the last time we had to extricate ourselves from an European mainland dominated by Germany which was rapidly forming itself into a Super State under unelected masters.

Today is the anniversary of the Dunkirk evacuations, and some of us recall the heroism of those members of the BEF who fought an impossible but brave campaign in France then a magnificent rearguard action to ensure the escape of our own lads and I think about 130,00 patriotic eurosceptic Frenchmen.
Equally , the members of the Royal and Merchant navy and civilians who brought them home to reorganise , rearm then go back and eventually kick the German Arse for the first time in that war at El Alemein.

It was a lot simpler to deal with those who objected in those days of course, but let's remember those patriotic men who fought bravely and never gave up in their loyalty to our once great country.

They suffered terribly , but they did not demand ,or even think about the hero status demanded today by NHS workers or shelf stackers in supermarkets.
Fortunately they are no longer with us to see what has become of the country they bled and died for without hesitation - they are in a better place !

Nonetheless , we might consider them today and if we listen carefully we might hear their souls cry out reminding us of what we used to and still SHOULD be !

'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

shabbado

Re: Dynamo

Post by shabbado »

Some people just don't want that war to end.
A joyless arsehole.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

My Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk and returned to France nearly exactly four years later on D Day.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Basualdo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm My Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk and returned to France nearly exactly four years later on D Day.

Really.
You hinted at being a Swansea supporter, ( I can understand why you'd be discrete about it), so I wonder what Regiment he was in. My Grandfather's brother was from Onllwyn you see ,was in the local regiment and was evacuated from the beach, so I wonder whether they served together.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The Dunkirk Miracle of Deliverance. Very aptly named.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 pm
Basualdo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm My Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk and returned to France nearly exactly four years later on D Day.

Really.
You hinted at being a Swansea supporter, ( I can understand why you'd be discrete about it), so I wonder what Regiment he was in. My Grandfather's brother was from Onllwyn you see ,was in the local regiment and was evacuated from the beach, so I wonder whether they served together.

I've been looking but I can't find it on google . I thought it was something like the "Esslwyn Rifles" but nothing like that. It was formed largely out of the Pembrokeshire Yeomanry and later encorporated into the 53rd Welsh Infantry, but I'm buggered if I can find it - any ideas ?
I've got his medals in a box somewhere which would tell me but no idea where it might be

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm Some people just don't want that war to end.
You clearly view it with utter disdain.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

A humiliating retreat euphemised as the great escape. A convenient nostalgic bandwagon for the same morons to jump on and shoehorn in their own agendas.

Not sure the residents of Jersey look back at this so fondly.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Hey the The Tick is back. Good times roll.

I've always enjoyed your bollocks.

:D

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

m4rkb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 pm Hey the The Tick is back. Good times roll.

Didn't enjoy that bit much. People don't understand how well the BEF fought in that campaign , or the shock it must have been to witness attrocities on the part of the Germans which hadn't been seen in modern warfare.
They reformed, very much motivated by the actions of the Germans and the SS in particular to make it a close thing in Crete and eventually get the best of the dirty bastards in the desert at Alemein.

You know, I said in the OP that it's a good thing that those boys can't see the legacy of their sacrifice and determination, and that's the sort of monstrous comment which insults their memory and honour.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Really.
Royal Ulster Rifles.

I'm not a Jack, or even Welsh, though I lived in South Wales for years. One of my mates was a big Swansea supporter even though it was Bluebird turf.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 pm
m4rkb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 pm Hey the The Tick is back. Good times roll.

Didn't enjoy that bit much. People don't understand how well the BEF fought in that campaign , or the shock it must have been to witness attrocities on the part of the Germans which hadn't been seen in modern warfare.
They reformed, very much motivated by the actions of the Germans and the SS in particular to make it a close thing in Crete and eventually get the best of the dirty bastards in the desert at Alemein.

You know, I said in the OP that it's a good thing that those boys can't see the legacy of their sacrifice and determination, and that's the sort of monstrous comment which insults their memory and honour.
This is why I used the word 'bollocks'.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

m4rkb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm Some people just don't want that war to end.
:lol: :lol:
A joyless arsehole.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I dont want people to stop remembering what a sacrifice these people made for us to buld the greatest society the world has ever seen.

No matter how bad we think we have it, all of our problems pale into insignificance to what these people did for their country, and the world.

To forget it would be incredibly disrespectful.
Build Back More Betterer

m4rkb

Post by m4rkb »

shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:40 pm
m4rkb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm
:lol: :lol:
You've obviously lived a good life here in Britain off the back of their achievements yet you ridicule them. Tell me what would have been better for you had we lost to Hitler and the Nazis?