Dynamo

In-depth debate on all topical issues
shabbado

Re: Dynamo

Post by shabbado »

m4rkb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:40 pm
m4rkb wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm Some people just don't want that war to end.
You clearly view it with utter disdain.
:lol: :lol:
You've obviously lived a good life here in Britain off the back of their achievements yet you ridicule them. Tell me what would have been better for you had we lost to Hitler and the Nazis?
Show me the ridicule
A joyless arsehole.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Eaststand wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:47 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:37 pm Some people just don't want that war to end.
I dont want people to stop remembering what a sacrifice these people made for us to buld the greatest society the world has ever seen.

No matter how bad we think we have it, all of our problems pale into insignificance to what these people did for their country, and the world.

To forget it would be incredibly disrespectful.
Who said we should forget it?
A joyless arsehole.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

its an odd comment to make about someone talking about it.

I dont think you probably do, but thats what that comment sounded like. If you talk about it, you never want it to end.

No. We want to remember it.
Build Back More Betterer

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Look through the OPs posting history with respect to the war.
A joyless arsehole.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

its cool though, these were the last badasses. Everyone else following was a pussy compared. It is kind of fascinating.
Build Back More Betterer

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Basualdo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:13 pm
Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 pm
Basualdo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm My Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk and returned to France nearly exactly four years later on D Day.

Really.
You hinted at being a Swansea supporter, ( I can understand why you'd be discrete about it), so I wonder what Regiment he was in. My Grandfather's brother was from Onllwyn you see ,was in the local regiment and was evacuated from the beach, so I wonder whether they served together.
Royal Ulster Rifles.

I'm not a Jack, or even Welsh, though I lived in South Wales for years. One of my mates was a big Swansea supporter even though it was Bluebird turf.

No wonder you're such a decent chap then. The Ulster Rifles in its various incarnations has a proud and honourable history.
Actually, ( much as I'll have a joke), one thing I've always detested is the vitriol towards Swansea amongst a certain section of supporters at Wales' leading club, and as I've had occasion to say on the boards there , it's stuff like the subject of this thread which shows that we have much more in common than that which sets us apart.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 pm Look through the OPs posting history with respect to the war.

What do you think my posting history is with respect to war ?

I've been opposed to quite a few wars including the Balkans and Iraq actually.

However , and it is one of the most regrettable aspects of history, war is in the nature of mankind, as is violence generally. Like all such temporal evils, we are forced to confront them because the alternative is to allow wickedness and cruelty to prevail .

What you may perceive as bellicosity is in fact a realism and connection with the real world which goes far beyond the subject of war, and which some appear to have lost.

Don't therefore attempt to take the high moral ground because you're in denial of such realities. They won't go away if we pretend they don't exist, any more than the Germans would have been deterred by the sort of woolly minded self rightcheous bullshit we know hear from soft people.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:23 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 pm Look through the OPs posting history with respect to the war.

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.
A joyless arsehole.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:28 pm

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.
Is that what you call it ?
It was quite important you know. I'd start listing the part that my relatives took in it and the traumas of growing up in the shadow of those events with the loss in action of eleven close family members , but suffice it to say that I do regard it as worth mentioning - even if you find it tiresome .

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

being interested in something isnt fetishising something.
Build Back More Betterer

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Eaststand wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 pm being interested in something isnt fetishising something.
He's a Liverpool fetishist?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:39 pm

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.
It was quite important you know. I'd start listing the part that my relatives took in it and the traumas of growing up in the shadow of those events with the loss in action of eleven close family members , but suffice it to say that I do regard it as worth mentioning - even if you find it tiresome .
Lots of use of the word 'we' when discussing the war.

I doubt you're old enough to have fought or served in any shape or form.

Your posts on the subject tend to look back on those days with a misplaced romanticism.

Why is that?
A joyless arsehole.

Reg

Post by Reg »

Basualdo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:49 pm My Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk and returned to France nearly exactly four years later on D Day.
Was he evacuated in a bottle? :)
Roy IN!!

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 pm

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.

Your posts on the subject tend to look back on those days with a misplaced romanticism.

Why is that?
we as a country.

we are allowed to be proud of our achievements.

We did win WW2. It is a "we".

There is no misplaced romanticism for these super cool badasses preventing us from experiencing the horrors of growing up and living in hitlers ideal society. They gave their lives for us.

I have literally no idea why you would be against patriotism. This is something WE should NEVER stop being proud of.
Build Back More Betterer

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 pm

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.

Why is that?

Well, my late mother, who had the rare gift of speaking French without a trace of an accent was landed in occupied France and later decorated for her work. My late father took part in two defences of Tobruk and El Alamein and was also highly decorated. Two of my uncles were shot down and killed in the RAF and another sunk and drowned by U boat action on the HMS Royal Oak.

Is that what you think is 'romanticised ' ? Cause it's not.

I could go on and mention other family members, but I think a family is entitled to the term "we".

So there we are, I've justified my choice of words, although I did mean " we" as a nation.

I have actually been in the army since you ask, and even though it was a very long time ago, it wasn't during WW2 because not even I'm that old.

The bottom line is that you spoke of the Dunkirk veterans very disrespectfully , which is your choice, and you're trying to justify it.