Dynamo

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Eaststand

Re: Dynamo

Post by Eaststand »

you dont need to explain yourself like that.

Everything these madlads did to make sure we were free should be referred to as "we"

FOREVER.
Build Back More Betterer

subsub

Post by subsub »

Royal24s wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:17 am I have actually been in the army since you ask
Wowzers, Royals, you sure have an impressive CV :)
I don't think there's anything wrong with using 'we' when talking about what GB and the Allied forces did at WWII, by the way.
It was a stupendous effort and a huge sacrifice that ensured the Nazis didn't prevail.
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

subsub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:19 am
Royal24s wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:17 am I have actually been in the army since you ask
I don't think there's anything wrong with using 'we' when talking about what GB and the Allied forces did at WWII, by the way.
It was a stupendous effort and a huge sacrifice that ensured the Nazis didn't prevail.
:dart:

When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Eaststand wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:21 am you dont need to explain yourself like that.

Everything these madlads did to make sure we were free should be referred to as "we"

FOREVER.
You and i certainly did not do anything in the war.
A joyless arsehole.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Royal24s wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:17 am
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:44 pm
Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:39 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:28 pm
Royal24s wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:23 pm
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 pm Look through the OPs posting history with respect to the war.

What do you think my posting history is with respect to war ?
2nd world war?

You fetishise it.
Is that what you call it ?
It was quite important you know. I'd start listing the part that my relatives took in it and the traumas of growing up in the shadow of those events with the loss in action of eleven close family members , but suffice it to say that I do regard it as worth mentioning - even if you find it tiresome .
Lots of use of the word 'we' when discussing the war.

I doubt you're old enough to have fought or served in any shape or form.

Your posts on the subject tend to look back on those days with a misplaced romanticism.

Why is that?

Well, my late mother, who had the rare gift of speaking French without a trace of an accent was landed in occupied France and later decorated for her work. My late father took part in two defences of Tobruk and El Alamein and was also highly decorated. Two of my uncles were shot down and killed in the RAF and another sunk and drowned by U boat action on the HMS Royal Oak.

Is that what you think is 'romanticised ' ? Cause it's not.

I could go on and mention other family members, but I think a family is entitled to the term "we".

So there we are, I've justified my choice of words, although I did mean " we" as a nation.

I have actually been in the army since you ask, and even though it was a very long time ago, it wasn't during WW2 because not even I'm that old.

The bottom line is that you spoke of the Dunkirk veterans very disrespectfully , which is your choice, and you're trying to justify it.
That's simply not true.

Can you post up the evidence?
A joyless arsehole.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Royal24s wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:17 am The bottom line is that you spoke of the Dunkirk veterans very disrespectfully
No, he didn't.

This is what Shab said on the first page:
Some people just don't want that war to end
How is that "speaking of the Dunkirk veterans very disrespectfully"?
WOKE AND PROUD

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

I think that there is a huge difference about harping on about the war, and remembering it's very brave men and women and what they sacrificed.

When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Zambo wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:25 am I think that there is a huge difference about harping on about the war, and remembering it's very brave men and women and what they sacrificed.

No doubt.

There are also those who misappropriate the memory of those who fought and what they fought against for their own nefarious means.

Equating the struggle and sacrifice of WW2 to Brexit it's appalling.
A joyless arsehole.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

A bunch of gammons trying to take reflected glory from a retreat manoeuvre. A society which harps on about the past exposes its lack of vision for the future. Time to pull the plastic flags out and pretend everything's ok.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Tick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:06 am A bunch of gammons trying to take reflected glory from a retreat manoeuvre. A society which harps on about the past exposes its lack of vision for the future. Time to pull the plastic flags out and pretend everything's ok.
Saw you were back yesterday, Tick. Welcome home. :)
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

subsub

Post by subsub »

shabbado wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:37 am Equating the struggle and sacrifice of WW2 to Brexit it's appalling.
Yes, that is imbecilic in the extreme, given that:
- Britain relied on the help of other countries to end the conflict, and if we'd gone it alone we would have been screwed
- the EU was set up primarily to prevent world wars happening in the future
WOKE AND PROUD

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

shabbado wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am
shabbado wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 pm Look through the OPs posting history with respect to the war.

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.
It was quite important you know. I'd start listing the part that my relatives took in it and the traumas of growing up in the shadow of those events with the loss in action of eleven close family members , but suffice it to say that I do regard it as worth mentioning - even if you find it tiresome .

Your posts on the subject tend to look back on those days with a misplaced romanticism.

Why is that?

Well, my late mother, who had the rare gift of speaking French without a trace of an accent was landed in occupied France and later decorated for her work. My late father took part in two defences of Tobruk and El Alamein and was also highly decorated. Two of my uncles were shot down and killed in the RAF and another sunk and drowned by U boat action on the HMS Royal Oak.

I could go on and mention other family members, but I think a family is entitled to the term "we".

So there we are, I've justified my choice of words, although I did mean " we" as a nation.

I have actually been in the army since you ask, and even though it was a very long time ago, it wasn't during WW2 because not even I'm that old.

The bottom line is that you spoke of the Dunkirk veterans very disrespectfully , which is your choice, and you're trying to justify it.
That's simply not true.

What is disrespectful is a matter of opinion. I've given mine, you've given yours and now let's leave it there because it'll just become a slanging match.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Royal24s wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:17 am

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.

Why is that?

That's simply not true.

What is disrespectful is a matter of opinion. I've given mine, you've given yours and now let's leave it there because it'll just become a slanging match.
No. You simply can't post up an untruth and then attempt to weasel away.
A joyless arsehole.

subsub

Post by subsub »

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.

Why is that?

That's simply not true.

That's pretty poor, Royals.
You made a very specific accusation against Shab which he asked you to back up, and you've failed to do so.
And now you're trying to fudge it with a flimsy 'let's leave it there'.
Not good.
WOKE AND PROUD

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

shabbado wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:19 am

2nd world war?

You fetishise it.

Why is that?

That's simply not true.

No. You simply can't post up an untruth and then attempt to weasel away.

Far from it. I had to exercise some restraint in my language when replying to your post because I found it quite insulting to the memory of those who died.

Now you accuse me of dishonesty and cowardice, which is also insulting.

What happens next if I respond in kind is a big slanging match which ends up going nowhere.

If you want to carry on name calling that's up to you . I'm not going to bother.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".