Positive Things to Come out of Covid-19

In-depth debate on all topical issues
VeritasVincit

Re: Positive Things to Come out of Covid-19

Post by VeritasVincit »

My widow neighbour, who previously I had very infrequently spoken to, is now bringing me cake.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

my amazon sales are up by a 1000% at least
Build Back More Betterer

subsub

Post by subsub »

Eaststand wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm my amazon sales are up by a 1000% at least
What do you sell, East-o?
WOKE AND PROUD

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

subsub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm
Eaststand wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm my amazon sales are up by a 1000% at least
literally anything, I dont discriminate. The trick to it to spread yourself thin and wide so you dont get stuck with a shit ton of stuff you cant sell, because not every buy will be successful
Build Back More Betterer

subsub

Post by subsub »

Eaststand wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:21 pm
subsub wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm
literally anything, I dont discriminate. The trick to it to spread yourself thin and wide so you dont get stuck with a shit ton of stuff you cant sell, because not every buy will be successful
Gotcha :)
WOKE AND PROUD

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

On this topic I feel it is worth evaluating what we've done as individuals to aid our own living while doing so in a sustainable manner. This isn't a competition to see who's most righteous but a chance to share ideas about how our habits can change in order to support each other as a society.

I've tended more to shop from local smaller stores, sourcing out food and other products grown in local regions. I've cooked more of my own food than relied on supermarket sandwiches and microwave dinners. I've started using a composted in my garden to dispose of natural waste like grass and vegetables/fruits

The intended outcomes are things such as reduced contributions to waste management. Also eating more locally produced foods reduces the reliance on deliveries made by heavy fuel transportation. Buying less items wrapped in plastic where possible.

No doubt working from home means that theres lesser use of public and private transport which reduces pollution.

Ultimately, for those whove been able to tweak their living methods far, will a return to non lockdown revert us back to our old habits? Or can a more lasting positive effect come out of this?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass swedish teenager here, just pondering on what we can all do on a small scale with the indented collective effect on our societies.

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

Undoubtedly these chaps

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

The number of Tory voters has been reduced by around 40,000.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Still not enough to shift Boris. If only Labour can learn to be less rabid in their radical nonsense.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

To some, it won’t matter what Labour say or do. Even if the Tories run the nation into the ground, they’ll still see Labour as the opposition.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

JudgeTedd wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:52 am To some, it won’t matter what Labour say or do. Even if the Tories run the nation into the ground, they’ll still see Labour as the opposition.
That swings both ways. We are now going to have to put up with four years of whining from Labour supporters whatever the Tories do. Mirroring the four year dripping shite from those who lost the EU referendum.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Who knew that being throwing insults to large parts of the electorate would not turn out to be a vote winner ?
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:05 am On this topic I feel it is worth evaluating what we've done as individuals to aid our own living while doing so in a sustainable manner. This isn't a competition to see who's most righteous but a chance to share ideas about how our habits can change in order to support each other as a society.

I've tended more to shop from local smaller stores, sourcing out food and other products grown in local regions. I've cooked more of my own food than relied on supermarket sandwiches and microwave dinners. I've started using a composted in my garden to dispose of natural waste like grass and vegetables/fruits

The intended outcomes are things such as reduced contributions to waste management. Also eating more locally produced foods reduces the reliance on deliveries made by heavy fuel transportation. Buying less items wrapped in plastic where possible.

No doubt working from home means that theres lesser use of public and private transport which reduces pollution.

Ultimately, for those whove been able to tweak their living methods far, will a return to non lockdown revert us back to our old habits? Or can a more lasting positive effect come out of this?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass swedish teenager here, just pondering on what we can all do on a small scale with the indented collective effect on our societies.
Nice, Tick. I've always used my local butcher, but sporadically, now tend to go there most, his business has been good, just a shame no greengrocer nearby.

As to what else, not a lot. As a socalled keyworker, worked all through lockdown, here's my view from that side of the fence. Could see people at work, sometimes a positive, sometimes not, only practical difference was not going out on days off, which was nice when just wanted to chill. Had two weeks holiday when supposed to be away, did fuck all and loved it, met a few people in parks and caught up on stuff been meaning to do, not DIY or gardening, more reading and catching up TV series.

And, as per, what really annoys me about this charity to the NHS shite and feel for those who have lost jobs, on furlough and facing uncertainty. NHS workers are getting fully paid, actually saving money and people are giving free food, discounts at shops and for services, it's fucking crazy and irrational.

Give it all to people and families who need it, not people who have not lost any income. Seeing people tucking into free takeaways, raiding foodbank-like packages for a tin of fucking beans or pasta sauce really irks. And irks many colloeagues as well.

I've said it before and sorry, Tick, for deviating, but many people in the sainted NHS, full of shirkers and cunts are also greedy, selfish bastards. And chill. :weedman:
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

AlcoholBrazil wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:03 pm Who knew that being throwing insults to large parts of the electorate would not turn out to be a vote winner ?
It worked for the Tories.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Carlos J wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 pm
I've said it before and sorry, Tick, for deviating, but many people in the sainted NHS, full of shirkers and cunts are also greedy, selfish bastards. And chill. :weedman:
No reason to doubt your words, carlos. But when all is said and done I'd rather live in a society where the NHS exists than one where it doesn't.

But a good way to support the NHS would be to live a less stressful and more healthier lifestyle in order to avoid medical ailments as much as possible.

Back to sustainability, I would hope that little changes in individual behaviours can have a cumulative and positive effect, and force the hand of corporations and governing bodies to take heed.

The video below examines the people versus governors approach to sustainable living. Both can make a positive effect if prepared to compromise and possibly, just possibly, coronavirus can be the spark to aid that. We'll see.