Reading stabbings

In-depth debate on all topical issues
The Tick

Re: Reading stabbings

Post by The Tick »

In other words the failure of the system to monitor him properly or provide any support to keep him from doing harm is a factor in the tragedy that unfolded.

The system is indeed failing society.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am In other words the failure of the system to monitor him properly or provide any support to keep him from doing harm is a factor in the tragedy that unfolded.

No, the system failed because they deemed it was safe for him to be released. The single most important factor, was the protection of society. People like that don't respond to 'support'. He was radicalised ffs.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am In other words the failure of the system to monitor him properly or provide any support to keep him from doing harm is a factor in the tragedy that unfolded.

He had a dedicated mental health team, he didn't use them and when they tried to contact them he avoided them. The police visited him the night before and he said he was fine. They had no power to arrest him.

I'm not sure how else they were meant to support him other than following around the street. It's obvious he was intent on killing people,

Other systems elsewhere the more crime you commit the fewer freedoms you enjoy, maybe its time we started thinking about house curfews for habitual offenders?

Probably time to review the deportation criteria as well.

Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Best to have him deported obviously, instead of wasting precious resources on a scumbag.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:22 pm

No, the system failed because they deemed it was safe for him to be released. The single most important factor, was the protection of society. People like that don't respond to 'support'. He was radicalised ffs.
So failure to adequately monitor him. That was covered by my last post.

To revise how we incarcerate or deal otherwise with nutjobs like him is a good thing.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 pm

To revise how we incarcerate or deal otherwise with nutjobs like him is a good thing.
No, monitoring has nothing to do with it, releasing him was. Black and white really, if they hadn't, then three people would still be alive.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

The nutjob served his time.

Ultimately you cant predict if someone will kill. Especially if theyve not done it previously.

Its sad but sometimes bad things happen.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Once you've served your full sentence there is no mechanism to 'monitor' you without a court order under the terrorism act or hospitalise you under the mental health act.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

The Tick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm The nutjob served his time.

Ultimately you cant predict if someone will kill. Especially if theyve not done it previously.

How would you feel if one of the murdered was one of your relatives? Would you be still be happy that the nutjob had served his time?

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:35 pm
The Tick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm The nutjob served his time.

How would you feel if one of the murdered was one of your relatives? Would you be still be happy that the nutjob had served his time?
Id be unhappy whatever the circumstances. The important thing is that he is locked up for good now.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Zambo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:35 pm How would you feel if one of the murdered was one of your relatives? Would you be still be happy that the nutjob had served his time?
If someone parked in front of my garage I'd want them executed. That doesn't mean they should be.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

JimmyDee wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:43 pm
Zambo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:35 pm How would you feel if one of the murdered was one of your relatives? Would you be still be happy that the nutjob had served his time?
If someone parked in front of my garage I'd want them executed. That doesn't mean they should be.
I wouldn't because I'd get them to move. Bit of a daft comparison anyway. Moreover no one is talking about executing anyone.

The point is, people who are an obvious danger to the public, should not be released like this cunt was. He had spent years in and out of prison for violent offences, and if they couldn't hear the alarm bells after that there is no place for them in the system.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Zambo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm The point is, people who are an obvious danger to the public, should not be released like this cunt was. He had spent years in and out of prison for violent offences, and if they couldn't hear the alarm bells after that there is no place for them in the system.
As I understand it they have no other option. I was told thay it works like this:

1. convicted of a crime, get a two years sentence.
2. spend one year in jail.
3. when you get out the rest of your sentence is parole, so the state can boss you around for a year.
4. after two years you're free as a bird

If you serve the full two years there isn't any parole.

I could be wrong, but that's how it was explained to me once.

The Tick

Post by The Tick »

Zambo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm
JimmyDee wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:43 pm
I wouldn't because I'd get them to move. Bit of a daft comparison anyway. Moreover no one is talking about executing anyone.

The point is, people who are an obvious danger to the public, should not be released like this cunt was. He had spent years in and out of prison for violent offences, and if they couldn't hear the alarm bells after that there is no place for them in the system.
Once he's served his time that's pretty much it.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Vespa wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:06 pm
Zambo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:13 pm The point is, people who are an obvious danger to the public, should not be released like this cunt was. He had spent years in and out of prison for violent offences, and if they couldn't hear the alarm bells after that there is no place for them in the system.
As I understand it they have no other option. I was told thay it works like this:

1. convicted of a crime, get a two years sentence.
2. spend one year in jail.
3. when you get out the rest of your sentence is parole, so the state can boss you around for a year.
4. after two years you're free as a bird

If you serve the full two years there isn't any parole.

I could be wrong, but that's how it was explained to me once.
I think that is spot on, but imo woefully inadequate as both a suitabl punishment and deterrent. I don't think that provides justice for the victim and their families in many cases either.