What do you see?

In-depth debate on all topical issues
JimmyDee

Re: What do you see?

Post by JimmyDee »

Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm That is exactly the reaction they were aiming for.
Anyone remember the Gregg's Xmas ad, with a sausauge-roll representing The Baby Jesus? Exactly the self-same thing.
Audi released this as a Twitter-only ad for a reason, and it was "part one" in a series of ... er ... one :-)

===
Maybe if this one hadn't worked they'd have had Mum, washing the car, posing submissively and covered in soapy-suds ... on her face. See if they get any bites on that one.
Last edited by JimmyDee on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

millions of pounds of free press for ten minutes work
Build Back More Betterer

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Eaststand wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 pm millions of pounds of free press for ten minutes work
Off-at-a-tangent Warning!
I'll disagree with the "ten minutes". Companies, and ad-twats, spend millons every year on focus-groups and associated research.
The reason ALL cereals have a yellow box is for a reason. It's always amusing to me that on The Apprentice some "bright" spark, asked to design a campaign for cereals, says "why don't we use a blue box? No-one's ever thought of that before!" Well, they have, but it just doesn't work.

Voice-overs ...
Scottish = we'll look after your money.
Northern = comforting, solid and reliable.
Cockney = pulling a bit of a fast one: you won't be one those muppets that use other companies.

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Breakfast in itself is a scam, that was just thought up to shift pork.
Build Back More Betterer

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:14 pm
Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm That is exactly the reaction they were aiming for.
Anyone remember the Gregg's Xmas ad, with a sausauge-roll representing The Baby Jesus? Exactly the self-same thing.
Audi released this as a Twitter-only ad for a reason, and it was "part one" in a series of ... er ... one :-)

===
Maybe if this one hadn't worked they'd have had Mum, washing the car, posing submissively and covered in soapy-suds ... on her face. See if they get any bites on that one.

:lol:
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:33 pm
Eaststand wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 pm millions of pounds of free press for ten minutes work
Off-at-a-tangent Warning!
I'll disagree with the "ten minutes". Companies, and ad-twats, spend millons every year on focus-groups and associated research.
The reason ALL cereals have a yellow box is for a reason. It's always amusing to me that on The Apprentice some "bright" spark, asked to design a campaign for cereals, says "why don't we use a blue box? No-one's ever thought of that before!" Well, they have, but it just doesn't work.

Voice-overs ...
Scottish = we'll look after your money.
Northern = comforting, solid and reliable.
Cockney = pulling a bit of a fast one: you won't be one those muppets that use other companies.
Kellogg’s Frosties has a blue box..... and they’re grrrrrreeeat!!
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

JudgeTedd wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 pm Kellogg’s Frosties has a blue box..... and they’re grrrrrreeeat!!
I fucking knew that there'd be a counter-example. Fuck!
:-)

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:43 pm
JudgeTedd wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:37 pm Kellogg’s Frosties has a blue box..... and they’re grrrrrreeeat!!
I fucking knew that there'd be a counter-example. Fuck!
:-)
And Rice Krispies for that matter ( but they’re shit!). :D
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Snap crackle and pop ... the new slogan for the Breakfast Show.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 pm
Vespa wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 am
Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:44 am What is the point of it, though?

What message are they trying to convey?

Seeing a child leaning against a car in the pose of a grown woman whilst about to put a banana in her mouth (and we know what the connotation is there) would not induce ol’ Pet to buy said car.

And to be honest, I am not normally to be found among the ranks of the Recreationally Offended Community but the more I look at that image the more disturbing I find it.

What the heck were here parents thinking, letting their kinder get involved in that?
It's part of a campaign to present the A4 as a family car, they have pictures of different members of the 'family' and the car to convey that.
I'd imagine the parents were thinking it's a standard modelling gig.

To me, it is a picture of a cute kid.

What I failed to see was a child eating a banana was a metaphor for paedophilia and oral sex. If you (not you pet) see a picture of a child eating a banana and your first thought is oral sex you probably need to reflect on that.

So what do you think the significance of the banana is, then?

Why not have her eating an apple or a pear?

And why is she posed in that stance?

When did you ever see a child stood like that against the front grill of a car like that?

Don’t think for one moment the ad agency people and their Audi paymasters didn’t have the same debate about it we are having here.

And then went right ahead and commissioned it.

So perhaps Jimmy is right....that it is one of those ads which the marketeers know will get pulled but are more interested in the publicity it generates as a result of the controversy.

BTW.....you say it it is part of an overall portfolio depicting other family members.

I would love to see how the mother is depicted.

Would you post that please, V?
They've suspended the campaign so the other images aren't available yet. Although they've started reposing the child image so the rest should be along shortly.

To answer your questions:
It's a piece of fruit, the suggestion they picked it because they wanted a picture of a child sucking a cock is a little far fetched.
No idea, if I were to guess it's because it is a large piece of fruit and looks better in the photo.

When did you ever see a child stood like that against the front grill of a car like that?
I've got a picture of my brothers kids sitting on the roof of my truck surrounded by cows. Have you ever seen kids pose like that?

It's a photo designed to show how family-friendly the A4 is. Honestly, you have to have a weird outlook on life to think they tried to engineer an erotic picture of a child fellating a banana to sell their cars.

It's a girl, eating fruit whilst learning against a car. There is no secret subtext that if you buy an A4 children will give you a blow job.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

They clearly did, they knew Karens would publicise it far and wide for them for free.

Marketers arent fucking dumb, its all on purpose.
Build Back More Betterer

Saints11

Post by Saints11 »

Vespa wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:53 pm
Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 pm
Vespa wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:08 am
Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:44 am What is the point of it, though?

What message are they trying to convey?

Seeing a child leaning against a car in the pose of a grown woman whilst about to put a banana in her mouth (and we know what the connotation is there) would not induce ol’ Pet to buy said car.

And to be honest, I am not normally to be found among the ranks of the Recreationally Offended Community but the more I look at that image the more disturbing I find it.

What the heck were here parents thinking, letting their kinder get involved in that?
It's part of a campaign to present the A4 as a family car, they have pictures of different members of the 'family' and the car to convey that.
I'd imagine the parents were thinking it's a standard modelling gig.

To me, it is a picture of a cute kid.

What I failed to see was a child eating a banana was a metaphor for paedophilia and oral sex. If you (not you pet) see a picture of a child eating a banana and your first thought is oral sex you probably need to reflect on that.

Don’t think for one moment the ad agency people and their Audi paymasters didn’t have the same debate about it we are having here.

And then went right ahead and commissioned it.

So perhaps Jimmy is right....that it is one of those ads which the marketeers know will get pulled but are more interested in the publicity it generates as a result of the controversy.

BTW.....you say it it is part of an overall portfolio depicting other family members.

I would love to see how the mother is depicted.

Would you post that please, V?
They've suspended the campaign so the other images aren't available yet. Although they've started reposing the child image so the rest should be along shortly.

To answer your questions:
It's a piece of fruit, the suggestion they picked it because they wanted a picture of a child sucking a cock is a little far fetched.
No idea, if I were to guess it's because it is a large piece of fruit and looks better in the photo.

I've got a picture of my brothers kids sitting on the roof of my truck surrounded by cows. Have you ever seen kids pose like that?

It's a photo designed to show how family-friendly the A4 is. Honestly, you have to have a weird outlook on life to think they tried to engineer an erotic picture of a child fellating a banana to sell their cars.

It's a girl, eating fruit whilst learning against a car. There is no secret subtext that if you buy an A4 children will give you a blow job.
I'm with you on this young Vespa, Ol' Pet has lost the plot with this one. Strange where his mind took him
mentioning other members is not allowed in signatures

VeritasVincit

Post by VeritasVincit »

Petingo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:36 pm
JimmyDee wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:14 pm

===

:lol:
That's reminded me of the scene from 'Cool Hand Luke'

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Saints11 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:04 pm I'm with you on this young Vespa, Ol' Pet has lost the plot with this one. Strange where his mind took him
It wouldn't entirely astonish me if Audi had put out the word that Disgusted Complaints about this tawdry ad would be more than welcome.

I'll draw a comparison with the John Lewis Christmas ad, every year. In November the Twitter-posts start ... "I can't wait to see the new John Lewis ad", and so it starts, implying that "we" all care about it.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

marketing 101 baby!
Build Back More Betterer