President Biden - Part 2

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: President Biden - Part 2

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:24 pm OK
I repeat
The "agreement" was February 2020 and committed to shrinking the US forces from 15,000 ( at its peak it was 100,000).
By the time Biden took office it was 4000. Nowhere near enough to control Afghanistan, just about enough to defend Kabul and Bagram.
If he had then said he was not accepting the deal ( which I assume had been approved by Congress, so would need to be reversed there) he would have had to order tens of thousands back there. Perhaps that's what he should have done, but can you imagine the strife there would have been about that? Trump would have immediately claimed it was HE who was the "peacemaker" ( ie surrender) and that Biden and the Democrats were warmongers.
In the period February to January 2021, the US could have conducted a structured removal of Afghans at risk. But guess what it was election year and part of Trump's platform was against immigrants....so very little was done.
Biden extended the withdrawal date to August instead, trying to make the best of a bad job by adding three months. Was enough done in those three months?
What is for sure is that Trump has no grounds whatsoever for trying to suggest he would or did do better.
Biden is Commander in Cheif of the most powerful military force in the history of the World, the idea he couldn't have controlled Kabul for a few more weeks is silly.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

I repeat
The "agreement" was February 2020 and committed to shrinking the US forces from 15,000 ( at its peak it was 100,000).
By the time Biden took office it was 4000. Nowhere near enough to control Afghanistan, just about enough to defend Kabul and Bagram.
If he had then said he was not accepting the deal ( which I assume had been approved by Congress, so would need to be reversed there) he would have had to order tens of thousands back there. Perhaps that's what he should have done, but can you imagine the strife there would have been about that? Trump would have immediately claimed it was HE who was the "peacemaker" ( ie surrender) and that Biden and the Democrats were warmongers.
In the period February to January 2021, the US could have conducted a structured removal of Afghans at risk. But guess what it was election year and part of Trump's platform was against immigrants....so very little was done.
Biden extended the withdrawal date to August instead, trying to make the best of a bad job by adding three months. Was enough done in those three months?
What is for sure is that Trump has no grounds whatsoever for trying to suggest he would or did do better.
You don't get it, Hillman. I'm not arguing that Trump's administration was innocent or that Trump would've been the Middle East's political saviour — far from it.
I'm saying that it's CLEAR the Biden administration handled the withdrawal incompetently. Your 'Biden tried to make the best of a bad job' argument is a lame excuse; you're making excuses for him.
I agree with you, Trump, ever the narcissist, has no grounds for suggesting that he would do better. Unfortunately, the Biden administration continue to point the blame at him and others, rather than own up to its own failings. Deflection is an easy but weak argument.

Just in:

And why not, Jen? It's called crisis management. Basics.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

finchman

Post by finchman »

Is the old cunt dead yet?
Joel,Boyce,Alcaraz,Scharner,Espinoza,McCarthy,McArthur,Gomez,(Watson),McManaman,Maloney,Kone,...LEGENDS!

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:56 pm
I repeat
Biden is Commander in Cheif of the most powerful military force in the history of the World, the idea he couldn't have controlled Kabul for a few more weeks is silly.
Exactly.

American military equipment, including an A-29 light attack aircraft worth £17 million and 100,000 70mm rockets, fell into the Taliban's hands. Jesus.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

finchman wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:10 pm Is the old cunt dead yet?
Don't be so cruel.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

lambrini wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:05 pm
I repeat
You don't get it, Hillman. I'm not arguing that Trump's administration was innocent or that Trump would've been the Middle East's political saviour — far from it.
I'm saying that it's CLEAR the Biden administration handled the withdrawal incompetently. Your 'Biden tried to make the best of a bad job' argument is a lame excuse; you're making excuses for him.
I agree with you, Trump, ever the narcissist, has no grounds for suggesting that he would do better. Unfortunately, the Biden administration continue to point the blame at him and others, rather than own up to its own failings. Deflection is an easy but weak argument.

Just in:

And why not, Jen? It's called crisis management. Basics.
Biden delayed the withdrawal by nearly four months too yet it was still sudden, cackhanded, and criminally negligent. This is on him.

Hillman avenger

Post by Hillman avenger »

Yes Biden should have reversed the whole thing.
Yes even with four months notice there should not have been this last-minute chaos.
What gets me though is the people attacking him when he is following-through on a shambolic act of his predecessor.
Listen to Talksport and let it be a lesson to you

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:12 pm Yes Biden should have reversed the whole thing.
Yes even with four months notice there should not have been this last-minute chaos.
What gets me though is the people attacking him when he is following-through on a shambolic act of his predecessor.
Sorry, but that’s a load of the same pointing crap from his predecessor which shows an abdication of high office. He as the executor of this withdrawal should have managed the transition in a more orderly manner and safeguarded the lives of American servicemen and Afghan and foreign citizens. I supported him coming in but this a huge fuckup snd he’s getting it in the neck from all sides.

You think he should get a bye because of Trump. Remarkable.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:09 pm Totally agree with you, Lambers that his press conference after the bomb blast was excruciating. It was pitiful and embarrassing. I think him lauding the drone attacks that took out the two ISIS-K operatives was a token and non too impressive response but don’t really know what else he could have done. I would have thought if he wants to restore some kind of order and bearing in mind the Taliban have comprehensive forced the US to withdraw, he needs to be doing all he can to work with the Taliban to overcome ISIS-K.

I just don’t have any confidence Trump would have handled this in a better way and his belligerence is pretty nauseating.
Lawns, I don’t think Biden has the capacity to restore order nor liaise with the Taliban to overcome ISIS-K. He's a weak, tired old man who should be enjoying his last years in Miami, not running one of the most important countries in the world.
God knows why the Democrats thought Biden, given his deteriorating state, would be fit for the presidency. It's shameful.
Last edited by lambrini on Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:12 pm Yes Biden should have reversed the whole thing.
You're shameless, Hillman. Really.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

kancutlawns wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:17 pm
Sorry, but that’s a load of the same pointing crap from his predecessor which shows an abdication of high office. He as the executor of this withdrawal should have managed the transition in a more orderly manner and safeguarded the lives of American servicemen and Afghan and foreign citizens. I supported him coming in but this a huge fuckup snd he’s getting it in the neck from all sides.

You think he should get a bye because of Trump. Remarkable.
+1
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:12 pm
People are attacking him for following through on the plan and not doing anything differently.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:03 pm
Hillman avenger wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:12 pm
People are attacking him for following through on the plan and not doing anything differently.
+1
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

( ◡‿◡ )