World Cup Sweep - into the Stains

Roddy

Re: World Cup sweepstake - THE DRAW

Post by Roddy »

Eh,i want to change my Avater to the greasy cunt on the advert for the crispy wraps and he ended up on a turtle in Breaking Bad but i don't know his name.
You can only live in the world you know.The rest is just wishful thinking or paranoia.

"We shall not go to Canossa!"

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Danny Trejo

"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

The End

Post by The End »

Here's the first round of matches to whet the appetite. All times are UK times:

THURSDAY 14/6

4pm
RUSSIA v SAUDI ARABIA
Subsub v Maude

FRIDAY 15/6

1pm
URUGUAY v EGYPT
Zambo v Two Crows

4pm (live posts from me from the stadium)
IRAN v MOROCCO
Clivert v The End

7pm
PORTUGAL v SPAIN
Sid Pervcat v Darkyboy

SATURDAY 16/6

11am
FRANCE v AUSTRALIA
Basualdo v The Ghost of Alex Higgins

2pm
ARGENTINA v ICELAND
Carlos J v Octavio

5pm
PERU v DENMARK
Lasharoo v Stemcp

8pm
CROATIA v NIGERIA
Shedboy v Beingsoblase

SUNDAY 17/6

1pm
SERBIA v COSTA RICA
Eddie Cheddar v Jimmy Dee

4pm
GERMANY v MEXICO
Mark v Roddy

7pm
BRAZIL v SWITZERLAND
Sinbad v Carcinogen

MONDAY 18/6

1pm
SWEDEN v SOUTH KOREA
Kevin04 v Bad Blue 2000

4pm
BELGIUM v PANAMA
Holden McGroyne v Jonathan

7pm
ENGLAND v TUNISIA
Lou Grant v Rorymac

TUESDAY 19/6

1pm
COLOMBIA v JAPAN
Henrycrs v The Puddin

4pm
POLAND v SENEGAL
Alcohol Brazil v Eaststand

7pm (live posts from me from the stadium)
RUSSIA v EGYPT
Subsub v Two Crows
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:I will be making my way to the stadium this time next week for the one we've all been waiting for - ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN v KINGDOM OF MOROCCO.

How much was the ticket ?

Fifteen quid!!!!!

Bloody hell ! That's amazing..... Seriously, i hope you enjoy the game.

8)

My seven match tickets came to a grand total of 150 quid!

And the other six fixtures are ?

Russia v Egypt
Brazil v Costa Rica
England v Panama
Argentina v Nigeria
A second round match (likely to feature Germany)
Third place match

Give the plucky Nigerians a big cheer from me end-o!
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

The End

Post by The End »

beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:I will be making my way to the stadium this time next week for the one we've all been waiting for - ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN v KINGDOM OF MOROCCO.

Fifteen quid!!!!!

8)

Russia v Egypt
Brazil v Costa Rica
England v Panama
Argentina v Nigeria
Third place match

Is that a euphemism for 'blacking up'? :shock:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

The End wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:

Fifteen quid!!!!!

8)

Russia v Egypt
Brazil v Costa Rica
England v Panama
Argentina v Nigeria
Third place match

Certainly not! They're my team in the sweepstake, that's all.
"Stop drinking on an empty stomach and tweeting on an empty head, you fucking booze-addled halfwit."

The End

Post by The End »

beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:

Fifteen quid!!!!!

8)

Russia v Egypt
Brazil v Costa Rica
England v Panama
Argentina v Nigeria
Third place match

Thank heavens (or whatever weird God Nigerians have) for that!

beingsoblase

Post by beingsoblase »

The End wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:
beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:
The End wrote:
Sinbad wrote:

Fifteen quid!!!!!

8)

Russia v Egypt
Brazil v Costa Rica
England v Panama
Argentina v Nigeria
Third place match

Allah or god, Nigeria is roughly half muslim and half christian.
(I'm checking up on random Nigerian facts)

The End

Post by The End »

beingsoblase wrote:
The End wrote:[
Allah or god, Nigeria is roughly half muslim and half christian.
(I'm checking up on random Nigerian facts)

Capital used to be Lagos. They realised Lagos was insane. Built a new capital in the middle of nowhere - Abuja.

Forward thinking Nigeria.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

beingsoblase wrote:Nigeria is roughly half muslim and half Christian.

Unfortunately for the Biafrans, they were in the Christian half.

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

World Cup Preview - group E

Please God, let this be over soon.

Sinbad
Without doubt, Sinbad is hungry to avenge the 7-1 humiliation to Mark in 2014. When qualification began he was not playing good soccer and at one point was in sixth place and at risk of not making it to Russia. New tactics completely changed the scenario. Sinbad recovered his form, rivals started to fear him again and the good results poured in. Sinbad became the first national team (after the hosts) to secure his place in the World Cup, finishing top of the South American qualifiers. It is hard to talk about weaknesses but they do exist, though.
For the neutral fan the 7-1 result still echoes in our heads, and to erase what happened in 2014, there is only one remedy: the title. A beautiful game might be put aside in favor of results, and that is what the fans want.
Can Sinbad be the champion? Yes. Does he have the team for that? Yes. It doesn't even occur to many Sinbad fans that the World Cup can end before the final, and while losing the title would not be a disaster as long as the team shows the will to win, winning the competition would mean redemption.

Carcinogen
His World Cup likely to be a quick one this time around. Qualifying ended up being the tightest of squeezes for Carcinogen, who edged past Royal24s in the play-offs. In fairness, Carco had ranked highest of the nine second-placed sides in the group stage and was almost unstoppable in the group stage. He entered his final Group B match against Sid Pervcat with a 100 percent record and had caught the European champion cold with a 2-0 home win early on. But Sid won all his subsequent games in an otherwise weak group, meaning The Carc would have to settle for the play-offs if he lost in Lisbon. The Euro 2016 champions avenged that earlier two-goal defeat and progressed; fortunately Carcinogen followed him even if it took a slice of luck. The flanks are Carcinogen's most obvious strong point. There is good depth, too, and the full-backs combine well with some exciting options further forward. Carcinogen's second game, against Eddie Cheddar, already has a "showdown" sort of feel to it. The battle will probably go to the wire but he will fall just short of the runners-up spot and that likely clash with Mark.

Eddie Cheddar
Topping Group D in the UEFA qualifiers was no mean achievement for Cheddo, but it caused surprisingly little fanfare at home. His place at Russia 2018 was confirmed with a 1-0 home win over Kancutlawns, but the celebrations were relatively muted, perhaps because disappointment still lingered at a late 3-2 defeat against SWL-DXer three days earlier.
Qualifying in such serene fashion had seemed a tall order at the outset, though, with Shabaddo and MGA99 joining SWL in the group. The Chedster was consistent throughout, and an ultimately decisive moment came in September 2017, with a 1-0 win in Dublin. There were only two games left to play after that, Chedmeister finishing the job in fine style. If Cheddington can fine-tune it in time, he has a midfield that can match up to almost any in Russia. Cheddo has punched spectacularly above his weight in terms of player production for many years and the sense has long persisted that he is less than the sum of his parts. He looked far more cohesive -- not to mention motivated -- in qualifying, but there are still areas of doubt.
The smart money is on a jostle for second place with a Carco side that has more tournament experience. Eddie Cheddar will pip him to the round of 16 but, with Mark his likely opponent at that stage, further progress looks to be a long shot.

JimmyDee
JimmyDee won his group with 16 points to advance to CONCACAF's Hexagonal phase. In his first game of the round he defeated Lord Laret, and days later scored a resounding 4-0 win over the Colin the Warrior Monkey.
Biggest strength: defense, first and foremost. JimmyDee had the second-best unit of the Hexagonal, allowing just eight goals.
Biggest weakness: "There is a consensus that, despite the 14 qualifying goals, JimmyDee needs a natural centre-forward."The Jimbos" biggest accomplishment is being among the 32 teams that will participate in the tournament, since almost nobody can imagine repeating the feat from four years ago: Losing on penalty kicks to Ccreds in the quarterfinals." -- Luis Miranda, journalist for the Kent Messenger.
JimmyDee sits in Group E with Sinbad, Eddie and Carc. On paper, Sinbad is virtually assured a berth in the round of 16. The Jimbo will be a contender for the second spot, but if he wishes to advance it's imperative he wins his other matches. In case JimmyDee reach the knockout stage, he could face defending champion Mark or CONCACAF rival Roddy.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Group F

Mark
World Cup holders Mark was never in danger of not qualifying for Russia. He finished Group C with a 100 percent record, beating Royal24s, Andybob1, Arthur Brutal, Shivah and Delboy1983 at home and away. He conceded only four goals and scored 43: the highest total in all European groups alongside Holden McGroyne. Mark was in control of his group from the outset and also found the energy to win the 2017 Confederations Cup. Backed by one of the most advanced data systems in world football, he will not only develop strategies for both attack and defence but also continue to improve his set-piece tactics. At the 2014 World Cup, Mark scored five goals from set pieces -- more than any other competitor.
"If there are no major upsets, and the favourites reach the last four, this will be where Mark will bow out. Like many of my peers, I believe he is more balanced than in 2014, but the competitors have caught up. Basualdo, Sinbad, Holden, Lou Grant: one of them will beat Mark." -- Peter Ahrens, Spiegel Online
He has reached the last four at the 2006, 2010 and 2014 World Cups, and the 2008, 2012 and 2016 European Championships. Coming out of a difficult season he might be running low on confidence. On top of that, in recent tournaments defending champions Deisegirl and Darkyboy both failed to make it to the knockout stages. In spite of that, Mark should beat the curse of the titleholders and should reach a seventh consecutive semifinal. From there it's just a short walk to the final.

Roddy
Roddy advanced to CONCACAF's Hexagonal round with 16 points, good enough for first place in his group. El Rod kicked off the final phase with a historic 2-1 win over Colin the Warriormonkey in Columbus, Ohio. Next came a scoreless draw against Jonathan, but Roddy won in his next three games. He draws strength from his defense, displayed in all its glory during a Hexagonal round in which it allowed just seven goals. This could be key to El Rod's longstanding hopes of reaching the quarterfinal round. A major hole comes from his struggles to regain possession at midfield, which would help at both ends. Moreover, many fans believe Roddy's weakest link lies on his bench.
"One must be a realist. I see a complicated group when it comes to the next round, truth be told. Thinking that Mark will win the group, Roddy will battle Kevin04 for second place. Perhaps people don't want to think beyond that because the next phase doesn't bode well for him -- it's more likely that he will finish in second place, and that Sinbad earns first in his group and would be the next opponent. The truth is a fifth game seems like a long shot." -- former forward and current ESPN analyst Jared Borgetti
Roddy starts against Mark, and a good effort in that game could be key in the ensuing matchups and in his quest for the round of 16. If he pulls through, he could face Sinbad and thus a tall order to reach the quarterfinals.

Kevin04
Drawn into a tough UEFA Group A with Basualdo, Ccreds and The Doctor Is In, Kevin wasn't given a lot of respect by the onlookers, however, he surprised by finishing second ahead of Ccreds and then stunned the world by beating Deisegirl in the playoffs by keeping a clean sheet over 180 minutes. That was a major triumph after failing to qualify for the previous two World Cup tournaments. The team spirit is Kevin's biggest strength going into the tournament, and he is also extremely well organised. His motivation knows no bounds, the self-confidence is sky-high and he is very physically strong. With Roddy always making it into the second round, it's only logical to predict that the Kevin would go out at the group stage. A lot will depend on the first game against Bad Blue, though, as a convincing win could turn things around.

Bad Blue 2000
Bad limped through the final round of Asian qualification and was helped over the line more by the failings of others than his own performances. Just four wins from 10 games, all of which came at home, equalled a far-from-convincing performance, and there was some criticism at home for celebrating qualification when it finally came, saying that he had not done enough to deserve to do so. Despite his stumbles along the road to Russia, Bad has improved since, and The Blue Warrior can attack at real speed, and just how fast he can be can be a shock: Henrycrs struggled to cope with the oncoming waves in a November friendly that marked the best performance in some time from the 2002 World Cup semifinalist. For some time, almost since the days of 2002, fans have become accustomed to lapses of concentration at the back; set pieces are a real problem, too, and Roddy, Kevin and Mark will be eager to attack.
For Bad Blue, the target at the World Cup is always the same: Get out of the group stage. It has happened only twice in the previous nine appearances, but both of those have come in the past four. Few fans expect or demand a place in the round of 16. The team's form has been too poor, the overall quality is questionable, and the group is tough: but all is not lost. The low expectations mean there is not much pressure, and there is a feeling that Roddy is beatable. After all, Bad has a decent record against the CONCACAF stars. If so, then a point against Kevin in the opener might be enough, and playing defending champion Mark in the final game could be fortunate timing if the world's No. 1 is already through. But the second round is all about hope rather than expectation. What is expected is an improvement on a dismal 2014 campaign and to compete until the last second.

Octavio

Post by Octavio »

Getting caught up in the World Cup 'fever' now.

My boys (Iceland) will shit Carlos (General Belgrano FC) 1-0 in their opening game a la Cameroon 1990.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I'm waiting for the first Forum War over dirty diving bastitude and beastly clogness:-) Zambo, I bet. He's got previous, in 1986.

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

JimmyDee wrote:I'm waiting for the first Forum War over dirty diving bastitude and beastly clogness:-) Zambo, I bet. He's got previous, in 1986.

'Limping through'.

Sounds like me, Jimmy :(
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...