World Cup General Stuff

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Re: World Cup General Stuff

Post by Carlos J »

Carlos J wrote:[...]

Maybe just me and drink has been taken, but Zico (second right on the bottom) looks a bit like long haired Messi there. :?
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

kancutlawns wrote:
Carlos J wrote:
kancutlawns wrote:
Bad Blue 2000 wrote:WC 1990.
Bought 'World in Motion' 12" and 12" remix. Bought the t-shirt as well.
My first ever time in a pub.

Italia ‘90 seems to be universally held up as THE ultimately memorable World Cup finals (if you take away 1966 which many of us weren’t around for). I happen to have really enjoyed it too but I don’t know why this is. Was it World In Motion, real household greats like Gullit, Van Basten, Gazza, Klinsmann and Maradona, the aitslian game which was the best in the world or anything else? I’ve watched all the World Cups since 1978 and they’ve all been memorable in their own way?

On the subject of these finals, I’ve not really looked forward to it as I have the previous ones. The novelty isn’t really there nor the build up. Could be a host of reasons such as age, wall to wall coverage not just on TS but other news networks, the fact that football has long ceased being the ‘peoples’ game’, the astronomical wages or that there are no real global superstars other than Messi and Ronnie.

I think it's a part nostalgia thing and because England got to the semis. England though stank through an awful group, Platty last minute v Belgium, two pens from the boy Lineacre v Cameroon and actually played well in parts v West Germany.

The rest of the tournament wasn't much better and an awful final. Aside the choppping of Cannigia by Massing RIP, Cameroon's win over the Argies, Costa Rica beating Scotland, Higuita fucking up to allow Milla to score and Schillaci's efforts there wasn't much memorable about it.

Paolo was there and Pete Davies' 'All Played Out' is an excellent read.

Brazil in 82 were a dream. Loved that World Cup from distant memory:

Massing taking out Caniggia was probably the most memorable foul of any World Cup finals I can remember, probably with the exception of Klismnann’s treble back somersault by Monzon in the final of the same tournament. That two of Massing’s team mates tried unsuccessfully to break the marauding solo by the long haired Argentinian striker only exacerbated the scandalous chest high assault. He lost a boot in the process and the French ref gave him only a yellow!

He was shown a red later though but yes, aside from a few nuggets like England vs Germany, conclusion of Belgium, quarter final vs Cameroon and even the third place play off against Italy, as well as the incendiary Holland vs Germany knock out match, the football was generally forgettable. The Ireland matches were good though.

On fouls or not, don't forget another 1982 highlight/lowlight, Schumacher on Battiston. :) Always felt sorry for Romanian keeper Silviu Lung in the penalties v Oirland. Seemed a decent chap, nowhere near any though:

Massing stuff here: https://talkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29631
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Schumacher was a proper cunt who revelled in the notoriety of his act against the Frenchman years later. An unreconstructed cunt a lá Big Ron and Ben Johnson.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Scottish send their infamous midges to Russia to plague England match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44519710
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

The End

Post by The End »

delboy1983 wrote:Monique 1998 say no more,nudge nudge,wink wink

You'll certainly be saying no more.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

The End

Post by The End »

Basualdo wrote:Scottish send their infamous midges to Russia to plague England match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44519710

I can vouch for how annoying they are.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

The Scottish?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

The End

Post by The End »

Basualdo wrote:The Scottish?

:D

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

The midges are bigger.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:WC 1990.
Bought 'World in Motion' 12" and 12" remix. Bought the t-shirt as well.
My first ever time in a pub.

Is there a version with the Barnes rap edited out ?
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

subsub

Post by subsub »

Basualdo wrote:The Scottish?

:lol: :lol:
WOKE AND PROUD

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

I see the ITV highlights show has adopted that stupid BBC affectation of showing the teams with the goalie at the top, so that the right back is on the left and the left back is on the right. The official footage from Russia always does it properly, but no doubt they'll be doing it upside down before long.
Why do really terrible, pointless ideas ALWAYS catch on?
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

The End

Post by The End »

If the First Round groups finished as they currently stand, the Second Round would be:

Russia v Portugal
Iran v Uruguay
France v Iceland
Croatia v Denmark
Serbia v Mexico
Sweden v Brazil
Belgium v Senegal
Japan v England

Then, if according to form:

Portugal v France
Mexico v Belgium
Uruguay v Croatia
Brazil v England

Then:

France v Belgium
Croatia v Brazil

Then:

France v Brazil

Brazil World Champions

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

I beg to differ with the "on form" argument that Portugal would beat Russia on the following basis:
1. Russia have played twice and Portugal just once.
2. Russia have won their first two group matches which has not been done since Germany in 2006.
3. Russia have scored eight goals and conceded just one in their first two matches which is the best opening record in WCF history.
4. Portugal have drawn their only match so far, regardless of the qualification.
5. Portugal are clearly a one man team whilst Russia have scored goals from different sources.
6. Russia were roundly ridiculed and written off by all and sundry and are a very low ranked side.
7. Arsene Wenger is to blame.

Sorry End-o, I'm not being awkward but feel I have strong grounds to counter your argument. Let's get some debate! :)

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

kancutlawns wrote:Schumacher was a proper cunt who revelled in the notoriety of his act against the Frenchman years later. An unreconstructed cunt a lá Big Ron and Ben Johnson.

I remember reading his autobiography when I was about 11 or 12.
Bloody hell, what an exciting childhood. :(
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...