England's World Cup from a Scottish perspective

delboy1983

England's World Cup from a Scottish perspective

Post by delboy1983 »

First of all England's players and staff must be congratulated for finishing 4th in what was a great tournament.
Plus points for me were.

Very dangerous at set pieces

Strategy of a new manager who got rid of the old and went with players he he had brought through the ranks.This breathed new life in the team and for once they looked like they were enjoying themselves and certainly in the group stages played dome decent football without fear of failure.

Individual plus points for

Pickford -great tournament,inspirational and may go yo a bigger club on the back of his performances.Will make the odd mistake but even the best does that[DGea]

Trippier-best full back for me in the tournament again bigger clubs that Spurs hovering.

Stones-Maguire- defended well enough but motr dangerous in the oppostion's box as stated before.

Negatives to follow
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

delboy1983

Re: England's World Cup from a Scottish perspective

Post by delboy1983 »

Negatives

Poor midfield lacking any creativity which ultimately cost them against Croatia who had the exact opposite.
INDIVIDUALLY
Ashley Young -don't rate him as a full back for Man Utd ,cannot defend,mind you alternative was Danny Rose who cannot defend either.

Raheem Sterling -they persevered with him and he got worse but they kept playing him and he didn't improve.Billy Whizz charachter who is a shocking finisher and I see Man City getting rid'

Harry Kane- excellent first game against Tunisia and obviously decent against the pub team but thereafter inexplicably missing for the rest of the tournament.With Sterling having a shocker this made England toothless up front.Was he injured but wanted to hang around to get the Golden Boot We may never know but very strange indeed

The first Belgium game with the weakened sides was too focussed by England spurred on by the media and this got through to the manager and indeed the players.
Belgium thought they could beat Brazil and France and maybe could have.England wanted to avoid them like the plague.

The media kept thir expections low until the 6-1 thrashing of pub team Panama and therafter went in completely the opposite direction mapping routes to the final .The fans joined in and Three Lions topped the charts

Finally although barred I had access to this part of the forum and was astonished at some of the negatively from certain forummers during the tournament.Trust me if Scotland were there good or bad they would have the unwavering support of the country even if they were shit which England weren't
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

delboy1983 wrote:Trust me if Scotland were there good or bad they would have the unwavering support of the country
If Scott Brown was in the side my support would be more shoogly peg than unwavering.

I fucking hate that guy. :lol:

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Shedboy wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:Trust me if Scotland were there good or bad they would have the unwavering support of the country
If Scott Brown was in the side my support would be more shoogly peg than unwavering.

He's retired now Shedders ,so full support resumed if we ever qualify again :lol:
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

delboy1983 wrote:Negatives

Poor midfield lacking any creativity which ultimately cost them against Croatia who had the exact opposite.
INDIVIDUALLY
Ashley Young -don't rate him as a full back for Man Utd ,cannot defend,mind you alternative was Danny Rose who cannot defend either.

Raheem Sterling -they persevered with him and he got worse but they kept playing him and he didn't improve.Billy Whizz charachter who is a shocking finisher and I see Man City getting rid'

Harry Kane- excellent first game against Tunisia and obviously decent against the pub team but thereafter inexplicably missing for the rest of the tournament.With Sterling having a shocker this made England toothless up front.Was he injured but wanted to hang around to get the Golden Boot We may never know but very strange indeed

The first Belgium game with the weakened sides was too focussed by England spurred on by the media and this got through to the manager and indeed the players.
Belgium thought they could beat Brazil and France and maybe could have.England wanted to avoid them like the plague.

The media kept thir expections low until the 6-1 thrashing of pub team Panama and therafter went in completely the opposite direction mapping routes to the final .The fans joined in and Three Lions topped the charts

Finally although barred I had access to this part of the forum and was astonished at some of the negatively from certain forummers during the tournament.Trust me if Scotland were there good or bad they would have the unwavering support of the country even if they were shit which England weren't

second post back is slagging me off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hes not going to last a month.
Build Back More Betterer

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Eaststand wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:Negatives

INDIVIDUALLY

second post back is slagging me off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hes not going to last a month.

Where have I slagged you off :!:
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I think I was the most critical of England, I think everyone knows who you were on about.

Still not convinced by Southgate, tbf
Build Back More Betterer

subsub

Post by subsub »

delboy1983 wrote:I had access to this part of the forum and was astonished at some of the negatively from certain forummers during the tournament

I know, quite staggering, really.
England had a good tournament. Not a great one, but they overdelivered and got further than anyone would have predicted.
But yes, some people chose to heap opprobrium on them repeatedly. Not good :(
WOKE AND PROUD

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

subsub wrote:
delboy1983 wrote:I had access to this part of the forum and was astonished at some of the negatively from certain forummers during the tournament

I know, quite staggering, really.
England had a good tournament. Not a great one, but they overdelivered and got further than anyone would have predicted.
But yes, some people chose to heap opprobrium on them repeatedly. Not good :(

Agreed
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Eaststand wrote:I think I was the most critical of England, I think everyone knows who you were on about.

Still not convinced by Southgate, tbf

Couldn't understand the venom even when they were winning games :!:
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I think when you look at when we played good teams, and how poor we were, some of us could see that coming.

Im all for positivity, but not false positivity.
Build Back More Betterer

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

Eaststand wrote:I think when you look at when we played good teams, and how poor we were, some of us could see that coming.

Im all for positivity, but not false positivity.

Yeah but you surely cheer them on when they are playing.
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Isn't that what you (& SPORTSKEEDA) were giving then stick about before the tournament?

All false optimism and delusion?
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Yeah he did say something very like that.
Build Back More Betterer

Shedboy

Post by Shedboy »

delboy1983 wrote:
Shedboy wrote:

He's retired now Shedders ,so full support resumed if we ever qualify again :lol:
Then full on Sunday Mail Ally's Tartan Army Club it is.