Stan and Ollie

Music, TV, movies, anything else media not Talksport related
colinthewarriormonkey

Stan and Ollie

Post by colinthewarriormonkey »

Wow, what an amazing film. Coogan and Reilly were so convincing that very early on in the film, I almost forgot I was watching them, it was like seeing the great pair in colour for the first time.

The only thing that spoiled it was at the end I .....errr....got something in my eye.

I definitely wasn't crying.

11/10
"The Cunt's Cunt."

"One desperate shithouse"

carcinogen

Re: Stan and Ollie

Post by carcinogen »

Seems a strange time to release this. If it's as good as you say it should have been released in the Autumn for OSCAR consideration. Coogan as a bloke seems like a right proper cunt, but as a performer he is great (apart from that horrible thing with that little welsh twat who does the cruise ship adverts). Love to see Steve as Alan Partridge receiving an OSCAR. haha, that would be funny as fuck.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

carcinogen wrote:Seems a strange time to release this. If it's as good as you say it should have been released in the Autumn for OSCAR consideration.

Came out earlier in the USA and has already had a best actor nomination for John C. Reilly at the Golden Globes.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

Lou Grant wrote:
carcinogen wrote:Seems a strange time to release this. If it's as good as you say it should have been released in the Autumn for OSCAR consideration.

Came out earlier in the USA and has already had a best actor nomination for John C. Reilly at the Golden Globes.

Carc said 'Oscar'.
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I had no idea Laurel and Hardy were doing a nostalgia act in the early 50s to crowds of one man and his dog. Brutal fall from grace.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Is there a reason why their shows aren't shown on mainstream tv any more ?
There's no poem, just prose.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:Is there a reason why their shows aren't shown on mainstream tv any more ?

Largely because of the demographic who watch TV, more youngsters watch it and not those of us in our forties, fifties and sixties who grew up watching it on BBC so sadly, trends have changed where their shows aren’t so much in demand.

Also, TV executives probably aren’t old enough to be aware of their shows either. The BBC and other news networks have the rights to their shows and have archived them, probably have to charge out at a premium to broadcast them as the thieving gits need to get more dough.

Petingo

Post by Petingo »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote:Is there a reason why their shows aren't shown on mainstream tv any more ?

The Marx Brothers as well.

I used to love watching them but it is years since I have seen one on mainstream TV.
Alex Young, Howard Kendall, Andy King, Timmy Cahill, Dixie Dean and Mike Parry.....we'll never see the likes of them again.

carcinogen

Post by carcinogen »

Lou Grant wrote:

Ah ok. So OSCAR consideration? As a paid-up member of the screen-writers guild my screener hasn't arrived.
“Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe.” ~ Lao Tzu.

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door". ~ RC, True Detective.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Been to Ulverston and seen the museum , Known an avid collector who spent a fortune on their films , regular conventions
for "Sons of the Desert" as they are known.

If Coogan and Reilly are so good , they should reprise their roles and recreate the many films that Stan and Ollie made
that were lost and destroyed due to their nitrate composition and poor storage.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Lou Grant

Post by Lou Grant »

carcinogen wrote:Ah ok. So OSCAR consideration? As a paid-up member of the screen-writers guild my screener hasn't arrived.

Pretty certain to be nominated for costume and make up. John C Reilly must have a chance given he was nominated in the Golden Globes.

Check with royal mail re. your copy of the film - they were sent out in December. :wink:

The film is a BBC production and they only got a US distribution signed in the autumn, so obviously limits Oscar chances against films that have had a longer run.
Come for the rampant misogyny, stay for the tedious bitching

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Cant wait for OSCARS only 89 more sleeps!
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

JudgeTedd

Post by JudgeTedd »

colinthewarriormonkey wrote:Wow, what an amazing film. Coogan and Reilly were so convincing that very early on in the film, I almost forgot I was watching them, it was like seeing the great pair in colour for the first time.

The only thing that spoiled it was at the end I .....errr....got something in my eye.

I definitely wasn't crying.

11/10

What’s putting me off seeing this film is John C Reilly. More over, his close association with the world’s least funniest man Will fucking Ferrell. But reading your review I think I’ve changed my mind and will give it a go.
It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand. ~ Brian Stimpson

POTY winner 2022

GROTY winner 2022

Bad Blue 2000

Post by Bad Blue 2000 »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:
If Coogan and Reilly are so good , they should reprise their roles and recreate the many films that Stan and Ollie made

How do they recreate something that no longer exists?
I HEAR YOU KNOCKIN', BUT YOU CAN'T COME IN...

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Bad Blue 2000 wrote:
AlcoholBrazil wrote:

How do they recreate something that no longer exists?

The scripts must have been written down or at least the storyline. Kevin McNally is doing similar with lost episdoes of Dad's Army and
Hancock's Half-Hour.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.