Q for Chrome Users

Technology support & advice, including avatar requests
m4rkb

Re: Q for Chrome Users

Post by m4rkb »

How come Laa isn't on the Talkforum crash emergency response team?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

LaaLaa wrote:
Zambo wrote:
LaaLaa wrote:
Zambo wrote:Cheers La, I do use adblock, and I have been running CCleaner immediately after shutting Chrome down. Tried again with a gap of a couple of minutes and it worked fine this time. Also no probs with Chrome since I started the thread, so fingers crossed.

Although adblock in general slows things a little because of how they work, I was referring specifically to the one called Adblock Plus which seems to just hang for longer than it should.

Ah, OK, haven't got that. What I do notice though, is when I access news on-line, it usually takes for an age to load a page with photos and ads even though I've got adblocker on.

Adblocker still has to sift through all those lines of code to see what it needs to block. The page likely loads quicker without adblocker, waiting is the price you pay to have the ads blocked.

You were dead right La, pages load much faster with ad blocker switched off. Was still having problems so reinstalled Chrome. So far so good.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Zambo wrote:Also no probs with Chrome since I started the thread, so fingers crossed.
The healing power of talkFORUM. You could use that as a marketing tool.
<insert Phillip Schofield joke here>
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

JimmyDee wrote:
Zambo wrote:Also no probs with Chrome since I started the thread, so fingers crossed.

Spoke too soon Jim, problem came back, but there was a PUP lurking. Got shot and all's now well.

Another question to all. What is the best browser for a PC? Whilst I was having problems with Chrome, I downloaded Firefox, and that looked a lot cooler than last time I used it.

mark
Forum Admin

Post by mark »

Zambo wrote:
JimmyDee wrote:

Spoke too soon Jim, problem came back, but there was a PUP lurking. Got shot and all's now well.

Another question to all. What is the best browser for a PC? Whilst I was having problems with Chrome, I downloaded Firefox, and that looked a lot cooler than last time I used it.

I use firefox as generally it handles most things that are thrown at it but it can also become memory intensive when multiple tabs are open, especially if you are browsing sites like local newspapers which are laden with heavy duty advert code which is always looking for something new to get past mal/adware protection.

If you have been a chrome user for a while then it may be worth looking at Opera which is built using the same base source code. I have it installed and am testing it a bit to see if it is worth switching or maybe just having as a standby for when firefox glitches.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Buy a new pc with support eg dell

Use latest windows

Use latest chrome

Stop installing crap

Stop visiting dodgy sites

Get educated

The end
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

It's black and white as most things are. Thanks ghost

LaaLaa
Jedi Master

Post by LaaLaa »

mark wrote:If you have been a chrome user for a while then it may be worth looking at Opera

Has Opera got good again? Approx 8-10-ish years ago I switched to Opera and it was far better than other browsers but over the next few years they failed to keep up with all the new things the internet had to throw at it. Also in updated versions they'd regularly break stuff (which was usually fixed in the next update but it was a pain.) Eventually it was failing to do so many things I quit it for Chrome. If it's got good again I might give it another go.
I really am a biatch

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Opera, Firefox and Linux have always been, and will always be for complete lunatics
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN