Currently Reading

Friendly chat, will be moderated if necessary.
SeanNW8

Re: Currently Reading

Post by SeanNW8 »

Reading 'I hear you paint houses' about an irishman who was closely linked to the mob and to Jimmy Hoffa.
Excellent read.
The film will come out on netflix later in the year with an unbelievably talented cast.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

First time I've been genuinely excited for a film release for many years.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk
Build Back More Betterer

Panbaams

Post by Panbaams »

Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury.
I used to be quite popular round here, you know.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Without Remorse by Tom Clancy, I've read it before. Still a good read.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Yes I've resorted to reading the Michael Connoly books again from the start because it's so hard to find good fiction now .
I'd find Tom Clancy hard for the same reason I don't read LeCarre anymore - it represents w very different world and battles which we ultimately lost.
'"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,
That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know".

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

Vespa wrote:Without Remorse by Tom Clancy, I've read it before. Still a good read.

Loved this one. Was great to get Clark's back story.
I might have done one - not sure but possible.

Panbaams

Post by Panbaams »

Just started Bill Bryson’s At Home.
I used to be quite popular round here, you know.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Panbaams wrote:Michael Wolff’s Fire and Fury.

Just read it too.

Had previously read Bob Woodward's Fear and think Wolfe's book was better but it was different.

Woodward's book went into far more detail about the intricacies of the policies and how all the people involved reacted.

Wolff's book was much more about the people and how they interacted - i some ways, a bit more tabloid.

But I wanted to try and get a feel for how Trump operates and Wolffe's book did that more than Woodward's.

On the basis of what Wolfe wrote, the fact that Trump is the most powerful man in the world is a scary proposition.

What I took out of the book was that Trump is;

- a narcissist

- shallow

- doesn't read

- is not interested in anything (other than himself and how he is perceived)

- did not think he could win the Presidency

- did not want to win the Presidency

- is nasty and critical of everyone including his family

- other than Ivanka, thinks his kids are stupid

- does not actually live, day to day with his wife (who he has called a trophy wife)

- does not understand politics, government, the US system, Congress, law making, lobbying or any policy area you could name, over and above the most superficial top line view of things

- is not interested in anyone else's point of view

- gets bored very quickly

- can be influenced by pictures but not the written word

- forgets things he has been discussing an hour before

- goes to bed just after 6pm every night, eats crap food, watches cable TV and calls various rich friends all night to bolster his views on everything

If we are to believe the above, it's quite simply amazing that such a man is in the role of President.

What did you think, Panbaams?

Suhari

Post by Suhari »

On the very last Discworld novel, having read all 41 of them back to back.

Shocking how poor the last 2 were, after Pratchett got ill, and had 'help' with writing. The last one is better.... still not a patch on his best, but definitely better than the last 2. He wrote some brilliant stuff.

I'm 80% through The Shepherd's Crown, according to my Kindle. Will be sad to finish it, knowing there are no more.
I might have done one - not sure but possible.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Royal24s wrote:Yes I've resorted to reading the Michael Connoly books again from the start because it's so hard to find good fiction now .
I'd find Tom Clancy hard for the same reason I don't read LeCarre anymore - it represents w very different world and battles which we ultimately lost.

Have enjoyed all the Bosch books very much, including the last 2 where MC has introduced the female detective, Rene, who does the night shift and sleeps on the beach with her dog on guard.

Lincoln Lawyer Haller books are okay but not a patch on Bosch.

Enjoyed the Robert Crais Elvis Cole and Joe Pike books although always thought the Elvis character was a bit too glib. But good reads, especially all the stuff about Joe.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

See, much as I love Bosh I think it's getting ridiculous now because he must be in his eighties or something.
I read the one with the bird who sleeps on the beach ( the night watch or something), and it was okay but I kept getting mixed up between her and his partner it the SFPD .

Actually I think he could get round the fact that Bosh is so old by writing more Haller books
( which he never really explored fully in my opinion) and including a younger Bosh in them.

They made a to series with Titus Welliver but I didn't like it.

tennisman

Post by tennisman »

Royal24s wrote:See, much as I love Bosh I think it's getting ridiculous now because he must be in his eighties or something.
I read the one with the bird who sleeps on the beach ( the night watch or something), and it was okay but I kept getting mixed up between her and his partner it the SFPD .

Actually I think he could get round the fact that Bosh is so old by writing more Haller books
( which he never really explored fully in my opinion) and including a younger Bosh in them.

They made a to series with Titus Welliver but I didn't like it.

Interesting about Harry's age. Never even crossed my mind. I have him fixed permanently at about 58, I think!

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

I don't think Connolly expected the character to be so successful or he'd have catered for that. He could also have gone the way which your comment suggests and never mentioned his age - we'd have been happy not to notice he'd been round for a long time of he hadn't done the big VN tunnel rat thing and kept mentioning his upcoming retirement.

Interestingly , in the Titus Welliver TV series they have him as an Iraq vet to cover the fact that he's only thirty something.

Have you noticed that the whole thing is just an updated version of Raymond Chandler .

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman

If you ever want to learn something the Feynman Technique is very handy.

Royal24s

Post by Royal24s »

Vespa wrote:Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman

If you ever want to learn something the Feynman Technique is very handy.

Very interesting character. You should start a thread elsewhere on the board to discuss his ideas because this isn't the place to argue, but I do thank you for drawing my attention to this man and his theories.