Left-wing/right-wing bollocks

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Vespa

Re: Left-wing/right-wing bollocks

Post by Vespa »

Jon Gout wrote:Five hours of broken sleep sounds extremely normal and healthy :lol:

Got a touch of apnoea?

Maybe he's out for an early morning run with Paul Nuttall?

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Vespa wrote:
Jon Gout wrote:Five hours of broken sleep sounds extremely normal and healthy :lol:

Got a touch of apnoea?

Maybe he's out for an early morning run with Paul Nuttall?

The tag team up late with some more goading. I was fast asleep by then, and woke up a good solid 8.5 hours later :D

You keep believing what you are spoon fed. The internet is full of examples of what experts got wrong and changed their minds on, from Einstein saying that nuclear energy will never be obtainable to televisions won't last. :rolleyes:

No icebergs in the Solent this morning either. :D
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Is 22:38 on a Saturday night late? :lol:

Those are predictions of the future, one of which was cultural. Is that the same as pointing out the existing, observable links between one thing and another? I don't think so. You even said so yourself when you said "Your immune system will suffer, and you will be more likely to develop viruses, infections and other illnesses" :rolleyes: Get "spoon fed" that claim from somewhere?

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Zambo wrote:No icebergs in the Solent this morning either. :D

No KristallNacht or dark-skinned people being deported after the Brexit Vote either.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Just a massive increase in people telling them they should be in public places.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jon Gout wrote:Is 22:38 on a Saturday night late? :lol:

Those are predictions of the future, one of which was cultural. Is that the same as pointing out the existing, observable links between one thing and another? I don't think so. You even said so yourself when you said "Your immune system will suffer, and you will be more likely to develop viruses, infections and other illnesses" :rolleyes: Get "spoon fed" that claim from somewhere?

The bottom line is that humans are not a race of robots. What is necessay for one person isn't necessary for another. Thatcher lived until she was nearly 90, and survived on around three hours sleep per night for a lot of her adult life. You would have thought that by now, that people wouldn't keep getting sucked by this shit, and just accept what life brings them.

Saying that if you don't get at least 7 hours sleep every night you might have a stroke and cancer is irresponsible in the extereme.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

Pointing out one example is like saying "Smoking can't be bad for you, my granddad smoked 40 a day and lived until he was 100."

Probably not the best example though - Thatcher spent the last 15 years of her life with dementia and suffered a number of strokes (which, ironically, are linked to lack of sleep), one of which eventually killed her. Perhaps her retirement would have been a lot healthier if she'd taken better care of herself while working :lol:

Nobody is getting sucked in, it's just that people like you get pointlessly angry whenever the public is informed about something to do with health. It's about risk, isn't it - it would be irresponsible not to tell people they risk increasing their chances of certain things if they don't keep an eye on something. I'm not sucked into anything - I go to sleep when I'm tired and most days wake up a bit before the alarm goes off. I'm not planning my life around health guidelines. That doesn't mean I'll insist that links between lack and sleep and poor health are made up.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Jon Gout wrote:Pointing out one example is like saying "Smoking can't be bad for you, my granddad smoked 40 a day and lived until he was 100."

Probably not the best example though - Thatcher spent the last 15 years of her life with dementia and suffered a number of strokes (which, ironically, are linked to lack of sleep), one of which eventually killed her. Perhaps her retirement would have been a lot healthier if she'd taken better care of herself while working :lol:

Nobody is getting sucked in, it's just that people like you get pointlessly angry whenever the public is informed about something to do with health. It's about risk, isn't it - it would be irresponsible not to tell people they risk increasing their chances of certain things if they don't keep an eye on something. I'm not sucked into anything - I go to sleep when I'm tired and most days wake up a bit before the alarm goes off. I'm not planning my life around health guidelines. That doesn't mean I'll insist that links between lack and sleep and poor health are made up.

The 'nanny state' is a tool of lobbyists to resist any government measure that is detrimental to their commercial interests.

Remove cheap toxic chemicals from products; nanny state.
Speed limits; nanny state.
Keep children in school or training until 18; nanny state
Less salt, sugar, fat and other processed shit in the food; nanny state
Shorter working week; nanny state
Seatbelts; nanny state
Ban smoking; nanny state
MMR; nanny state

Its success can be measured by the multitude of anti-science sheeple that become ham coloured the moment the government suggest reducing anything that may stop a commercial interest exploiting people.

It's impressive really.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

It's down to commonsens, but the problem is, you have the sheeple who believe everything they get told masquerading under the name of science.

Of course sleep is important, vital, to support a healthy life. We have an ever increasing numbers of people who suffer from insomnia, who lie awake night after night for hours, which results in anxiety and depression, who are on medication to try and help. The last thing they need to be told, is that they need at least seven hours sleep, otherwise they are going to be struck down with a serious illness.

Many of these people would give a limb to get seven hours sleep, so telling them to get it, just adds to their anxiety. The problem is of course, is those who give out this info like Matt Hancock, and those who agree with them, think they know everything, but in fact know nothing of what these people are going through, but still pontificate thinking they arer the font of all knowledge.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

It's not really about those who suffer from insomnia though, is it? I don't know why you keep focussing on them. It's more about those who might watch Netflix until 11:30pm then piss around on their phones for half an hour, then set the alarm for when they need to be up to get ready for work at 6am. They might feel like they're coping just fine because they've had a cup of coffee or two in the morning, but that doesn't mean they aren't causing themselves damage with the way they'e trying to balance their lives.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Shorter working week? They achieved that alright.......What could be fucking shorter than zero-hour fucking contracts . Thanks for that.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Jon Gout wrote:It's not really about those who suffer from insomnia though, is it? I don't know why you keep focussing on them. It's more about those who might watch Netflix until 11:30pm then piss around on their phones for half an hour, then set the alarm for when they need to be up to get ready for work at 6am. They might feel like they're coping just fine because they've had a cup of coffee or two in the morning, but that doesn't mean they aren't causing themselves damage with the way they'e trying to balance their lives.

It is about changing the environment we exist in. When the sugar tax came out we were told it was 'the nanny state' by the sugar lobby and the sheep who dine out on the 'nanny state' meme - but what happened was that sugar content in food went down.

When the government started pursuing equality for people with mental health issues we had another version of the 'nanny state' meme by forces that would rather the labour force would soldier on. What's happened? Mental health support is now becoming widespread in schools, the community and the workplace.

Now the government are highlighting the link between poor health and lack of quality sleep which is supported by a preponderance of the evidence, once again we get the 'nanny state' guff rolled out. Because it'll eventually influence employers to consider rest and sleep in their employment practices.

All these examples have a leitmotif in their drumbeat of attacking the science that supported the advice - without ever daring to talk about the science that was the basis of the advice.

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Jon Gout wrote:It's not really about those who suffer from insomnia though, is it? I don't know why you keep focussing on them. It's more about those who might watch Netflix until 11:30pm then piss around on their phones for half an hour, then set the alarm for when they need to be up to get ready for work at 6am. They might feel like they're coping just fine because they've had a cup of coffee or two in the morning, but that doesn't mean they aren't causing themselves damage with the way they'e trying to balance their lives.

I'm focusing on those who don't get enough sleep through no fault of their own, because they will be the ones who be most affecing by this ill thought out release. The type of people you mention will be like many of those who smoke and get informed about how it damages their health, they won't give a monkeys.

Meanwhile it's a kick in the teeth for the insomniacs who can't get 7 hours.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

That's like saying people shouldn't be warned about the dangers of alcohol because alcoholics can't do anything with that advice. I.e. absolute bollocks.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

Jon Gout wrote:That's like saying people shouldn't be warned about the dangers of alcohol because alcoholics can't do anything with that advice. I.e. absolute bollocks.