Live Aid: The Terrible Truth

In-depth debate on all topical issues
shabbado

Post by shabbado »

Perhaps a rather sensational title but the article itself makes for some very sobering reading.

https://www.spin.com/featured/live-aid- ... f-feature/

'Most damningly, Keating reported that Geldof was warned, repeatedly, from the outset by several relief agencies in the field about Mengistu, who was dismantling tribes, mercilessly conducting resettlement marches on which 100,000 people died, and butchering helpless people. According to Medicins Sans Frontiers, who begged Geldof to not release the money until there was a reliable infrastructure to get it to victims, he simply ignored them, instead famously saying: “I’ll shake hands with the Devil on my left and on my right to get to the people we are meant to help.”'

Saint Bob indeed.
A joyless arsehole.

theleader82

Re: Live Aid: The Terrible Truth

Post by theleader82 »

African nations have received international aid for years. I always found things like live aid and do they know it’s xmas a bit patronising . The lyrics to that song are cringey
Man U and rangers

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

But every penny was worth it for the warm and fuzzy feeling of becoming a modern-day SAINT !
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

theleader82 wrote:African nations have received international aid for years. I always found things like live aid and do they know it’s xmas a bit patronising . The lyrics to that song are cringey

If it creates money to provide infrastructure like giving clean water and improving sanitation, not sure that first world problems like the lyrics to the songs that raise money really matters that much.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Now, I may be getting mixed up with something else, but I seem to remember my husband telling me about a shipload of goods being insured through the Corp[oration he worked for, on looking at the manifest it became clear that instead of food aid the shipment consisted of Whisky from Scotland, it later became know in the press that the president had ordered this vast amount of whisky as part of his celebrations for some anniversary of his becoming president, this was about the time Saint Bob was telling us to 'give us yer fucking money' to feed the starving of Ethiopia.

It has been known for decades that aid funds, wherever they come from, I remember a news item about a school in India paid for by some of the huge amount the UK sends out in foreign aid, there is no school, just a shell of a building, no windows, no toilets, no running water or leccy let alone books, when a local bod was asked where all the money went there was just one word,'bribes', seems that no one factored in that you have to bribe everyone to get anything done, even the driver who delivers the cement, so why don't they send some bod from the foreign aid budget to supervise the building works and make sure the work is carried , or is that that too much to ask for?
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Ralph
Forum Admin

Post by Ralph »

Write off third world debt....

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/201 ... x-affairs/

...with other people’s money.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

birdie wrote:Now, I may be getting mixed up with something else, but I seem to remember my husband telling me about a shipload of goods being insured through the Corp[oration he worked for, on looking at the manifest it became clear that instead of food aid the shipment consisted of Whisky from Scotland, it later became know in the press that the president had ordered this vast amount of whisky as part of his celebrations for some anniversary of his becoming president, this was about the time Saint Bob was telling us to 'give us yer fucking money' to feed the starving of Ethiopia.

It has been known for decades that aid funds, wherever they come from, I remember a news item about a school in India paid for by some of the huge amount the UK sends out in foreign aid, there is no school, just a shell of a building, no windows, no toilets, no running water or leccy let alone books, when a local bod was asked where all the money went there was just one word,'bribes', seems that no one factored in that you have to bribe everyone to get anything done, even the driver who delivers the cement, so why don't they send some bod from the foreign aid budget to supervise the building works and make sure the work is carried , or is that that too much to ask for?

One of the issues is that much of the aid is delivered into countries with civil wars or corrupt regimes. The judgement has to be made if a little help is better than no help.

When it comes to saving lives I'll side with a little help.

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

Ralph wrote:Write off third world debt....

A bit like asking the bank who I have a mortgage with, to pay off my mortgage for me.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Ralph wrote:Write off third world debt....

I seem to recall the same a good few years back, but it didn't happen because most people thought it would just encourage those countries to ramp up huge debts again in the expectation of those debts being wiped off again and it woldn't encourage them to try to live within their means. Now, where have I hear that before.?

birdie

Post by birdie »

Vespa wrote:
birdie wrote:Now, I may be getting mixed up with something else, but I seem to remember my husband telling me about a shipload of goods being insured through the Corp[oration he worked for, on looking at the manifest it became clear that instead of food aid the shipment consisted of Whisky from Scotland, it later became know in the press that the president had ordered this vast amount of whisky as part of his celebrations for some anniversary of his becoming president, this was about the time Saint Bob was telling us to 'give us yer fucking money' to feed the starving of Ethiopia.

One of the issues is that much of the aid is delivered into countries with civil wars or corrupt regimes. The judgement has to be made if a little help is better than no help.

The issue of humanitarian aid to conflict zones is just a little different from funding schools and other projects where no conflict exists only to find that the money has been siphoned off, I see no problem with giving the funds to build a school, but send someone there to make sure the bloody thing IS being built.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

birdie wrote:
Vespa wrote:

The issue of humanitarian aid to conflict zones is just a little different from funding schools and other projects where no conflict exists only to find that the money has been siphoned off, I see no problem with giving the funds to build a school, but send someone there to make sure the bloody thing IS being built.

That article is 30 years old, I'd hope things have changed a little since then.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Vespa wrote:
birdie wrote:
Vespa wrote:

That article may be 30 years old but the news item about the school in India certainly wasn't more that 5 years ago, so no, I don't think thing have changed that much.