TimesRadio AND TalkRadio

The place to discuss TalkRADIO
Erskine Might

TimesRadio AND TalkRadio

Post by Erskine Might »

News UK confirms the launch of Times Radio

By Roy Martin January 28, 2020 - 12:13 pm

The Times, The Sunday Times and Wireless have confirmed the launch of Times Radio will take place later this year.

The station will broadcast nationally on DAB and online, and will be in addition to talkRADIO rather than in place of it.

Times Radio will be ad break free, with commercial opportunities for sponsors across the schedule. It will provide a daily schedule of news, analysis and commentary with former 5 Live producer Tim Levell as Programme Director.

News UK Chief Executive Rebekah Brooks said: “We acquired Wireless in 2016 with a clear ambition to bring their audio expertise to our newsbrands. The Times and The Sunday Times deliver world-class journalism to a substantial and highly engaged audience and Times Radio will create a new speech radio outlet to reach an even broader audience who want quality reporting and trusted, expert commentary in real time.”

Editor of The Times, John Witherow, said: “Times Radio will provide provocative, well-informed, entertaining and useful discussion covering the key stories of the day, and informing the national conversation. Times Radio, infused with our world-class journalism, will be the perfect complement to our print and online offer.”

As Programme Director, Tim Levell will work with Times Radio Launch Director, Stig Abell, and a team from across The Times, The Sunday Times and Wireless, including Wireless Director of Strategy Jimmy Buckland and Wireless National Speech Radio Controller Liam Fisher to create the schedule, manage the presenters and production staff and format the station.

Wireless CEO Scott Taunton said: “Since Wireless joined the News UK family, we have been working more and more collaboratively with The Times, lending our radio and podcasting expertise to develop an audio strategy for one of the world’s pre-eminent newsbrands. Last week we announced the launch of a new podcast series – Stories of Our Times – and I’m delighted that with Times Radio we will be investing in a major, high quality new voice for news and current affairs on digital radio, online, on app and smart speakers.”

It was reported that Times Radio would replace talkRADIO, but this is not the case.

Scott Taunton added: “talkRADIO has been driving record growth and will continue to deliver its fearless and entertaining mix of opinion-led news and debate. From Aria-nominated Breakfast Show host Julia Hartley-Brewer on, the station has a loyal and highly engaged following and we will continue to innovate, creating a stronger visualisation of the national digital radio shows.”

More information about Times Radio will be released in coming weeks

Sounds bonkers to me. In The Times this morning they were trying to hype it as 'a rival to Radio 4'. Well, good luck with that. And launching it alongside the existing TalkRadio - unless that's just a preliminary to one absorbing the other, it sounds equally nuts. As TalkRadio has shown, there aren't a surplus of good news/talk broadcasters out there, so spreading the talent even thinner is just barmy.

There's also a problem for journalists. At a time when most of them should be left to improve at what their primary role is - print journalism - they're being encouraged to take on second jobs in these new ventures. That really isn't a smart idea professionally even if it seems it commercially, because most of these hacks are really not doing a good enough job at their day job! The last thing they need is a distraction.

Holden Mcgroyne

Re: TimesRadio AND TalkRadio

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

First big signing, a real heavyweight on all levels is Jon Pienaar who's going to be doing the drive show.
There's no poem, just prose.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

highly engaged following and we will continue to innovate, creating a stronger visualisation of the national digital radio shows

Why are TimesRadio and talkRADIO competing with the YouTube generation and online magazines such as Quillette? The YouTube podcasts and live streaming format isn't working for them; they recently disabled live chats and comments sections. So much for the slogans 'no-nonsense radio' and 'independent republic'.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Erskine Might wrote:At a time when most of them should be left to improve at what their primary role is - print journalism - they're being encouraged to take on second jobs in these new ventures. That really isn't a smart idea professionally even if it seems it commercially, because most of these hacks are really not doing a good enough job at their day job! The last thing they need is a distraction.

+1. Money for nothin' and chicks [clicks] for free.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

No ad breaks sounds good, I love radio four be great if there was an alternative in the same format.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Vespa wrote:No ad breaks sounds good, I love radio four be great if there was an alternative in the same format.

I used to listen to Radio 4 all the time. Sailing by. :heart:
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

AlcoholBrazil

Post by AlcoholBrazil »

If they give a whiff of political bias, left or right, they won't last.
6uild 6ack 6etter .
You will own nothing and be happy.

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:If they give a whiff of political bias, left or right, they won't last.

+1.
( ◡‿◡ )
You're not alone
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

shivah

Post by shivah »

AlcoholBrazil wrote:If they give a whiff of political bias, left or right, they won't last.

Wot like Fat Ferrari Iain Dale Tom Soreprick etc?
Grunt is a Chunt.

Carlos J
Forum Admin

Post by Carlos J »

TS presenters calling Times Radio a sister station. What about poor talkRADIO? The ginger stepson now?
Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline.

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

shivah

Post by shivah »

Carlos J wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:55 am TS presenters calling Times Radio a sister station. What about poor talkRADIO? The ginger stepson now?
I think TR will be dumped within 6 months to a year.

Moving it to DAB+ is the death knell.
Grunt is a Chunt.

Holden Mcgroyne

Heard some of Pienaar on drive today. An elongated version of the show he had on sunday mornings on 5live. A bit dry, but a refreshing change to hear proper interviews with no attempt at a gotcha moment.

Won't listen to it all everyday, but it's more than a decent alternative to the narcissistic cunt Livesey on 5live and Red Eddie on LBC.

Mark Pougatch back on the airwaves doing sport at 9.30pm

antdad

Post by antdad »

Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 pm Heard some of Pienaar on drive today. An elongated version of the show he had on sunday mornings on 5live. A bit dry, but a refreshing change to hear proper interviews with no attempt at a gotcha moment.

Won't listen to it all everyday, but it's more than a decent alternative to the narcissistic cunt Livesey on 5live and Red Eddie on LBC.
Sounds like a listen from me as I used to enjoy his Sunday politics show on R5. What does that mean..."commercial opportunities for sponsors across the schedule", product placement?

Piennar using a decongestant live on air and mentioning how effective it is?

Holden Mcgroyne

antdad wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 am
Holden Mcgroyne wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 pm Heard some of Pienaar on drive today. An elongated version of the show he had on sunday mornings on 5live. A bit dry, but a refreshing change to hear proper interviews with no attempt at a gotcha moment.

Sounds like a listen from me as I used to enjoy his Sunday politics show on R5. What does that mean..."commercial opportunities for sponsors across the schedule", product placement?

Piennar using a decongestant live on air and mentioning how effective it is?
There's no adverts,just the odd push to subscribe to the Times and best of all no phone ins that allows the gobshite public to spout inarticulate drivel.

Suspect it will be 'the book review section sponsored by......'

Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Post by Steve Hunt »

I'm eather enjoying Times Radio.

For a fledgling station still learning the ropes, it's a pretty good listen. Pienaar's show is very good.

I'd given up on LBC (Woke Radio) anyway. This station is already far superior.