The Times mate.
Fordey 3:16

POTY 2020 Elect

Gang Leader
This is my yard

The End

Re: Matt Forde

Post by The End »

fattmaude wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm The Times mate.
I'm not sifting through that pile of cut-and-paste wank to search out a so-so review of a tedious cunt.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

The End wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:42 pm
I'm not sifting through that pile of cut-and-paste wank to search out a so-so review of a tedious cunt.
Four stars out of five stars isn't so-so mate.

It's very good.

POTY 2020 Elect

Gang Leader
This is my yard

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

Maybe just post the link next time.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

delboy1983

Post by delboy1983 »

I know a couple who were there and they were adamant he was shite and walked out all before the end.
They thought most of the audience felt the same eway.Funny that.He wasn't !
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

The End

Post by The End »

fattmaude wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 pm

It's very good.
One 'very good' review isn't 'rave reviews' either. Got anymore evidence from other established comedy review sources like 'The Times'?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

I think we can all agree that Matt Forde is the funniest man alive right now.
Build Back More Betterer

ccreds

Post by ccreds »

delboy1983 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:30 pm I know a couple who were there and they were adamant he was shite and walked out all before the end.
They thought most of the audience felt the same eway.Funny that.He wasn't !
That's not true, he's a hit up there in Scotland I'll tell ya :mrgreen:

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

The End wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:37 pm
fattmaude wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:01 pm

It's very good.
One 'very good' review isn't 'rave reviews' either. Got anymore evidence from other established comedy review sources like 'The Times'?

Search for:
Search
Browse reviews
Menu
Home
Our Ratings Explained
Edinburgh Fringe
Views
Advertise on FringeReview – Our Unique Offer
Performer Resources
Apply to be a Reviewer for FringeReview
Apply to be Reviewed
Venue Briefing
FringeReview Support
About Fringe Review

Edinburgh Fringe 2019
Matt Forde: Brexit, pursued by a bear
Matt Forde

Genre: Comedy, Political, Satire, Stand-Up

Venue: Pleasance

Festival: Edinburgh Fringe

Low Down
Britain’s leading political comedian once again promises his last show as an EU Citizen (maybe). This is a brutally funny savaging of Brexit and the inadequacies of the politicians that have bought about the mess the country is in.

Review
The blurb for Matt Forde described last year’s show as ‘possibly the best political show on the Fringe’. That is a great accolade to win two years running.

Here we have a savage swipe at the state of the nation, responsibility for which he lays firmly at the door of our politicians. Matt is relentless, in highlighting their inadequacies. As a performer, informer, satirist and commentator this show is par excellence.

He is a brilliant mimic, impressions of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Gordon Brown, Jeremy Corbyn and even Vince Cable are spot on. Not just for tone of voice and mannerisms but for content. The voices he puts on sound like things they would say. This is in part due to his quoting their own words against them, albeit with some embellishment, it strengthens the force of the satire.

The material itself is littered with facts and figures, and not always the ones you would expect. Matt then rolls this data into savage satirical analysis dripping with cutting humour. He points out that the modern politician doesn’t care about facts, figures or objective analysis. They have no morals, no shame and little integrity. Hardly a spoiler. They discard their previously stated positions like sweet wrappers, and care not when they are quoted back to them. These juxtapositions are brilliantly highlighted and provide fertile ground for his cutting wit.

Facts, figures, events and the impact of Brexit are explained by using analogies. They are well thought out, evocative and appropriate. There is always a danger of using the same comedic device repeatedly, unless it works, as it does in this case.

He uses actual examples to demonstrate that their actions have a very serious impact on those living in the real world. Reflecting how modern politicians get away with this was bought home, when you realised you did know of the events he was speaking about but had discarded them from your mind.

This is not a showcase for Matt’s ability to mimic and imitate the great and the good, it is foremost a comedy show. Humour is at the heart of every element. The audience roll with laughter, the gags are proper gags. Nothing is forced to fit the narrative of the set.

Matt also walks a political tightrope. Apart from almost universal disgust at the state of world politics, his attacks cross party lines. He swipes left, right and centre. The exception appears to be Brexit, his frustration with it seems all to clear, even if it does provide him with such comic fodder.

It would be easy for any audience member to accuse Matt of political bias, each side seeing it from their perspective. In this case this Edinburgh seemed on board with it.

Speaking to several audience members after the show, this was not their first visit to a Matt Forde show, and it is easy to see why they came back. This show is highly recommended, whether you have an interest in politics or not.

Published August 13, 2019 by Joe Angella

Show Website
http://mattforde.com/

© 2018 Fringe Review
All Rights reserved

Links

Home
About Fringe Review
FringeReview Support
Reviews Policy
Contact Us
Login
Help us to keep FringeReview free.

Make a donation to show you value what we do.

PayPal — The safer, easier way to pay online.

POTY 2020 Elect

Gang Leader
This is my yard

fattmaude

Post by fattmaude »

'He is a brilliant mimic, impressions of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Gordon Brown, Jeremy Corbyn and even Vince Cable are spot on'

Love that.

POTY 2020 Elect

Gang Leader
This is my yard

subsub

Post by subsub »

fattmaude wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:07 pm 'He is a brilliant mimic, impressions of Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Nigel Farage, Gordon Brown, Jeremy Corbyn and even Vince Cable are spot on'

Love that.
You know you've got your finger on the pulse when you can do a Vince Cable impression…
WOKE AND PROUD

The End

Post by The End »

His cock stinks.

Basualdo
Winner - POTY 2011!!!!

Post by Basualdo »

For the last time. Please, cut and paste the articles properly or just post links.

I can understand the superfluous text in the heart of the article, that's annoying but understandable but please, please cut the shite from the start and end of the paste. Thanks.
Proud Gammon

RIP Neil Peart 1952-2020.

JimmyDee

Post by JimmyDee »

Basualdo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:00 pmFor the last time. Please, cut and paste the articles properly or just post links.
He won't, of course, because he thinks it's funny. He thinks Matt Forde is funny.
"You don't have a world-view by just saying you hate Trump" - Norm Macdonald

"It seems as if every time I turn the station on at the moment this fucking mouth breather is polluting the airwaves with untrammeled bollocks." - MGA99

Eaststand

Post by Eaststand »

Youve gotta give it to him, Maude is a fantastic troll, I love him. He winds people up so easily.
Build Back More Betterer