Iain Lee

The place to discuss TalkRADIO
Jon Gout

Re: Iain Lee

Post by Jon Gout »

Predictably Iain is now not doing his Patreon. Is there anything he promises and then sticks to?

£10 a month did seem incredibly expensive for a 20-30 minute podcast. I think he only managed two of them. Remember in January when they were going to overhaul the Rabbit Hole podcasts and do one a week? That only lasted three weeks.

Rowntree

Post by Rowntree »

He's now claiming to be going back to Twitch and doing three hours a night, five nights a week. That'll last a fortnight, if it even gets off the ground. How's he going to make any money like that?

(I'll confess, I've no idea what Twitch is)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 250 character limit.

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

If successful he could make plenty of money. People pay a minimum of £5 a month (which can get you benefits such as not having adverts pop up while you're watching) and if you've got Amazon Prime you get a free subscription to someone with that, so people could subscribe without it actually costing them anything and he'd still get a bit of money from it. People also donate a few pounds here and there to say thank youor to get a message read out. Some of the popular people on Twitch also do competitions and take a small donation for an entry fee, plus you can advertise companies on there and get paid for it. His audience size means he could probably make a living doing that no problem, however his Twitch output has always been inconsistent in terms of quality and frequency. His 11 O'Clock Show commentaries were fantastic, but like everything else he does, he stopped when he quickly got bored of it. I imagine doing a couple of months of TalkRadio from home means he's comfortable broadcasting that way, but yes, I can't imagine him basically working with only himself to answer to will last too long.

dingdongthewitchisdead

Post by dingdongthewitchisdead »

he's the modern day gaunt :) coming from the other side .
i never listen now .

MrTea

Post by MrTea »

Madness, even as a pampered minor celebrity getting paid good money for working a few hours a day, all he did was moan.

Hasn't he been saying he wants to train for a "real" job?

No chance.

If he can't hack a few hours streaming, he won't be grafting anytime soon.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

He had many gripes sadly. Never seemed happy with anything.
"talkFORUM royalty" - thursty.
"Talkforum's Alan Whicker! " - kevin04.
"Cunt" - sjbarca

lambrini

Post by lambrini »

Rowntree wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:14 am He's now claiming to be going back to Twitch and doing three hours a night, five nights a week. That'll last a fortnight, if it even gets off the ground. How's he going to make any money like that?

(I'll confess, I've no idea what Twitch is)
Twitch is a live-streaming service.
( ◡‿◡ )
POTY 2023 & 2022 finalist
You're not alone
I'll wait 'til the end of time
Open your mind
Surely it's plain to see

Lord Notin Kwestion

Post by Lord Notin Kwestion »

Useless fucking nutjob with some sort of disorder that does not make for good radio.
Imagine a vaccine so safe you have to blackmailed into taking it, for a virus so deadly you have to be tested to know if you have it.

IMAKEYOURIGHT

Post by IMAKEYOURIGHT »

Only seen/ heard a few of his new Twitch Streams/ podcasts. Seems to be pretty run of the mill stuff so far, with the added interference that you can see him spending more time looking at/ responding to what happens in the chat room than he does engaging with the Skype callers. If he wanted to go down that route, he'd probably be better off adopting more of a Steve Allen format with the occasional interview.

I'm sorry to say that Kath adds absolutely nothing.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

I joined his twitch was banned from chat, the channel mods seem more sensitive than a freshly wanked cock.

HalfwitHerbie

Post by HalfwitHerbie »

IMAKEYOURIGHT wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 pm Only seen/ heard a few of his new Twitch Streams/ podcasts. Seems to be pretty run of the mill stuff so far, with the added interference that you can see him spending more time looking at/ responding to what happens in the chat room than he does engaging with the Skype callers. If he wanted to go down that route, he'd probably be better off adopting more of a Steve Allen format with the occasional interview.

Agreed on Kath.

Caught part of a show last week and she was telling, for what seemed like infinity, some mildly amusing anecdote about a Twitter scammer she was stringing along. Even Iain was clearly bored when she still hadn’t come to a punchline after five minutes of it.

There’s a reason she’s never been a presenter.

Iain, you don’t owe her a living pal.
"Hey Depressed Boy. You want a shitfest, you've got one". Jon Gaunt to depression sufferer Iain Lee, e-mail 2016.

“He’s done the right thing”. Gaunt on Donald Trump’s gassing of refugees, November 2018: https://chirb.it/qJ3e7O

Jon Gout

Post by Jon Gout »

I quite like Katherine, but I understand why people feel she's unnecessary. It does feel like Iain is trying to look after her and it doesn't feel like they're equal parts now any more than it did before (even though that seems to be the aim). I find her funnier than Iain and much prefer listening to her than I do him.

What's annoying is that Iain has been fixated on viewing figures since the first show, culminating in an argument with Katherine last week when he said he's now unsure about both doing the Twitch shows and retraining as a counsellor. Surprise surprise. He always gets sick of anything new he starts very shortly after he starts it. They're still getting around 1000 viewers most nights, which for a Twitch show that is only two weeks old is incredible really. Most would take months or a year to see those kinds of figures. If he just concentrated on putting on a show instead of spending most the three hours analysing it then maybe the numbers would increase. Any casual viewer who was initially intrigued by the "chat show" label, then clicked on to see people spending thirty minutes whinging about the numbers not being high enough, would just switch over to something else. Just put on a good show and the viewers will come!

He probably needs to lay off the stuff he steals from Limmy too. He'd already started to incorporate some stuff into the radio show over the last year, but now he's doing the close ups, catchphrases and even doing commentaries of old game shows. It feels like a poor tribute act at times. He's got the skills to make something original and good though, and with the visual aspect and audience interaction of Twitch he could do all kinds of fun and games. Some of the interviews were good: Mortimer, Puckrik and Hound. Don't care about that boring Steven Page or those boring podcast hosts, but that's just me.

I'd hoped for a full podcast to be made available instead of a short highlights one. It's a pain in the anus to wait a few days and then look for the video on YouTube to listen to the whole thing. I can't really see this lasting anyway.

MrTea

Post by MrTea »

HalfwitHerbie wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:22 pm
IMAKEYOURIGHT wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 pm Only seen/ heard a few of his new Twitch Streams/ podcasts. Seems to be pretty run of the mill stuff so far, with the added interference that you can see him spending more time looking at/ responding to what happens in the chat room than he does engaging with the Skype callers. If he wanted to go down that route, he'd probably be better off adopting more of a Steve Allen format with the occasional interview.

Agreed on Kath.

Caught part of a show last week and she was telling, for what seemed like infinity, some mildly amusing anecdote about a Twitter scammer she was stringing along. Even Iain was clearly bored when she still hadn’t come to a punchline after five minutes of it.

There’s a reason she’s never been a presenter.

Iain, you don’t owe her a living pal.
Bang on the money.

She's not a presenter, she's Ian's mate who he seems pretty infatuated with - the professional relationship doesn't further his career at all, quite the opposite in fact. She just hasn't got "it" when it comes to presenting.

I haven't seen the Twitch shows, but decided not to watch when I heard she'd be there again.

MrTea

Post by MrTea »

Vespa wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:01 pm I joined his twitch was banned from chat, the channel mods seem more sensitive than a freshly wanked cock.
Same as him, then.

Everyone can have an opinion as long as it's exactly the same as Iain's.

Why do you think he likes Kath so much.

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

MrTea wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:57 am
Vespa wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:01 pm I joined his twitch was banned from chat, the channel mods seem more sensitive than a freshly wanked cock.
Same as him, then.

Everyone can have an opinion as long as it's exactly the same as Iain's.

Why do you think he likes Kath so much.
I like him, but I'm not going to subscribe to a streamer that bans you from chat.