Overrated football managers

Anything sportlike
kancutlawns

Overrated football managers

Post by kancutlawns »

Martin O’Neil

Seemed to have a reputation in the media as a cultured, cerebral football tactician. Appeared to be emotionally detached and a bit of an intellect but was highly regarded. The reality was as a supporter of one of his clubs, he completely overloaded mine with players who were on very high wages, played eleven players into the ground who got burnt out in March and the form fell away then walked out on the eve of the new season. Martin O’Neil is (to borrow the words of a familiar ex-forumster) a fraud. John Robertson was the brains behind the act. MON was overrated. When Robertson left, he was exposed for the mediocrity he is. Where is he now?

shabbado

Re: Overrated football managers

Post by shabbado »

He took you to three consecutive 6th place finishes.

The highest you finished in the Premier League since he left is 9th. You also had 3 seasons in the Championship.

But yeah he was overrated :roll:
A joyless arsehole.

JW90

Post by JW90 »

I love the bloke, did an amazing job at my club with limited resources compared to other teams around us. Probably not top level but certainly an excellent Premier League and League Cup manager (four finals, two victories). Got Celtic to a European final too.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

JW90 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:33 am I love the bloke, did an amazing job at my club with limited resources compared to other teams around us. Probably not top level but certainly an excellent Premier League and League Cup manager (four finals, two victories). Got Celtic to a European final too.
He was a very competent manager who's style served him and his teams well for a period.

Modern day equivalent would be Brendan Rodgers.
A joyless arsehole.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

shabbado wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:06 am He took you to three consecutive 6th place finishes.

The highest you finished in the Premier League since he left is 9th. You also had 3 seasons in the Championship.

But yeah he was overrated :roll:
You have to look at the overall context. Doug finally sold the club in 2006, Lerner came in washed with dough. It was a new dawn for the club, no FFP at the time, O’Neil’s stock was high, he made some very astute signings like Carew, Downing, Young and had the likes of Milner and Barry which he sold.

He pissed astronomical amounts of money away. £8.5 million on Nigel Reo Coker, around £10 million on Curtis Davies, £5 million on Steve Sidwell and who bought Nicky Shorey for £4 million. Lerner was partly to blame for giving so much money to a manager who was incapable of spending within his means and he did blame the owner for curbing the expense. That and getting Heskey and Harewood for a combined fee of £7.5m. His spending breakdown would make your eyes water.

Anyway, O’Neill probably threw away our chance of being a recognised big club and threw us under the bus by walking out. Would you do that if you were say Liverpool’s Head Coach? Walk out leaving the club in the lurch?

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

JW90 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:33 am I love the bloke, did an amazing job at my club with limited resources compared to other teams around us. Probably not top level but certainly an excellent Premier League and League Cup manager (four finals, two victories). Got Celtic to a European final too.
Watched us at Wembley in 2010, twice. Got us playing good counterattacking football, what’s not mentioned is how woeful our performances were towards the end of his regime, the injuries we had because of the regulars getting burnt out, blowing something like a ten point lead to Arsenal in March and missing out on qualification to the Champions League. He left us in a financial black hole and walked away when the owner put him under scrutiny. Looked like a bang average manager for Ireland.

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

That went well, Lawns…

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Lol. You know the Villa, Eddie. You may agree with parts of my posts about him.

antdad

Post by antdad »

:lol: He didn't do too badly at Celtic if I recall.

In another life had he beaten Porto he could've been Chelsea manager in 2004.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

I can understand your frustration but as an outsider looking at O'Neil's time in charge of Villa it appeared to be a successful period.

I don't think O'Neil was an overrated manager. He served the clubs he managed well. I don't think he was ever considered an elite manager (probably due to his playing style) and because of that he never got one of the big jobs (Celtic aside :lol: )

Harsh to call him overrated
A joyless arsehole.

EddieCheddar

Post by EddieCheddar »

kancutlawns wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:22 am Lol. You know the Villa, Eddie. You may agree with parts of my posts about him.
I know Villa fans, mate :lol:

I don’t think O’Neill spunked money up the wall at the Villa as Lerner was never really a cashed up owner. He was the type who butters his toast with a razor blade. Did a decent job wherever he’s been and for me, I’ll always have the Italy handshake and first half of the France game in 2016 as my reference point.

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

antdad wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:24 am :lol: He didn't do too badly at Celtic if I recall.

In another life had he beaten Porto he could've been Chelsea manager in 2004.
:lol: :lol: Now that's a sliding doors moment
A joyless arsehole.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

EddieCheddar wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:30 am
kancutlawns wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:22 am Lol. You know the Villa, Eddie. You may agree with parts of my posts about him.
I know Villa fans, mate :lol:

I don’t think O’Neill spunked money up the wall at the Villa as Lerner was never really a cashed up owner. He was the type who butters his toast with a razor blade. Did a decent job wherever he’s been and for me, I’ll always have the Italy handshake and first half of the France game in 2016 as my reference point.
Lerner brought a lot of money to the club. It was when he went through a very expensive divorce that he couldn’t sustain running Villa. It fell apart sadly but O’Neill infamously had the seventh highest wage bill in Europe at the time.

The Ghost of Alex Higgins
No longer the Bridesmaid

Post by The Ghost of Alex Higgins »

Fred needs DACTGIF
MAKING TALKFORUM GREAT AGAIN

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

The Ghost of Alex Higgins wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 am Fred needs DACTGIF
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe