Showing ID When You Vote

In-depth debate on all topical issues
Steve Hunt
Winner POTY - 2010 !!!!

Showing ID When You Vote

Post by Steve Hunt »

MPs have approved plans to make voter ID mandatory and abolish transferrable votes for mayors.

Good or bad?

Given the well publicised vote rigging scandal in Tower Hamlets, I don't really have a problem with this.

subsub

Re: Showing ID When You Vote

Post by subsub »

Steve Hunt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:38 pm MPs have approved plans to make voter ID mandatory and abolish transferrable votes for mayors.

Good or bad?

Given the well publicised vote rigging scandal in Tower Hamlets, I don't really have a problem with this.
Hi, Steve, hope you're well.
I've never understood that you can just rock up to a polling station, say any old name and they let you vote without checking.
Have also never understood why you don't need to take your polling card with you to vote.
WOKE AND PROUD

Salem

Post by Salem »

subsub wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:53 pm Hi, Steve, hope you're well.
I've never understood that you can just rock up to a polling station, say any old name and they let you vote without checking.
Have also never understood why you don't need to take your polling card with you to vote.
^^This^^ :shock: .

Hopefully this will bring an end to voter fraud

Good to 'see' you , Steve :D
"There was one victim"

MAGA...........'mon the Don 24 😎

Whispering Grass, don't tell the trees
'Cause the trees don't need to know .....

Vespa

Post by Vespa »

The government's own research shows voter fraud at a polling station is in single figures. At the last election, 58,000,000 votes were cases and 34 cases of fraud were reported.

They've now introduced a scheme where without a biometric ID to vote you can't vote, their own research shows 2 million people who do vote now don't have a biometric ID and over the next ten years will cost £180,000,000. That's £5,200,000 per reported voter fraud, most of which are postal and not covered under this law anyway.

David Davies has pointed out clearly why lining a biometric ID to your vote is invasive and the gateway to a national ID scheme.

Last edited by Vespa on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Vespa wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:41 pm The government's own research shows voter fraud at a polling station is in single figures. At the last election, 58,000,000 votes were cases and 34 cases of fraud were reported.

They've now introduced a scheme where without a biometric ID to vote you can't vote, their own research shows 2 million people who do vote no don't have a biometric ID and over the next ten years will cost £180,000,000. That's £5,200,000 per reported voter fraud, most of which are postal and not covered under this law anyway.

David Davies has pointed out clearly why lining a biometric ID to your vote is invasive and the gateway to a national ID scheme.

Reckon people will be stuffed then, I don't have a valid passport, I've never had a driving licence and the TFL Oyster card doesn't need photo ID.
If the London Borough of Barnet isn't in London where is it?

I'll say soccer whenever I want to soccer soccer soccer soccer bloody soccer
Sent from my Advent Monza S200 so bloody old I can't remember when I bought it

Zambo

Post by Zambo »

Even less people will bother to turn up. You receive a polling card through the post with your name and address on. You show that at the polling station and vote. Why bother to change it.
When your heart is blue, there is nothing you can do. Keep Right On

chelseachelsea

Post by chelseachelsea »

Zambo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm Even less people will bother to turn up. You receive a polling card through the post with your name and address on. You show that at the polling station and vote. Why bother to change it.
Totally agree, postal voting is where the majority of Fraudulent voting occurs and predominately in Labour areas.

birdie

Post by birdie »

Zambo wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:25 pm Even less people will bother to turn up. You receive a polling card through the post with your name and address on. You show that at the polling station and vote. Why bother to change it.
Yes, in a perfect world, I don't think it's off topic so I will tell you a story.
A few years ago himself had a spell of illness just around the time of a GE, for some reason he didn't trust the postal voting system so applied for me to do a proxy vote for him, the proxy card duly arrived, OK, but for one small difficulty, it wasn't for him, it was for some chap in an adjacent street.
Whoever it was at the council doing the paperwork cocked it up mightily, I phoned my boss at the council who trotted down to the office and dropped off the new card himself as there wouldn't be time to post a new one, he laughed about it but, as he was also on the roster for supervising a polling station he was concerned at the monumental error.
Having said that even with photo ID I could have voted on behalf of the chap in the next street, just goes to show that whatever the system there is always the human error element.

birdie

Post by birdie »

chelseachelsea wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:37 pm
Totally agree, postal voting is where the majority of Fraudulent voting occurs and predominately in Labour areas.
There was also concern somewhere in the Midlands, Bradford or some such, where the Imams demanded that people apply for postal votes and took them to him to be filled in, I think some young woman, with a bit of backbone, spilled it to the local press saying she was entitled to her vote and no one should be told by the Imam to hand over their voting paper for him to fill out.

There was also the case of a small flat above a shop in London somewhere with around two donzen applications for a postal vote, it was only the sharp eyes of a processing clerk which stopped those votes going out, and it just so happened that the flat was unoccupied at the time.

Sadact7

Post by Sadact7 »

birdie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 pm
There was also concern somewhere in the Midlands, Bradford or some such,
Geography not one of your stronger subjects?
Oh Five - Oh Two - Twenty Four

In a bit Foam Moe

Holden Mcgroyne

Post by Holden Mcgroyne »

Good,

Turnout might fall to 105% in Tower Hamlets.
There's no poem, just prose.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Surely the answer is finding a secure way for online voting. I long gave up going to vote, switching to postal was much more convenient.

kancutlawns

Post by kancutlawns »

Sadact7 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 pm
birdie wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 pm
There was also concern somewhere in the Midlands, Bradford or some such,
Geography not one of your stronger subjects?
Muslims innit?

subsub

Post by subsub »

You don't have to show your polling card when you vote, that's the point.
WOKE AND PROUD

shabbado

Post by shabbado »

subsub wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:13 am
You don't have to show your polling card when you vote, that's the point.
Always thought it was strange.

I moved house shortly before 2001 GE. The polling card was sent to my old address. I arranged with the new tenant to go round and collect the polling card and a couple of other bits of mail. Came as a bit of a shock that i didn't have to bother with the polling card at all.
A joyless arsehole.